V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My question is about how to weld from underneath the trike without getting red hot little "balls of fire" dropped down on me. Actually its a wire feed MIG machine that does MIG using solid wire or FCAW using flux-cored wire which is what I will be doing.

I just bought a tilt-kit from Adrian which looks great!, but I am a little nervous because I am going to have to MIG weld mine to the frame which I have never done before. The hard part will be welding UPSIDE DOWN (i.e inverted welding from underneath) until I can tilt the body up and weld from the top. I am planning on renting a Hobart 125A "Handler" using no gas, just using flux-filled .030 wire.

Adrian supplied 1.5" x 1/8" thick square box tubing. When I went to buy an extra piece I accidentally got a piece of 3/16" thick but it should be OK (I hope).

Wood Automotive lighting Bumper Finger Vehicle door
Motor vehicle Bumper Trunk Automotive design Automotive exterior

On my 57 Chevy, I have this darn fiberglass body obstruction underneath shown between the very back edge of the body and the bolt hinge that is preventing me from sliding my pivot bolt as far back as Adrian would like me to.

Hand Wood Gesture Finger Thumb

The only way to move the bolt back is to move the hinge pin out wide past the "bump" where it gets flat again.

I found a great informational link that I think any of use could benefit from regarding welding. I have read it twice now.

See:
http://stickweld.com/basic-information/190/

http://www.autobodystore.com/new_page_11.shtml

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/index.php?page=articles8.html

Like I said, I have never welded before. If anyone has any comments please let me hear em!

I think the wire that comes with the unit is shown below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
My question is about how to weld from underneath the trike without getting red hot little "balls of fire" dropped down on me.

I just bought a tilt-kit from Adrian which looks great!, but I am a little nervous because I am going to have to MIG weld mine to the frame which I have never done before. The hard part will be welding UPSIDE DOWN (i.e from underneath) until I can tilt the body up and weld from the top. I am planning on renting a Hobart 125A "Handler" using no gas, just using flux-filled .030 wire. Adrian supplied 1.5" x 1/8" thick square box tubing. When I went to buy an extra piece I accidentally got a piece of 3/16" thick but it should be OK (I hope).

View attachment 17488 View attachment 17490
On my 57 Chevy, I have this darn fiberglass body obstruction underneath shown between the very back edge of the body and the bolt hinge that is preventing me from sliding my pivot bolt as far back as Adrian would like me to.

View attachment 17489
The only way to move the bolt back is to move the hinge pin out wide past the "bump" where it gets flat again.

I found a great informational link that I think any of use could benefit from regarding welding. I have read it twice now.

See: http://www.autobodystore.com/new_page_11.shtml

Like I said, I have never welded before. If anyone has any comments please let me hear em!

If you've never welded before I would recommend you get somebody that is a welder and have him do it. Learn on something else.

·
Registered
232 Posts
To be honest for the price of renting the welder you could take it and have it welded by an expert. The time to learn to weld is not on brackets holding on the body. If you are determined to do so you can stitch weld upside down. In other words weld in short increments using an on off pattern with the weld. This we help diminish a sagging bead.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Flux core is a terrible wire to begin with unless it's the type to use with gas. It doesn't leave a nice looking bead ever...ever. I'm sure they produce that just to fit the small guys who don't want to rig up properly.

Welding is a trade and just because you can make sparks is about the same as flying the space shuttle just because you can light the rocket.

Like has been said, hire somebody.

stu

·
Registered
554 Posts
To be honest for the price of renting the welder you could take it and have it welded by an expert. The time to learn to weld is not on brackets holding on the body.
Couldn't agree more. Having done a fair amount of straight stick welding back in my younger farming days (Not TIG or MIG - only able to try them once), I personally would not want the first bead I try to run being one that has to be function. In my case it would likely turn out to have the looks and the holding power of eagle droppings. It takes a bit of practice to become accustomed to the proper angle, temperature and run rates which varies with metal types, thickness, welder set up, etc. Even if the weld is not going to show, I wouldn't risk having anything less than the full strength weld that I needed. I agree the best advice is to seek out the pro and let 'em have at it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Flux core is a terrible wire to begin with unless it's the type to use with gas. It doesn't leave a nice looking bead ever...ever. I'm sure they produce that just to fit the small guys who don't want to rig up properly.

Welding is a trade and just because you can make sparks is about the same as flying the space shuttle just because you can light the rocket.

Like has been said, hire somebody.

stu
Gotta argue with you Stu. Flux core is okay and DOES NOT require gas. The flux serves same as gas but I also say, don't try it yourself if you are not a welder. And I "are a certified welder" (Ironworker) That's my young butt on top of the St Louis Arch when we set the last piece in case you saw the film. Welded there also. Back in the good old day, my butt.
You use argon gas with straight wire feed. Flus core, no gas.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. I am reading this and know you guys have the experience to tell me what I need to know and that is why I asked. I am kinda bummed tho because I wanted to try it my hand a t a new skill. I guess tomorrow I will be trying to find to find a welder that I can trust with the new ride.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I'm a certified welder also. Flux core gets a bad rap from those that think it's a Mickey Mouse deal that Harbor Fright uses in their cheepo welders. There are three welding processes that are pre approved for all structural use, Stick, sub arc and flux core. I've run miles of the stuff on office towers, the LA Metrorail, water plants, etc. That being said, if you're welding overhead and getting all sorts of booger balls falling on you, yer doin' it wrong. There will be a shower of sparks and a leather apron or sleeves will protect you from most of it. For a one shot deal, an old sweatshirt will do, but keep an eye on it that it doesn't catch fire. You can get a very nice looking weld with flux core, but there is more spatter than with MIG. Also, remember that flux core runs straight polarity while MIG is reverse polarity

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
We tend to do our own welding at our shop, MIG, TIG, Stick, Oxy/Act. etc. Having the right tools for the job is key, but knowing if you got proper penetration, and proper support for the stresses that the piece will endure for the life of the Trike. Go for it.

As for what others said, if you choose not to use a Pro.... then atleast have somebody who has the know-how, check the work... it IS a support structure that you will need to count on. The trike Body that is..... Good luck!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<snip>... remember that flux core runs straight polarity while MIG is reverse polarity <snip>
Hey Carl. I was getting all of this straight in my head until your last sentence. I don't think that little rental MIG unit is not DCRP, but you threw me a curve here by mentioning polarity. Why does the polarity matter when it comes to welding? Tks.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
As far as the whys and wherefores you'd have to ask someone else. Straight polarity (Electrode Negative) runs hotter than reverse polarity, but I think there is more to it than that. I probably fell asleep during that class at welding school

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's just a controlled "short" right? I think I am gonna give this a try, at least tack welding it until a pro can finish it if needed. I do understand the critical need for preparation of the metal when MIG welding, grounding, penetration, wire speed, travel speed, current, stick-out, weld pool size, etc. I will know if I am butchering it or not, and if so I will hang it up and admit it. Will probably start this project in about two weeks. Stay tuned and thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It's just a controlled "short" right? I think I am gonna give this a try, at least tack welding it until a pro can finish it if needed. I do understand the critical need for preparation of the metal when MIG welding, grounding, penetration, wire speed, travel speed, current, stick-out, weld pool size, etc. I will know if I am butchering it or not, and if so I will hang it up and admit it. Will probably start this project in about two weeks. Stay tuned and thanks for all the advice.
Practice on some similar metals first to see if you feel comfortable about welding on your new trike.

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
Think of it this way..would you rent a welder and weld on of the Forum members trikes and send him merrily on his way? No you say..then why would you do it on your own expensive trike?? There has to be someone you know or a can hire for a decent price to do the job and do it right

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Hire a pro and have it done right . I do for anything I need welded and I have an excellent Pro for a friend who works for barter . He welds , I machine .

·
Registered
79 Posts
DC Reverse polarity sucks the weld into the joint of the two metals, AC streight polarity is a surface weld. It Takes hours not minuites to learn to weld. There are three differant positions: Flat, Vertical & Overhead. Overhead is the hardest. If you have never welded, you can't do it. and have it not fail, period!!! If you hate your Trike then do it yourself. :cry: John

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Johnny ******* said it perfectly "if you hate your trike do it yourself" For a few bucks you can have a good looking proper weld on an expensive piece of equipment. If you want to learn to weld there are a million ways to do it.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
AC is neither straight or reverse polarity. It is alternating current and changes polarity 120 times per second.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
DC Reverse polarity sucks the weld into the joint of the two metals, AC streight polarity is a surface weld. It Takes hours not minuites to learn to weld. There are three differant positions: Flat, Vertical & Overhead. Overhead is the hardest. If you have never welded, you can't do it. and have it not fail, period!!! If you hate your Trike then do it yourself. :cry: John
And then there's Aluminum .

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Hi,
No arguement here, except yes, we do use a flux core with gas for certain welding procedures, but it's not the same core as gasless wire. Also, we never use straight argon on ferrous welds. It tends to not penetrate as well. We use various mixtures of CO2, Nitrogen and Argon combined. I think our most common is called 75/25 CO2/Nitrogen.

Argon is good for Tigging aluminum and other types of metal.

And no, I am not a certified welder. I just have a few thousand hours running beads and fabbing under my belt. I am a certified electrician who worked at an open pit mine and spent many nights in the welding shop when there were no machines down in the pit just to stay busy. I love working with metal.

That is way cool that you did such a monumental landmark.

stu

Gotta argue with you Stu. Flux core is okay and DOES NOT require gas. The flux serves same as gas but I also say, don't try it yourself if you are not a welder. And I "are a certified welder" (Ironworker) That's my young butt on top of the St Louis Arch when we set the last piece in case you saw the film. Welded there also. Back in the good old day, my butt.
You use argon gas with straight wire feed. Flus core, no gas.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts