V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick note for those of you who deal with Marv @ Chopper City.......
He has been running quite a bit at one of the local 1/8 mile tracks for the past few weeks, this past Saturday, he developed a severe wobble as he went through the traps @ 130+.....he stayed with the bike until it went down at about 125......the bars actually slapped so hard before it went down that it pounded BOTH sides of the tank in about 4" :(

Marv walked away, but on Sunday morning he required additional attention and found out he had broken several bones in his right hand, a broken bone on his foot that will probably require it to be pinned and a lot of bruises on both hands from the tank beating :shock:

Wag & I got to see the bike Sunday at the track, it was a mess, ruptured the fuel tank, a NOS tank....really messed it up big time !

Doubt that he will be back in the shop for a few days, but you may want to send an e-mail to him @ the shop.

Tim

His buddy on a 540 CI was running consistant 6.20's and had a couple of really nice smooth passes while we were there.

·
Registered
526 Posts
GRUMPY said:
Just a quick note for those of you who deal with Marv @ Chopper City.......
He has been running quite a bit at one of the local 1/8 mile tracks for the past few weeks, this past Saturday, he developed a severe wobble as he went through the traps @ 130+.....he stayed with the bike until it went down at about 125......the bars actually slapped so hard before it went down that it pounded BOTH sides of the tank in about 4" :(

Marv walked away, but on Sunday morning he required additional attention and found out he had broken several bones in his right hand, a broken bone on his foot that will probably require it to be pinned and a lot of bruises on both hands from the tank beating :shock:

Wag & I got to see the bike Sunday at the track, it was a mess, ruptured the fuel tank, a NOS tank....really messed it up big time !

Doubt that he will be back in the shop for a few days, but you may want to send an e-mail to him @ the shop.

Tim

His buddy on a 540 CI was running consistant 6.20's and had a couple of really nice smooth passes while we were there.

Did you notice what rear tire he was running? This is not good news---Marv is not a young guy anymore and I hope he heals up quick!!!! :(

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I wish Marv the best for a fast recovery.

I remember a few years ago at a track in Iowa, Marv had the same
thing happen with the head shake, and had to shut down early.

I know he runs that shorten swingarm, but don't know how that would
effect handling.

Geez

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BD, we looked at the tire but not sure what exact tire it was. Not as young as he used to be, but he has had few major wrecks and usually comes out pretty well.

Geez, he had the problem for quite awahile, he had put 2 steering dampners on it to take the shake out, but I guess he been riding around the pits, loosened the dampners and forgot to tighten them before the run.

Tim

·
Registered
616 Posts
Tim,

Please give my best wishes for a speedy recovery to Marv when you see him. I'm sending him an email in the meantime.

That's pretty easy punishing he took when considering the potential. I suspect Marv is savvy enough to have been wearing decent protective gear by the outcome of it.

If his speed was in the 130 mph range, he must have been very close to the high 5 second times. Doug's 6.05 nets speeds in the mid 120's. Damn fast. That bigblock (stroker motor?) running 6.2's is mighty impressive. Undoubtedly those guys are using some big car tires.

Really glad he walked away from that one...again. Best,

Elliot

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Elliot,

I think Mel said Marv clicked at 133mph in the traps on that pass. Again, I'm not too sure which tire he had on, I know Mel was running a 15" street slick and I think Marv had gone to an 18" low profile fro that weekend. But yes they're stickier than bubble gum.

Mels 540 is real consistant in the low 6.20 range and the last round he ran a 6.16 and shut off pretty early.

Yeah, when we first saw the tank, both sides are smashed in right on the apex of the top curve near the fule caps, right where the bars normally come back. We thought the bike had hit both sides on the pavement, but Mel said that Marv thought the tank got pounded by his hands on the bars. Guess that would account for the broken bones in the hand and the badly bruised fingers on the other hand :cry:

When you look at the bike though, for going in at 125, it survived in pretty good shape.....lots of asthetic damage but the chassis, front end and swingarm looked pretty good......

I'll be sure to say "Hi" for ya when he gets back to the shop. I'm going to stop by tomorrow night and talk to the boys to see how he is doing.

Tim

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I spoke to Diane earlier today.

Marv had a doc appointment at 3pm to see if a pin was going to be
needed in his foot. I guess it is causing him alot of pain, but he is
on happy juice.

Diane said he was calling the shop every 5 minutes, as he's already
chomping at the bit to get back.

Geez

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Geez,

Did she say if they were going to cast his hand??? Gotta believe he'll have the cast made to fit the throttle grip :lol:

Tim

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
You could probably wish him well from all of us here. I got to meet him at the rally in Missouri in 2003 and my son and I really enjoyed talking with him. Quite a character.
Get Well Soon Marv.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Get well soon bro.

Marv, best wishes for a speedy recovery from Karen and I.

I am sure that you are already planning your next run at the track, so please be careful man.

Hope to see you again at the Boss Rally.

CR and Karen

PS. Maybe you should slow it down some and ride like this :lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
:) Marv, You old fart. That speed is just in your blood!!!!! Best wishes for a speedy recovery. See ya soon. Steve

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not sure if Ive met Marv or not, but he sounds like my kinda bud to hang with... best wishes Marv on the speedy Recovery. Glad to hear things werent worse than they coulda been... Giddyup!

Mosa

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Marv,
Get well soon... we need our role model to be in the saddle screaming down the track/street showing us how it's done and developing more go-fast goodies!

I'm ready to party with you again at The Ironhorse and Main Street in Daytona... is it March yet?!?!

Bill

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just spoke to Marv this afternoon.

Sounded like his normal self, and figures he will be off a bike for
about two weeks :shock:

Mostly talked about times at the strip, as he was going for his Pro license
that day. His best time was 5.85 at 135mph in the eight mile, without
using the NOS.

He said it was time to dust off the Big Block, as he figures the rebuilding
of the small block bike is a winter time project.

It's great that he is doing so well :!: :!:

I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up at the LaCrosse gathering for a
day or two mid week. :D :D

Geezer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts