V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are planning a trip down to the Florida keys starting this weekend, and I am concerned about the luggage rack on my 2002. I plan on packing the T-Bag (You know with a woman how heavy it will be :lol: ). On the '97 I had, I made a stainless plate and bolted it to the rigid sissy bar and had no problems. But on the 2002, I am concerned because the way the luggage rack is attached...only with the screws, and it is holding the rack and the passenger backrest. Due to this, there is no way for "extra" support, other than the rack itself. Does anyone have experience traveling with a T-Bag (or similar luggage) on the 2002 up models? Any and all input/suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Mike,

I asked about this a while back myself. Believe it or not, that luggage rack is rated, according to Boss Hoss, for 15 lbs. I have had my T-Bag loaded down and probably weighed around 60 lbs before. This was before I knew about the 15lb deal. Whovever built my bike used a stud screw under the fender to mount the top cover (seat) to the luggage rack and fender. Bascially, with the loaded down luggae rack and me not thinking to adjust my shocks for the extra weight, I grooved my rear time something fierce. Right down to the chords before somone else pointed it out to me. (thankfully). I now have a rounded bolt head and that should never be a problem again. We need something that could attach temporarily to the luggage rack to support it from the sides. I feel like it will hold quite a bit ore than 15 lbs but it does make you wonder how much is really safe without breaking the rear fender or something likt that.

Chris

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Do what I did...buy the wife a trike with a BIG trunk!

Multiple benefits: 1) Big storage. 2) The bike looks better without the sissybar/luggage rack. 3) I have become much more proficient at those 100 yard long burnouts...the wife didn't like being on the back for those too much anyway...the wimp!

Bill

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Bill,
That would definitely solve the luggage problem! I am , however, looking for a solution to this problem. I have had my bag loaded down before I learned about the load rating, for what it's worth. If anybody has any ideas about a simple solution that would be temporary and quick to install I am all ears. I had thought about a rod on each side of the lucggage rack that could bolt to the slider cover. It would look horrendous but solve the weight issue until one could get from A to B and then shed the thing. I don't want saddle bags and the T-Bag is really too big to throw on the back seat so I need the rack. I guess I could FedEx my sttuff to point B and carry a smaller bag with a couple nights clothes! I've done some long trips and it is a must to have a big bag. I guess I could buy a trailer. :)

Chris

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Chris,
If you put a lot of weight on the luggage rack, there is a chance you could bend the tail section of the frame that the rack bolts to, which will also bring that bolt head closer to the tire! You have to come up with a way to support it. Maybe some kind of removable rods like you mentioned. I think someone on the Yahoo site said they welded some angle iron on the tail piece to make it stronger.
The biggest thing is the clearance between the bolt and your tire, which you already know about. And if you'll be two up........
I have my shocks cranked up a bit, and ground the head of that bolt down, and I still saw a bit of rubber on it when I changed the tire a few days ago. I'm considering getting longer shocks from Alden.
Shipping your stuff ahead isn't a bad idea! Then you can carry only the "essentials" with you.
If you come up with a "temporary" support system, I'd love to hear about it. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bolted a 11/2 x 1/2 steel channel to the top of the tail piece to reinforce it. I have carried a big heavy bag on it for 20,000 miles with no problems.

KAVEMAN

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a 2002 *.I. smallblock . I just got a digital camera, if I can find the time I will figure out how to post pics.

KAVEMAN

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Any pics of reinforced luggage rack setup?

kaveman said:
I have a 2002 *.I. smallblock . I just got a digital camera, if I can find the time I will figure out how to post pics.

KAVEMAN
I'm wondering if these pics were posted somewhere. Would like to see how this was done.

Thanks in advance
Aldo

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chris....I have been using T-bags forever, and the fear of overloading the luggage rack is real. What I do on my 2001 SB is put shoes, clothes, toiletries and other light objects in the T-bag and any heavy stuff in a black duffle (matches the T-bag) which goes on the seat with web bungees. Of course, if my wife Joanie is on the back I visit the UPS store. Steve

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
No doubt the older style racks were the ticket. As far as the new style luggage rack goes...15lbs just won't cut it. I've had way more than that on it but that is the factory's numbers.

Chris

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
The pre-2001 luggage racks were strong enough to hold a bulldozer and I have put very heavy packs on it. The rack relies on the rear frame member and almost can't fail. Is rigid and strong as hell. I think I could sit on it with no problem. Sometimes older is better..Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts