V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( I just discovered a small fluid leak in the left fork leg at the joint where the chrome portion of the lower leg meets the satin finish portion, just above where the caliper bracket attaches. It doesn't leak if just sitting, but will "weep" a bit while riding. Debbie, at Stamford BH told me there is an O-ring there, and the two parts screw together, and the threads have Loc-tite blue on them. She said the factory recommends sending the leg to them to be repaired, with an approx 3 week turnaround time. Has anyone had this portion of the leg apart, and if so, what's the best way to do it. I'd rather not have the bike down for three weeks (or more) at this time of year. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just looked in the manual and found the instructions for replacing the O-ring. Looks pretty involved to me. Unless someone has a shortcut, I'll have to live with it for the season, and hope it doesn't get worse, or bite the bullet, and send it back to the factory. CURSES!!! :x :x

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I had to change the springs on my wife's 32 and it was a real bear. There is a special tool to take it apart but no one had one so I made the tool. I put the flat part of the lower leg in my vise and got after it. No doubt it is a lunch eater and if it were me I would keep cleaning it and let the factory fix it.
You can use my tool if you want and give it a try. E-mail me at.
[email protected]

All I would ask is when you send it back just pay for the postage back and forth.

Adrian
209-869-1672

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Adrian!
After reading about it, I will just give it a quick wipe now and then, and send it to the factory when the time is right. As they saying goes, "Know your limitations!" Thanks for the offer to use the tool! :capwin:

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I thought about that last night and these forks are the hardest to get apart I have ever seen. For some reason my thought process has slipped some so I try anything. Generally I get-r-done but some are wars.

My quote "I have done so much for so long with so little I can do anything with nothing". Or at least I think I can but I know that it's not true

Adrian

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Christ,Don!....This hasn't been your luckiest riding year. If Adrian says it's a bear to do...I'd stay away and just clean it up for the rest of the season unless it gets really bad. Then, as you said, send it back to the factory.
These small pain in the ass things really piss you off...I know, especially for compulsive cleaners like you and me...Joe

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're right Joe...........and I haven't really even ridden much yet.
Some days it doesn't pay to get out from under the covers!! Ha Ha! Oh well..........keep smiling! :D

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glenn,
Ha Ha Ha!! Good point!! Then I'll know exactly how much fluid I'll need to add. Perfect! :D :D

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I pulled up this older thread because I also have a front fork leak. VReater was kind enough to let me know that my 2001 Kannon may have inverted "American Suspension" forks. Are these the same that are on your Bosses? I was (maybe) hoping that since they are so hard to work on, if i could send 'em out to be fitted with new seals. No sense doing one fork and not the other, as the bike sat for awhile and probably caused both "O" rings to dry out. - Greg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don,

They are American Suspension forks. I bought a set from them made longer for my chopper. You will want to talk to Vince. I have 2 numbers for them one is the business # and the other is Vinces cell #, I just don't remember which is which.

714-715-8144
714-799-3619

Good luck,
Bill

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Both my front forks leak

Both my front forks leak on my '04 with less than 8000 miles, both forks leak while riding, making a mess all over the lower airdam. Besides duct taping the leaky area, until the winter, when I can find 3 weeks that I'm not riding, is there any other suggested ways for stopping the loss of fluid?

Thanks

Aldo

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Aido...I think the short answer is....NO. According to Adrian rebuilding these forks is a real bear. I would suggest you remove them this winter and send them back for the rebuild...Joe

·
Registered
404 Posts
chopperman said:
Don,

They are American Suspension forks. I bought a set from them made longer for my chopper. You will want to talk to Vince. I have 2 numbers for them one is the business # and the other is Vinces cell #, I just don't remember which is which.

714-715-8144
714-799-3619

Good luck,
Bill
Damn I like that chopper look!

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Re: Fork Leg Leak

HAWK88 said:
Aldo;

Are you already out the back end of your 1 year warranty?

If it was even close I'd squeal!

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips
Yep, Out of warranty, by 3 months.

Aldo

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I might as well scream in the wind...

I might as well scream in the wind...if I expect a resolution

But I will send the factory an email and provide them details so that this problem is logged, so that quality can be improved. I cleaned the area thoroughly and applied black duct tape. Leak stopped. I'm even looking for a nice chrome clamp to go over that area to hide the duct tape. We'll see how long the duct tape holds up.

Aldo

1 - 20 of 39 Posts