V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a pair of gas caps for my birthday from the wife and kids. They are the Kuryakyn caps. Here is a picture:



The fuel side went in smooth like silk. But the other side won't go on. Turns about 1 turn and then binds up. Does anyone else have these caps and if so, did you have any problems putting them on?


Hoss
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
hossman said:
I just got a pair of gas caps for my birthday from the wife and kids. They are the Kuryakyn caps. Here is a picture:



The fuel side went in smooth like silk. But the other side won't go on. Turns about 1 turn and then binds up. Does anyone else have these caps and if so, did you have any problems putting them on?


Hoss
Hoss

I had the same problem with my caps I bought - V-Twin/Flush Mount/Pop Ups



I had to grind down the lower portion (plug in left side tank fill kept cap from seating all the way down) and I also used a grinder and a rat file to narrow the threaded portion on the cap. It was a pain but worth it IMO - looks much better.

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neil,

I have both a left and a right thread cap. That was the first thing I checked.


Don,

I think that grinding is the ticket. That is the conclusion I came to today. For some reason it just won't thread properly. When I hold the caps together, the threads look like the same pattern. I even tried greasing it up. I am thinking of either cutting half of it off, or grinding it as you did.


Hoss
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
hossman said:
Don,

I think that grinding is the ticket. That is the conclusion I came to today. For some reason it just won't thread properly. When I hold the caps together, the threads look like the same pattern. I even tried greasing it up. I am thinking of either cutting half of it off, or grinding it as you did.


Hoss
Hoss
I think that is the only solution you have. Do a little at a time, don't need to remove much material for it to fit.

BTW
NICE CAPS!
Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,619 Posts
Don , question about your gas caps . Does the outer screw in deal fit flush on the tank and do you silicone under it ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don,

Grinding did the trick. I took the grinder to it a little at a time and eventually I got it to work. Looks great. Thanks for the tip.


Hoss
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
HogV8 said:
Don , question about your gas caps . Does the outer screw in deal fit flush on the tank and do you silicone under it ?
Jack

My caps are actually one piece ... the entire things screws in then the center portion pushes in and locks down (1/4 turn) to give the flush look. To open you push center portion down, rotate 1/4 turn and it pops up to unscrew the whole thing. Neat set up, I really like the looks a lot!

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
hossman said:
Don,

Grinding did the trick. I took the grinder to it a little at a time and eventually I got it to work. Looks great. Thanks for the tip.


Hoss
Hoss
Excellent! Glad you got them on and working! :D BTW Great picture in your sig line :)
Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,619 Posts
Thanks Don , I thought maybe just the portion that popped up unscrewed . Now I understand .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
Hoss
My kuriakin paint saver cap leakes gas out the top when I have a full tank. The cap is vented . When I tighten the cap there seems to be a solid hit instead of a slightly gradual tightening of rubber. At first because of just filling the tank and going 120 mph I thought it might be vaccum over the tank pulling gas out. But now it has done it at low speed with full tank. Have you encountered any leaking and when you tighten cap can you feel the seal engaging.
Just read vmans post. Maybe threaded portion of cap is to long.


Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill, I had fuel come out just once, and it was soon after putting the caps on. The caps came with two types of gasket. My tank required the "bung" type seal. You might try using the other gasket to see if that helps. My leak seems to have fixed itself. Maybe the seal just needed to set. Carry a towel with you until you get it fixed. :roll:

Also, if it seems to be bottoming out, you might try grinding a quarter inch off the bottom.


Hoss
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,643 Posts
hossman said:
Bill, I had fuel come out just once, and it was soon after putting the caps on. The caps came with two types of gasket. My tank required the "bung" type seal. You might try using the other gasket to see if that helps. My leak seems to have fixed itself. Maybe the seal just needed to set. Carry a towel with you until you get it fixed. :roll:

Also, if it seems to be bottoming out, you might try grinding a quarter inch off the bottom.


Hoss
Hoss

As you found out the grinding is the answer to get them on However you need to plug the vent hole or you will have a paint problem. I took the screw out and used J B Weld quick and that was the end of the leak. I got mine from Tim S and he told me about the need to plug the hole.

Adrian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
Adrian
Just to clear this up in my own mind, if I plug the vent hole will the tank vapour lock or will the overflow provide air to the tank.

Hoss
Did you use the flat or the tapered seal. I dont know what a bung shape is.

Bill
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,643 Posts
buyarbi said:
Adrian
Just to clear this up in my own mind, if I plug the vent hole will the tank vapour lock or will the overflow provide air to the tank.

Hoss
Did you use the flat or the tapered seal. I dont know what a bung shape is.

Bill

Not at all. The tank is vented through a hose that goes to the ground. You do not want a vented cap.
I used the one that looked like a u shape.

Adrian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
buyarbi said:
Hoss
Did you use the flat or the tapered seal. I dont know what a bung shape is.

Bill
Bill, the directions explain that one is for a flush install and the other is for the bung tank. The bung tank has a raised lip around the gas opening.

Hoss
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
Hoss

Still looking at the leak problem. It hasnt leaked again ,yet. The location of the leak is not between the tank and the stationary part of the cap.
It comes from between the removable filler cap and the stationary part. Is this where yours leaked.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bill,

Sorry buddy. I don't think that that is where mine leaked at. I could be wrong, it was a while ago. I think that mine leaked between the tank and the stationary part.


Hoss
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
Hoss

Finally called kuriakyn directly. They said it is not normal and to take the cap back to the place I bought it for warranty exchange. So that is the next move. We will see.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
Went back to place I bought the caps and we had a close look. Seems the o-ring on the movable part of the cap was to small and did not seat properly. Went to john deer and got a little fatty to replace mr skinny and
after $1.65. and some egg on my face :oops: for the simplicity of the fix, it seems OK.

Bill
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top