V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a Kannon, 2 wheeler with a Ford 302 motor. It has a single speed automatic with no reverse. Can anyone give me pro's or con's about this bike, the trans, or the manufacturer :?:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ravinsomniac said:
I am about to purchase a Kannon, 2 wheeler with a Ford 302 motor. It has a single speed automatic with no reverse. Can anyone give me pro's or con's about this bike, the trans, or the manufacturer :?:
The fact that Kannon is gone and won't be able to support any problems you might have would be one concern. If you are getting a really good deal on the bike then that may not matter. The tranny is the only real thing you would need parts for, everything else can be bought or made elsewhere.

The trannys are good from what I am told and you should be able to get parts from www.v8choppers.com

Not sure what the hp of the 302 is but it won't be enough. ;)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I need to find out more about the way the trans works in case I have to repair it. Back in 1975, I bought a 1968 GT500KR Shelby Cobra show car that I had for 5 years. That's why I now want a Ford powered bike. 300 horse is enough for me to start with. :wink: I starting riding a Rupp mini bike 40 some years ago, and progressed to a dirt bike, then enduro bike, then a Harley 350 thumper, a Suzuki 750 water buffalo, Harley panhead, and then the KZ1000 that I have owned for the past 27 years. I'm putting the 1977 KZ up for sale, cause I figure it's time to get something insane like an automobile powered, 2 wheel motorcycle. Who knows, next might be nitrous, then a supercharger. If I get really bored, I can get a Pratt Whitney jet engine, mount a couple tires and a seat on it, and go chase some kids on their new millennium rice burners. :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
kannon

I just bought a kannon and have not had any problems with it ...but mine didn't have a nutral lock out switch or a gas tank reserve ...so the bike COULD/WOULD start in gear, so i put a safety lock out switch and a reserve in the gas tank, other then that no problens mines a 350 chevy...

·
Registered
838 Posts
Ravinsomniac,
As far as I know Kannon installed modified Ford C4 trannys in their bikes.
Somebody wrote in an early posting a couple of years ago, that he
rebuilded a Kannon tranny for just 130 bucks.

Loaf

PS: Lamont is right, be prepared for another 3000 USD after a couple
of month for a 351W with some goodies :wink:
Bigger is always better...hehehe

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Welcome

Ravinsomniac;

Welcome!

The Director of Maintenance of the Co. I flew for in Shv., LA. rode a Kannon for several years with very little trouble, and covered lots of miles.

He finally "lunched" something in his trans (single speed auto), and like Loaf said, I'm pretty sure he got most of the repair parts over the counter from Ford, or Ford compatible parts.

His had a ZZ4 Chev eng.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 302 Kannon that handles and performs real well for a big bike. Its center of gravity is low and I find it easier to hold up than my buddy's Road King. As far as power is concerned, the 302 they have on the Kannon is pretty close to the engines they put in the SVO mustangs (without the emissions garbage). If you've ever tried to keep up with one of those 'Stangs, you know the engine is pretty stout. I too am a Ford guy, so owning something a little different feels pretty good. The transmissions utilize a lot of parts from the old Ford C4. Most good trans shops should be able to help you out should it break, but from what I am told the unit is pretty tough. The bike itself is...uh...fairly low tech (not nearly as complex as a Boss) so repairing it and finding parts has not been much of a challenge. The only thing I have had to do to my bike is replace the fan and rebuild the rear master cylinder. Got the fan at a street rod shop and got the rebuild kit from the Harley store.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reassurance. The 302 is an engine I am comfortble with as I rebuilt one many years ago. I bored it 30 over to a 306, added a hi-po cam, 351W heads for better breathing, 750 Holley with a medium riser manifold, Hooker headers, on & on.... I know a little about the C4 and C6 autos, so that should not be a problem. I found my bike on eBay. There was another beautiful blue Kannon with a Chevy for sale at the same time. The Chevy did not sell, but I was in contact with the owner several times. He still wants to sell it. It is in West Virginia. Contact me if you want his name and number. I'm not sure how tight Lamont keeps the security on this forum, to give out someones name and phone number. As soon as I get my bike and take some photos, I'll sent 'em in. I'm glad to be part of this forum, and glad to know that I'm not the only one crazy enough to ride a motorcycle with an engine that belongs in truck :shock:

·
Registered
838 Posts
I too have ever been a Ford guy. My Boss is the first Chevy powered
vehicle I own. If Boss Hoss had a Ford engine option, I think I
would have bought it. I've seen the Kannon bikes with the 302 in
99 in Sturgis, and was in love. But they didn't made them road legal
for Germany, so I ended up with my "Chevy bike". I learned to like
the Chevy engine over time, because there are sooo many parts available,
and they are cheaper than Ford parts as well. I still can hear the
sentences "Not available for a 460 Ford BB"...or "yes, available, but
twice the Chevy price", when I rebuilded my Lincoln Continental MK IV's
engine. But - as said - if I were able to choose, then I would have
choosen the Ford option. Many congrats to your new ride.

Please post some pictures for us. :capwin:

Loaf

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kannons are good

I had a seal go out of the tranny in my Kannon, and it was an easy fix with stock Ford C4 tranny parts.
There are very few actual Kannon parts on the bike, the frame, swingarm and tranny is the bulk of it.
I like the Kannon, good bike,
Patrick

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VReater, since you own a Ford based Kannon, what year is your 302 ? Is it an earlier cast rocker motor, or is it a newer roller rocker, Mustang motor?....Not to leave you "Boss" guys out, is your motor the old 283-350 style, or is it the newer Vette, Camaro motor ? It's funny for me to hear you guys say, "Boss"... The only Boss I knew in 1969 and 70, was the Boss 302, and rare Boss 429. I would love to get a super rare, 1967 Ford 427 SOHC (sock) race motor and stuff it in a bike frame. I like Chevy's too. Rare ones, even more. Back in the early 70"s , my neighbor had a 1968, Z 28 with a Chevy 302. Now, put one of those high revving babies in your Boss or Kannon, and get some serious tire smoke !

·
Registered
83 Posts
My Kannon is a 1998 model. A buddy of mine who restores Mustangs said the casting numbers off of my block indicate it is from 1968. He said the blocks from 68 to 72 (I think) are the ones to have. I'll have to take his word for it. It has the aluminum SVO heads on it as well as a Weiand intake and a Demon 650 carb. It also has a Mallory Unilite distributer and coil setup. I have read that the Kannon 302's were supposed to make 310 HP. Since it doesn't take much to eat up all the V-twins I ride with, I couldn't tell you if it was really making that much or not. I can tell you that the 0 to 100 sprint is a lot quicker on the Kannon than on my big bore 108 CI Warrior that dyno'd out at 112 hp to the rear wheel. And that bike only weighed 575 pounds. Hope you have as much fun on your Kannon as I have on mine.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you know how long Kannon was in business, and about how many bikes they made? I'm buying my bike from the original owner, who bought it in Dec. 2000. It's titled as a 2001. Has anyone had any problems getting their Boss or Kannon bike registered with D.M.V. ? I built a kit car years ago, and all the red tape and paperwork getting it registered was a real pain in the butt.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The title on mine went right through the Florida DMV without a problem. Also I got insurance at Progressive with no problems at a real fair price. Was only about $100 a year more than my Warrior. Some of the other guys might know the years better than I, but from the limited amount of info that I found on the web it looks like they started somewhere near 94 and ended around 03. Hopefully someone else has those specifics.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I bought the bike, and now I'm one of you, an automobile powered, motorcycle enthusiast. 8) My friends said I would kill myself on a Ford powered Kannon, but with a little slow practice, it's a piece of cake. I drove lots of things, including rear wheel steering forklifts that were harder to learn than this. Try driving a small tire forklift in a straight line at 30 miles an hour, like I did as a teenager 35 years ago. (okay, I did roll a 5 ton Yale on its side, but I didn't get fired) I said the propane valve got stuck...Anyway, as soon as I get some photos, I'll send them to Lamont. Now, I don't want any old High School remarks from you Chevy guys, like FORD (Found On Road Dead) or (Fricking Old Rebuilt Dodge), I always liked (FIRST ON RACE DAY) !!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Congrats Bro

Just rode my Boss 350 for the 1st time last night. A blash heh!
Congrats on the new ride. Every time I see the thing, I get this uncontrollable maniacal grin....Best fun you can have with your clothes on!

Keep the rubber side spinnin'
Aldo

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
How about , FIX OR REPAIR DAILY . Just kidding , good luck with the Kannon . By the way , I almost backed a fork lift of a loading dock once but luckily it got hung up on the edge . Didn't get fired either because I was the Boss .

Jack

1 - 18 of 18 Posts