V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks Mike , I haven't figured out how to post pictures here yet. The pictures I took don't really do the polish job justice. The pulley really came out much better than the pictures .

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Lamont , I guess I do need help to understand how to post pictures here . My wife is a pretty savvy computer nut and she said she could probably figure it out when she had more time , but if you could explain how step by step , I could probably figure it out for myself . Sorry but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks .

Thanks , Jack

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tim , I'm in the process of polishing the rear hub now . Man it never ends does it ?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Nope it never does until ya chrome it :lol:

I think that was one of the biggest reasons I went with everything chrome when I changed the wheels.....all the spacers, hub....all went chrome. It adds up, but I guess I was too lazy to take the bike apart again to polish the hub and spacers. But once their done, they really make a huge difference in my opinion.

Are you going to run your belt guards??

Tim

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Jack..
If ya don't mind my asking, if you had someone else polish the pulley, what did it cost you? Thanks......Stay warm!!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Don , the shop that polished the pulley claimed he spent about 10 hours total on the pulley and because the pulley is made of cast magnesium it was a bitch . He charged me $ 160.00 . I was prepared to pay about $ 200.00 , so I'm happy . The outer ring of the pulley is steel and I'm going to try to keep it polished . If it starts to get out of control and rust , I will paint the flange on the outer ring black .

Tim , I run the lower belt guard but not the upper guard. Without that lower belt guard it's awful easy to pick up a stone or something and have it go around the pulley and with the belt that tight you know what would happen next . Dam , I guess now I'll have to the spacers chromed. If I was still working and had access to all that machinery I would make them out of 300 series stainless steel.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I tried to polish the hub, too. But it is made of some kind of cast aluminum alloy, which "don't want to be polished"...hehehhe. Just began
to smell like vinegar- but no shine. I gave up after 1 hour.

Loaf

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wound up takeing my hub to a professional to heve my hub polished and because it is cast alum. , all kinds of porosity showed up. It's shinny , but I almost think it looked better with the dull finish .

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I had my hub chrome plated and it looks good. I just took one down to the local chrome man for my friend and the chrome guy called saying it will have a few pits but should look OK. I know it will look better than the polish job especially with the wheels chromed. Cost is $120.

Adrian

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Jack

I have a pulley off a 02 and looks like yours so I want to know can it be chrome with out any trouble? I want to do that if you can chrome the stuff also I want to see how yours look on the bike and what you think after it is on. Please send me or everyone, a picture of it when it is on.

Thanks Adrian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts