V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times have you had someone you don't or barely know, work on your bike, and mess things up? Cross threaded bolts, wrong parts installed, ect. I would just like to know how many Boss riders work on their own bikes, from top to bottom? I had a guy mount a tire today, and he screwed that up ! That's why I'm miffed ! :evil:

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
The saying that "Good mechanics aren't expensive, they're priceless" is true. I have a real genius who travels to my house and does the heavy work in my garage. He has a very deep understanding of what goes on in the engine and tranny as well as the electrical stuff. Brings his own engine hoist, etc. and the tools I don't have. Ue gets a Master Mechanic recertification from GM yearly and has a long history of building dragsters and modified cars. This is the guy who built my stroker motor which runs like a bandit, mechanically dead quiet and reliable as a stone for 12,000 miles.
I can do the small crap but a full teardown and reinstall of all components...I don't think so. I wish I had the ability of some of the guys here but I just don't and realizing my limitations has served me well. I do have to say that when I've tried to tackle the bigger jobs when he has not been available I've done well with the help of all of you here.
When I had my Harley stroker I would almost always have to redo the mess made by the shop sio I know what you mean...Joe

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Ravinsomniac said:
I had a guy mount a tire today, and he screwed that up ! That's why I'm miffed ! :evil:
Sounds like my world ... I also need a rear tire so I checked with many motorcycle shops in the area. I found a shop that told me "no problem, when the new tire arrives bring it by and we'll take of it for you". The new tire arrived and I had the wheel pulled and waiting. Long story short they TRASHED my wheel

I'm sure glad I had the stock wheel and fresh 230 mounted sitting in the corner of the garage otherwise my bike would have been on jack stands for 5 - 6 weeks (timeframe to get new wheel cut, chrome and shipped) :?

The only thing that makes me feal a little better is knowing this will cost the shop a big chunk of money for the new wheel :roll: The damage was not an accident the damage is because they did not care ...

Hope your tire situation was worked out for you ...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
V-man, sorry to say, it sounds like your experience was worse than mine. It's wise they don't leave a baseball bat next to their front counter. :twisted: Could I ask what a 230/60/15 Avon cost you, and how much was the mounting? (if they did it right) -Greg

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Ravinsomniac said:
V-man, sorry to say, it sounds like your experience was worse than mine. It's wise they don't leave a baseball bat next to their front counter. :twisted: Could I ask what a 230/60/15 Avon cost you, and how much was the mounting? (if they did it right) -Greg
Greg

My wheels were replaced with the 18" wheels before I took the bike on the road when new so I had the stock wheels and tires sitting in my garage with zero miles on them. I have no idea what the cost of the 230 tire is but I bet others can answer that question. I can say the 230 has much MORE meat on it then my 250 AVON or 240 Metzler ... actually a very good ride too

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I bought 230 tires from Honda direct for about $190.00 I have them mounted and balanced at a place that mounts car tires on custom wheels . So far they have been very careful . Of course you have to take the center hub, pulley and rotor off for it to fit on the tire changer .

Jack

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack, I stopped by my local bike shop that has worked on my 1977 KZ1000 for the past 25 years. He gave me a price of $195.00 plus mounting for the Avon 230. At least they are in the same ballpark pricewise. Thanks. - Greg

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
That's a good price but I'd be surprised if their tire changer would except the rear rim . Maybe , but I've always had to take mine to a car tire shop to get it mounted and balanced .

Jack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts