V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am getting to the age that if I don't get a Hoss now I may never do it. So I'm researching buying in the States, riding it to the shippers and shipping it to England with me converting it to left hand roads etc.

I have been picking up some info on registration issues in Europe - In England my local Driver Licensing people advise me that registering a SB isn't too difficult as long as I can , however I can't rely on the advice of a local administrator when big bucks are involved. I have read the guidance and it appears that if the bike is over 10yrs old it doesn't need to undergo a Single Vehicle Approval test (SVA). If that is the case anyone know if another test applies apart from an MOT? (my local MOT guy doesn't test emissions on bikes.)

If I could source in Europe my research has indicated a European bike will have a certificate of conformity or Mutual recognition which could be used to register the bike. But Euro prices are very high compared with the States even after me flying out to LA say and shipping it back.

Please can anyone who has done this or knows about it advise me on what I'd need to get the bike exported from the States and riding on a British road legally.

Best regards,
Gordon

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Bike

I have a real stupid question, how does one convert a motorcycle to "left hand driving?" Cars I understand, but a bike? BTW, the V8 group has several members living in GB and Ireland.
Buck

·
Registered
554 Posts
how does one convert a motorcycle to "left hand driving?"
Come on, Buck...........DUH............that's easy. You simply reposition the throttle, hand and foot brake to the left side of the bike, the shifter and kickstand to the right side. And of course you have to change the turn signals out and switch sides for them as well. Done. :tour: Oh, almost forgot. Have to switch the mirrors as well.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Left hand drive?

Okay,

You guys got me with my phraseology :roll: - left hand drive = amber turn lights, separate brake light from turn lights if fitted, rear view mirror on right side of bars and new headlamp that dips to the left, not right, oh and any front fender or running lights showing amber to the front is a no-no. I had to chuckle at all the other 'conversions' mdwdvm.

And a million apologies to the Canucks - I have widened my search immediately - duly toasted. Thanks CanuckHoss for the German lead - I'll get onto it.

Gordon from sunny England (that statement only fresh for this email)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Add several thousand dollars

Hi Gordon...DONT FORGET TO TOTAL UP THE HIDDEN COSTS....there are many thousands of dollars,just to get the bike on the UK shoreline,,,two taxes,£2500 for the boat, amongst many others,the red tape crap will test you,the bike testing (they will pass a bald tyre as long as its manufacturer recommended ,it will make you laugh),,,,but its worth it to own one ,,

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
bike

Come on, Buck...........DUH............that's easy. You simply reposition the throttle, hand and foot brake to the left side of the bike, the shifter and kickstand to the right side. And of course you have to change the turn signals out and switch sides for them as well. Done.
Oh, almost forgot. Have to switch the mirrors as well.
also don't forget the most important of all the conversions, turning the tires around so the right side now becomes the left, etc.......
Buck

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
Okay,

You guys got me with my phraseology :roll: - left hand drive = amber turn lights, separate brake light from turn lights if fitted, rear view mirror on right side of bars and new headlamp that dips to the left, not right, oh and any front fender or running lights showing amber to the front is a no-no. I had to chuckle at all the other 'conversions' mdwdvm.

And a million apologies to the Canucks - I have widened my search immediately - duly toasted. Thanks CanuckHoss for the German lead - I'll get onto it.

Gordon from sunny England (that statement only fresh for this email)
Gordon,

Boss Hoss Germany has containers leaving the Boss Hoss Factory every so often all year long. It has new bikes in it and also used ones that they purchase. If you could get a bike in their container and then ship from Germany or ride it home from there is probably a great option.

There are some really nice Boss Hoss bikes out there right now for sale....don't miss them if you are serious

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi CanuckHoss,

RE Canadian Hosses - can you recommend a competitive yet safe motorcycle-friendly shipper from Canada to UK?

Thanks,
Gordon

·
Registered
512 Posts
Gordon,

Boss Hoss Germany has containers leaving the Boss Hoss Factory every so often all year long. It has new bikes in it and also used ones that they purchase. If you could get a bike in their container and then ship from Germany or ride it home from there is probably a great option.

Barry you may want to check with Andy before saying all that,hes a good guy and may be fine,,, I say this as he has worked hard for the full European exclusive licence from BH,he is the main BH dealer all other European BH outlets are under him,,,,,

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
Gordon,

Barry you may want to check with Andy before saying all that,hes a good guy and may be fine,,, I say this as he has worked hard for the full European exclusive licence from BH,he is the main BH dealer all other European BH outlets are under him,,,,,
Was just a suggestion...is not a secret or anything as far as I know....was not committing Andy to anything...all is good hopefully

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Come on, Buck...........DUH............that's easy. You simply reposition the throttle, hand and foot brake to the left side of the bike, the shifter and kickstand to the right side. And of course you have to change the turn signals out and switch sides for them as well. Done. :tour: Oh, almost forgot. Have to switch the mirrors as well.
Also you have to lean more to the right when counter-steering :mrgreen:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gordon = Why don't you step up to the plate and go for a BB, that way you will only have to do it once :)
Hi Hardbone,

Not totally ruled out but I'll be running around a bit in towns and doing Euro touring etc and a BB could run quite hot and noisy but the sound is tempting, and the torque too. Mmmmm,

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
Hi Hardbone,

Not totally ruled out but I'll be running around a bit in towns and doing Euro touring etc and a BB could run quite hot and noisy but the sound is tempting, and the torque too. Mmmmm,
If you have never had a BB you will never miss it...a SB will do all you want and turns heads just as much as long as you are alone and not riding with someone who has a BB..less ehat and better gas mileage too!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you have never had a BB you will never miss it...a SB will do all you want and turns heads just as much as long as you are alone and not riding with someone who has a BB..less ehat and better gas mileage too!!
Barry - Having only experienced a BB I can't look back to how a SB would have been, I do notice she gets hotish and is a bit awkward in towns, is a SB that much easier ? When riding with friends with HD etc I do miss the flexibility of gears, but all the same well worth it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Barry - Having only experienced a BB I can't look back to how a SB would have been, I do notice she gets hotish and is a bit awkward in towns, is a SB that much easier ? When riding with friends with HD etc I do miss the flexibility of gears, but all the same well worth it.

Hardbone,,,,,my buddy just changed the thermostate on his big block from the one fitted new from the factory,he recons its running alittle cooler in the UK,,small job maybe worth doing

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts

Interesting about the gears..when I ride a Harley I keep wondering why I have to shift so many gears!!! I love the 2 speed and I think the gearing is great...everyone is so different..

·
Registered
512 Posts
Interesting about the gears..when I ride a Harley I keep wondering why I have to shift so many gears!!! I love the 2 speed and I think the gearing is great...everyone is so different..

Barry sadly my local roads were carved for horse and cart,2 gears are great but on the windy roads i would love a few more to drop down

1 - 20 of 26 Posts