V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

I Really Need Everyones Advice

6K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  buyarbi 
#1 ·
:D Howdy everyone. I am asking for your advice for an upcoming rally that I am gong to ride my BH in. I will be riding my BH in the Iron Butt Rally this year. This is the 11,000 mile in 11 days rally. It is my understanding that a BH has never been ridden in this rally before, and the Iron Butt Association does not think I will finish it as they have relagated me to the Hopeless Class of Riders. Oh they of little faith. It will begin and end in Denver, Colorado. You will be able to get more info on the rally at www.ironbutt.com . I have been riding in Long Distance Rallies for several years. Not to say that I am really good at it, but I have been doing it. I can not really explain why I do it, but I do. I ran the Butt Lite III a couple of years ago on my HD Road Glide and rode her 7,000 miles in 7 days. I think I have adequate experience in LD riding to finish respectfully, if some good luck comes my way. I am getting into the physical shape that I will need to be in. Butt, I need to do some things to my BH and make sure she is ready. I have done everything I can to increase mpg (leaned carb, increased operating temp (go figure?), and replaced the primary drive belt pulley. Maybe I should have gotten that fuel injected model, oh well. The mileage is still a rock solid 23 mpg (with no secondary action). That means I will be burning from 40 to 55 gallons of fuel a day (Please do not tell any Environmental Folks or my wife who thinks the BH gets alot better gas mileage $). I have a Russell Day Long saddle and it is great. It is truly a 1000 mile a day saddle, I will tell you in Sept if it is a 11,000 mile in 11 day saddle. Gold Bond and Anti-Monkey Butt powders will help (if you are not allergic to calamine lotion).

Here is what I need advice on right now.

1.) Is everyone pretty happy with the JABSCO #JA 50830-0012 water pump? My bike has been having some temp fluctations and I think the pump is about to pop after about 11,500 miles. The pump appears to be leaking slightly already. Is this the replacement pump that we thought it would be months ago? Just asking.

2.) What is a good replacement fan? Where can I get it and do I need a special part number?

3.) Is the Summit starter PWM #19502 still the starter of preferance for small blocks based on performance? Are there heat shields available for it?

I have sent e-mails to factory and left phone messages for them, but they are apparently not interested my participaton in this event on a BH as they have not EVEN returned my calls or e-mails. No comment. BH of Houston is helping me prepare for this event as they can, thank you David C. and Mark.

Thank you all for your help. I will keep you posted on my progress and my need for further assistance.

PLEASE DO NOT PASS THIS INFO AROUND JUST YET, as I have been telling all of my fellow Rally riders that I am riding a little black 350.

We will be meeting in Omaha the middle of May and they will see my little black 350 then. :twisted: :D Then they will do a sound level check and that may be my next obstacle. But I will cross that obstacle if and when I have too, as this is a production motorcycle that has not had it's exhaust system modified in any way - That is my story and I am sticking to it. Sorry this is so long.

Regards,
Bill Critter
Seabrook, Texas

See less See more
#2 ·
Bill

Just wanted to wish you luck ... I've done a couple Iron Butt Rides (not on the Boss) but nothing like you ie 7K > 7 Day.

GOOD LUCK to you and if you have any problems while in New England give me shout. BTW does the Iron Butt still run through Reynolds Motor Sports in Gorham, Maine?

Don

#3 ·
Critter,

Being that you are just south of DFW and given the distance you are going to be riding if I were you I would load the BH on a trailer and bring it to Texas Boss Hoss. Curtis has more experience with these bike than anyone else even close to your location. Given the task you are going to undertake you do not want to leave anything to chance. People send bikes from all over the country for Curtis to work on and believe me they don't send them to him because he is hansome!! He knows what he is doing and can find problems that some do not even know to look for.

My .02 hope this helps and good luck!

#4 ·
If your worried about the water pump then I would carry a spare. A spare fuel pump is not a bad idea either and make sure you have a quick coupler in the crossover so if you need to pull your tank you won't loose all your fuel. I would also carry spare part numbers with you in case you have to ask around in some small town. Do you know your alternator belt part number? I keep that in my bags along with a fuel pump and fuses and a spare relay, I have had 3 bad relays.

I think your a wild man and I wish the best of luck to you. I don't think I could do that in my truck. :roll:

#5 ·
iron butt ride

GOOD LUCK have your trans service and new trans filter(any parts store 3/8 in line trans filter) water pump mechanical seal(geo 1800-445-1656)about $45w/ s&h -alt belt- fuses-- relay(HD used the same one)any 12v fuel pump with 3/8 fitting & hose --no thermast a good fuel additiveand a ROAD SIDE HELP MEMBERSHIP.. just kidding mj

#6 ·
Bill...We have our own Iron Butt star here already who can really advise you of the prep stuff. Glenn Boglisch has not only participated but has medalled in at least two rallies I believe.
Curious about the "Day Long" Russell saddle of which you speak. Never heard of it and is there a web site for it?
I'll be damned if I'd leave with a leaking water pump on a grueling 1,000 mile per day journey. I've heard no complaints about the late model Jabsco pump but if it's showing signs of failure I'd swap it out in a heartbeat....Joe

#7 ·
Thanks for all the great advice. I think I will try out the new water pump, maybe carrying a spare is a good idea as well. I have all of your comments and will follow them. I will keep you posted.
Regards,
Bill Critter Crittenden

Zen
The Russell Day Long Saddle web site is http://www.day-long.com/
Not saying it is for everyone, but I really like it. The mustang seat did something to my femur that made it feel like I was trying to break the ball joint off in my hip, after a couple hundred miles. The Russell is taking care of that. I have to slide a little forward to put both feet flat on the ground with the new seat, but I think the comfort is worth it.

I really do appreciate everyones information. Now off to get at least one new water pump.

#8 ·
Iron Butt rally

Critter,
I was reading the laws and guidelines of this 11,000 miles in 11 day event and some suggestions. They said "D. National parks

The Iron Butt has traditionally visited national parks, monuments, and recreation areas around the United States. If you plan on collecting bonuses, we highly recommend that you purchase a Golden Eagle Pass which will allow you unlimited access to the parks. The pass costs $50 and is good for one year from the date of purchase. It is normally available at the entrance to or visitor's center in any national park"

Might be a good idea if you live close to a National Park to purchase one of these ahead of time.

Good luck in your quest, stay focused and save all your gas receipts!

#9 ·
Bill...Did you send them your seat pan to have the seat made or what? Does it fit the Boss and did you get leather, vinyl or the combination? The stock seat suits me fine but my better half is very uncomfortable on my 2000 Corbin seat and would like to have a seat I can throw on when she wants to come along for a ride. I do have an extra seat I could send to them and use for this purpose. Your thoughts?...Joe

#11 ·
:D Howdy everyone. Thank you all for the wonderful ideas. I am planning on implementing as many of them as I can for the Iron Butt Rally.

Millionaire_4 - The Iron Butt Rally is like a big scavenger hunt. It is really not a race but a ride that requires you to manage your time, schedule, gas, and personal physcial capabilities to travel to different named bonus locations, document your stop as requireded (reading comprehension really does count), then go on to other bonuses and meet at locations around the US at certain times and dates. It sounds like we may be going to Alaska this year, so I will be taking a passport and they said to bring tie-downs for you bike so it sounds like we may go on a ferry some where. I am game for Fairbanks and would love to run around the Denali Forest, but I do not think that I will take the haul road to Deadhorse or Prudue Bay on the BH. You are absoulutely correct in your suggestion on the Golden Eagle Pass. I will be carrying a small tent and a Hennesee Hammock, and assure you any Park is better than a highway rest stop (aka The Iron Butt Hotel).

Zen - I sent Russell my Mustang seat and they removed the gel, foam, etc. and refitted it with springs, supports, and the other stuff in a seat (?). I got the vinyl, which is debatable. I ride in the rain more than I really like too and I think that vinyl may take the rain a little better, but I really do not know if that is correct. It is cheaper too :p The do passenger seats, although I did not get mine done yet. I suggest that you call them and talk with them. They were straight with me and gave me very good customer support.

Busa Dave - Thank you for sharing my e-mail with the factory. I have given up on them since they did not return my calls or e-mails.

Everybody, thanks again for the ideas. Please keep them coming if anything comes to mind. Please ping me on or off line.
Regards,
Bill Critter
Seabrook, Texas

#14 ·
Jack, I have not gotten these yet, but I will in the near future. I like you carry the Stop and Go Tubeless Tire Plug Gun Kit. I also carry a little (haha) compressor that I got at Wallyworld. The standard thing the jumps around with a gauge that osscillates so badly you can not tell anything about the air pressure, but it has worked. I will stick with the Stop and Go, but I am going to get the Deluxe CyclePump (N51-CP $90.00) and E-Z Tire Gauge (N51-CPT6 $25.00) from White Horse Press. I think you can get them from other folks, aerostitch maybe, etc. But I think I am going to buy these from White Horse Press. Together they will set you back $115 smackers (plus shipping) but they should help you out with the refilling of the tire and the are supposed to be reliable and samll. They are pretty popular with the Iron Butt crowd and the only issue I have heard about them is the price. Remember the most important thing in emergency repairs, put some of those small bottles of you favorite liquor in the tool bag. I am not affliated with this product or the provider.
Regards,
Critter
Seabrook, Texas

www.WhitehorsePress.com

#15 ·
Critter,
Good luck on your run. You have all-ready gotten some good suggestions re: fuses,falt repair kit, at least 2 spare alt. belts & fuel pump. I would bring enough tools, short piece of gas line, a few clamps, 2 spare ignition wires (grab 2 of your longest from the last set you changed), small roll of 14 guage wire and 3' 10 guage, asst electrical connectors, elect. tape & extra bungies. The bungies are not just for strapping things to your bike, you can use to hold parts on temporary on a run. Change the front tire shortly before you leave. The front tires are only good for approx 9K miles (because of scalloping) but I wouldn't worry about that during the run. I am not sure what you are getting on your back but if so the same would apply. I am running a car tire on my back so I only have to worry about the front. Bring a listing of dealers and parts # so you can get things locally or sent in without much delay. (If you still have your HOG directory that may not be a bad idea to bring) You may want to have at least 2 seperate charge cards. I have never been shut off but I have had the pumps not take the card before and have had to go in the building and at times they have to run it a few times for it to go through. It was a security thing. The computers automatically through up a red flag when they see a charge every 2-2.5 hours for fuel. Calling the charge company and noting the account does not always work. And don't forget the Advil. I am sure you know there are a lot of lousy roads out there.

#16 ·
Glenn, All great advice. About a week or so before I leave for the ride, I go to my bank and tell them what I am doins so that can place a flag on my credit cards. I ususally get a flag that gas, hotels, parts, etc. may be bought in patterns unusal to my habits. I tell them that I am not planning on buying any planes, diamonds, furs, or other high priced items like that. That usually takes care of the cards, but you know I have had to go inside and talk to the credit card lady a tiem to two. I usually just tell her I talked to my bank and they were supposed to flag my account and then she usually says that they did, she was just checking. I really do not mind the hassel because they are trying to take care of both of us. Thanks for your ideas. I will keep everyone posted.
Regards,
Bill Critter
Seabrook, Texas

#17 ·
Bill, I avidly follow each year's IBR and look forward to hearing about your adventure... every year I say to myself I would LOVE to do that sometime... I have done distance riding in the past and with my new ( to me) BH I would be most interested to see how things go for you....

Glenn gave you some sound advice....all the stuff he suggested is small and wont take much room in yer bags... also, as you know from distance riding...STAY HYDRATED!... also dont forget your first aid kit... Lastly, dont forget a bundle of zipties...these things are used for EVERYTHING.. I used a couple to keep my windshield on when the mount broke in the middle of nowhere...

Best wishes in your ride! and keep us tuned in! I will follow the daily updates...

MosaV8!

#18 ·
I agree, some of the most important things are water, zip ties, duct tape, and those little bottles of your favorite liquid in your tool bag. Preparation is a big key. I will be headed out for a ride to Omaha in a couple of weeks and I will tell you all how these mods are working.
Regards,
Bill Critter
Seabrook, Texas

#21 ·
Geezer said:
I just met Kevin this past weekend at Milwaukee BH for their demo rides
with the factory truck. Sounds like Kevin is riding with the truck.

I know the demo's were going from there to Chicago and then to
Flordia. Hopefully he has a lap-top with him.

Geez

He does (we had dinner and talked about it) and he works from the road. Don't understand why he did not follow thru after he committed to me several times. Seemed like a nice young kid right out of college who was having a good time what he was doing. I even gave him my login and password so he could make a quick reply!

#24 ·
Howdy Folks, I really do appreciate everyones great advice. I am working out the mods and bugs now.

Busa Dave, Thanks for your great friendly efforts. I do not understand what the Corp or Kevin is doing, but to be truthful I do not have time to worry about it or figure it out. I will do my thing, and they can do theirs. If I should ever get asked anything about the Dyersburg Company, I will respond that I really can not comment on something that I do not know anything about. The company focus appears to be following the market plan of the great HD company and focusing on its customers, the BH dealer not the BH consumer. I hope it works for them and truly wish them well. I just can not understand why a professional of anything would disrespect anyone, especially a devoted consumer of their unique product, by not returing an e-mail or a phone call. Thanks anyway.

Buyarbi, What did you say? I could not hear you. No, your idea is a great deal. I use the foam ones. They kinda help keep my ears a little cleaner. I think I will stop hear and not go into more details. Some things are better left unsaid. I will do. I actually carry some dust nuisance masks and of course some cowboy hankerchiefs. I have run into some really wierd black dust out toward El Paso. I went into a restuarant after driving through there, and the area below my nose looked like I have been in and exhaling charcoal. Great idea.

Crazymf, I will share this incentative with my beautiful babe of 28 years or so. I hope she will take your advice. I will have her give you an e-mail if she disagrees or needs new suggestions. I actually am very lucky to have a babe like her to give me a kitchen pass for 2 and 1/2 weeks to go see how much gas I can burn up. Good idea :twisted: .

HOGV8, Jack I did get in the tire gage and air pump I mentioned to you. Both are a little bigger than I imagined. I will use it and get back to you.

Well I have a plan, and I love it with plans come together. I do not know how the bike will do on the big trip, nor do I know how I will do, but we will do what we can, and I will share that with you all. I have been doing a lot of walking and stretching, and I did about 1000 miles this weekend. Things are coming together. I will be going to Omaha in a couple of weeks for the next check out run.

Regards,
Critter

You are never too old to have a happy childhood. (I hope that I did not steal that from someone, but it is how I feel right now with my tired legs and sunburned face - uh sunscreen and lip balm)

#26 ·
Howdy Everyone,
Well, I got back from Omaha on Monday. I ran up there to attend the Iron Butt Associations Event on Long Distance Riding. I was planning on leaving last Wed, but did not get off until Thursday afternoon. My starter started acting up on Tuesday so I got the powermaster installed, real nice. Thanks to BH of Houston, Dave C. and Mark for taking care of me again. The ride was amazing. Going up I had 40 to 50 mph tail and sie winds, rain, hail, and passed by a couple of tornado areas. The bike did wonderful. She handled great in the wind and did not miss a beat in the rain. Got there late Friday night and checked into the hotel in time for a couple of toddies and a lot of late night talk. Saturday attended the seminars and learned a lot. Also had the sound level test. They had me warm the bike up and run her at @2800 rpm. She was putting out 118 dba and the limit is 105 dba. I am going to try to use some baffles and if that does not work come up with some muffler arrangement. I did get to talk to Rad Hunsley today and he was very helpful in the muffler issue. The only DOT approved exhaust system is the long pipes with mufflers, I really did not want to hear that, but it makes sense. Came back on Sunday and Monday just riding around. Had a smooth rain free ride home. I got 31 mpg on the way up when I had the massive tail wind. Normally I got 25 to 27 mpg at 70 and 23 to 25 at 80. I have been making the mods suggested and have found all of them improvements. Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Bill "Critter" Crittenden

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.