V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just searched all my posts and realized that I didn't post the results of my solution to my overheating problem so here it is. I know a lot of u guys are lucky enough to have never had overheating issues and I'm happy for you. however, I had the plague w/ both my '95 and '00 sb's. I added a puke can, changed thermostats, tried water wetter, changed fans, changed fan temp switches, changed temp senders and to no avail. a couple years back I did a LOT of hunting and gathering to accumulate enuf fittings, tubing, hose, etc, to enlarge the plumbing both from the radiator to the pump and from the pump to the block. long story short, everything was replaced w/ larger stuff except the 2 angle-nipples that bolt to the block. this mod has apparently solved the issue so I hope this helps someone. Lincoln.

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
I just searched all my posts and realized that I didn't post the results of my solution to my overheating problem so here it is. I know a lot of u guys are lucky enough to have never had overheating issues and I'm happy for you. however, I had the plague w/ both my '95 and '00 sb's. I added a puke can, changed thermostats, tried water wetter, changed fans, changed fan temp switches, changed temp senders and to no avail. a couple years back I did a LOT of hunting and gathering to accumulate enuf fittings, tubing, hose, etc, to enlarge the plumbing both from the radiator to the pump and from the pump to the block. long story short, everything was replaced w/ larger stuff except the 2 angle-nipples that bolt to the block. this mod has apparently solved the issue so I hope this helps someone. Lincoln.
You have solved the issue but not found the root of the problem I believe.

I have had stock SB bikes in Sturgis at 100F and never had an issue overheating...the fan cut in at 180 and the water temp honesetly never climbed above that even idling for an hour.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have to agree with Barry,, You may have stopped it from overheating for now..But , If that was your initial problem EVERYONE would have the same problem...Have you checked the radiator for blockage ? sometimes if enough junk accumulates, the radiator does not cool efficiently...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know FOR SURE if I had/have good radiator flow. I have not checked for blockage. do radiator shops 'flow test' radiators? I would think that if I remove the lower hose while the cap is removed and the fluid dumps out rapidly then it's ok. for good measure I could do a flush job. short of replacing the radiator I suppose 'rodding out' would be something of an issue since they're all welded. I just remember seeing a lot of posts several years ago about overheating. Lincoln.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Efficient / effective cooling isn't just about flow rate. Calcium and / or other mineral deposits can form a very thin layer on the internal surfaces of your radiator. Naturally, that affects heat transfer. Your right about "rodding out" a radiator- thats old school as most are aluminum and replacement is the only way. Have you tried a good heathy flushing? Best luck dude. An overheating motor on a V-8 would not be fun. Keep posting!
Harris

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Efficient / effective cooling isn't just about flow rate. Calcium and / or other mineral deposits can form a very thin layer on the internal surfaces of your radiator. Naturally, that affects heat transfer. Your right about "rodding out" a radiator- thats old school as most are aluminum and replacement is the only way. Have you tried a good heathy flushing? Best luck dude. An overheating motor on a V-8 would not be fun. Keep posting!
Harris
here i am 6 and a half years later and still have overheating. btw the fan is working. have not yet flushed the radiator as i think the most effective way would be upside down and have managed to get by thus far but its annoying. am wondering if alumabrite, zep-a-lume, etc., acid flushing would shorten its life. any metalurgy gerus watching. lincoln

1 - 6 of 6 Posts