V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it was real cold around here I would have a hard time starting the Boss. I figured it was just because I didn't have a choke. I never had a problem with it before but now even when it is warm I have to use starting fluid to get it to pop. Once it has been running it starts fine. Got any idea why all of the sudden I'm having starting problems?

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I haven't but the throttle is crisp after it starts, no real stumble that I can tell. I'm going to pull the tank and check everything out and put a choke on it while I'm there.

TJzz4 said:
Have you checked your accelerator pump?? Maybe it`s not getting the squirt it needs. Does it stumble when you snap the throttle?

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: HArd Starting

Vman am I both changed our filters down there, they were both clogged to the max, Vman's bike died on him because of it. We got rid of the in carb filter and went with the glass filter.

HAWK88 said:
LaMont;

Might check all evidence areas for KRUD in the fuel. Not uncommon here in Fl. when the "traffic" @ various stations changes a lot, and the station tank is low.

Ride Safe!

HAWK88
Jack Phillips

· Registered
40 Posts
It appears to be a fuel problem if it starts on starting fluid, so I would check the accelerator pump first and then the jets to see if they are restricted. A very small particle could restrict them, and they are very easy to take out and clean and reinstall. Just my 2 cents worth.

· Registered
3,429 Posts
Lamont...A clogged fuel delivery system or bad fuel pump makes no sense because the condition would get worse after startup when fuel demands are greater.
It sounds to me like you have a lean condition at startup. The first two items that come to mind are the carb base gasket or the intake manifold gaskets leaking. I would spray WD-40 around the carb base gasket before my next start. If no change would do the same around the entire intake manifold gasket and try again. If either works, you have the answer. It's possible that the reason it's ok when hot is metal expansion to plug a small gasket leak in one of these two places.
I would also check the integrity of the vacuum line for leaks and I would certainly put in a choke regardless. Mine is electric and I thank God every time I need a cold weather start...Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.