V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we got back Monday evening from a 4 day stay in Savannah on the Boss. There were 3 couples, and we undoubtedly called in for all the rain. It rained on the way down, for about 150 miles, then cleared about the time we got to the motel on Tybee Island. The next morning dawned beautiful! We rode to Savannah, and got on the trolley for the tourist scenes (the ladies request). Well, about the time we began eating, it started raining...again. Well, after the tour was over, we started riding the 18 or so miles back to Tybee Island in a drizzle. Then we run into what had to be the remnants of Noah's flood. I'm talking biblical proportions here. I am 43, and have ridden bikes since I was 5, on a Honda Mini-Trail 50. I have never...NEVER ridden in rain so hard in my life. Of course this was on a 2-lane road, no shoulder, and we thought we would get back before it started again, so hence...no rainsuits on. One of the guys actually had his wife crying in laughter when we got to the motel, she said she never heard so much coughing in her life on the way back...he said ..honestly...he thought he was going to drown... :lol: On the news that evening (Sunday), it was showing cars being pushed out of the highways in and near the Savannah area, due to the sudden downpours. Ya reckon??? :lol: There we were, riding through it, no rainsuits, no vision, only determination and God were on our side...had to be.
Then, it turned beautiful that evening...we awoke to a gorgeous morning Monday to begin our ride home. The sun was bright, we packed and loaded up...lo and behold, my battery was dead, due to riding the Boss in the rain, with the alternator under water from time to time I guess. After a boost, the alternator began pumping out 14 volts, as always!!! (Thanks Powermaster!!!) The ride home was perfect, until 90 miles from home. The great flood revisited us again, with terrible lightning and wind thrown in for free. After riding for about 60 miles in the driving storm, my power began leaving again, as I was only pushing out 10 volts :shock: After pulling over, and keeping her running, she started 14 volts again (thanks again Powermaster alternaotrs).
The moral of this loong story, is a question...do the lower radiator shrouds (stainless or chrome that attach to the bottom of the radiator) actually help the alternators from getting waterlogged? I am thinking of getting one now...
Well, I hope your next trip, as well as ours, is a dry one. I just had to pass this story on..as through it all...we had a BALL!!! :D

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I don't think the spoilers do much to protect the alternator but more than likely your belt was slipping and that was causing your voltage drop . It takes a tighter belt than some people realize to turn the alternator . I think a small amount of belt dressing is a good idea to keep the belt from slipping when it gets wet . As far as alternator rain protection , Joe Rameri had a stainless cover made for his that completly incloses the whole alternator . Says it works great .

Jack

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I had a couple of instances last week when I washed my bike and when I splashed through a puddle coming off the highway where my alt quit too. Both times it came back after drying out and my belt was not slipping. I think the diodes must get wet and crap out or something. Not too worried knowing it just needs to dry out. I have a lower dam on too. The thing might be unreliable in heavy rain like that though.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Wet Electrics

All;

2 seperate times when I've gotten my Boss wet, the battery apparently discharged a great amount after I parked it for a couple of days in the garage. Could that be a wet alternator shorting a bit?

One of them was a "Frog Drowner" where the turn signals started blinking to their own tune, and the other was just about 2 hours of steady light rain. Both times (as well as I could watch it) she was making 14 V @ the appropriate RPMs.

Would it be advisable to install one of those Marine Battery Cutoff switches on Wag's site and disconnect the batt after water exposure, or might I have another problem I'm not aware of?

I did install a 925 Odyessey.

Thanks
Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Sounds like an eventful trip Bro. I was in rain like that in MB not too long ago. When I got to my place I poored water out of my boots. :shock:

Hey give me a call if your not doing anything Friday. Take care.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lamont...Friday would actually be a good day for me to explore a bit! I am on vacation, and I hope to have most of the catch up things done here around the house by then...the wife has to work, but I should be able to make a ride! What do you have in mind? :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Mike,
One of those rains you find a taillights and follow because there is no road in sight. If they go over a cliff you end up following. Heavy rain sucks.
Glenn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts