V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you guys have pulled off your stock carb and put on Demons. If you want to get rid of your stock carb that is in good shape I would be willing to buy it from you. I think my carb may of got hot and warped the secondary plates. I notice when it's cold I can whack the throttle and the secondaries kick in just fine but when the bike gets hot they don't seem to work. I know I can probably make this one work but I would like to have a spare so I don't have to take the bike down to work on my old carb.

If you have one drop me a line. Thanks 8)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Lamont - I got the same problem as you. Just yesterday when leaving my local gas station I usually jump on it for the guys but all I had was the two primaries when I went WOT. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I have tried everything to correct the problem.

I really believe the only sure thing is mechanical secondaries.

FastEddie

·
Registered
526 Posts
Guys--I have the one that Shafiroff Racing just got thru with that is being replaced by a Demon 950. The Carb has been blueprinted by his people and has less than 500 miles on it. Let me know if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Busa Dave said:
Guys--I have the one that Shafiroff Racing just got thru with that is being replaced by a Demon 950. The Carb has been blueprinted by his people and has less than 500 miles on it. Let me know if anyone is interested.
How much and why are you getting rid of it?

·
Registered
898 Posts
carb

I would buy a takeoff also, course Lamont is first in line. I would like to have one to experiment with.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well to put it bluntly the Edlebrock is not a good performance carburetor compared to the mechanical types. This one was blueprinted by some of the best (Scott Shafiroff Racing) and in my application does not give me the control that I need. The Demon will give me more HP and it will be controlled mechanically not by vacuum. I can attest as can Curtis Pyatt who owns Texas Boss Hoss that it is about as good as you can make an Edlebrock.

The price of this carburetor is 500.00--I paid almost 300.00 to have it blueprinted and it only has 2800 miles total and 430 since it was blueprinted.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Busa Dave said:
Well to put it bluntly the Edlebrock is not a good performance carburetor compared to the mechanical types. This one was blueprinted by some of the best (Scott Shafiroff Racing) and in my application does not give me the control that I need. The Demon will give me more HP and it will be controlled mechanically not by vacuum. I can attest as can Curtis Pyatt who owns Texas Boss Hoss that it is about as good as you can make an Edlebrock.

The price of this carburetor is 500.00--I paid almost 300.00 to have it blueprinted and it only has 2800 miles total and 430 since it was blueprinted.
I'll pass on this one but thanks anyway. I'm going to have Carb Mike work on the spare I get so I need to find one that has not been gone through for a better price than a new one.

What kind of mileage are you getting with the Demon and is it doing everything you wanted it to do?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just got it on yesterday and it is a night and day difference. In short, if you want performance do not waste your time with the Edlebrock. Mine was worked over by some of the best in the industry and it helped but still power delivery was not smooth, as I needed. Mechanical control is a far better way to go but it depends what your requirements are as the Edlebrock is a far cheaper way but sacrifices quite a bit of performance.

The reason the performance carburetors are not used is heat and the associated problems with external bowls. Mine has had the tank lifted among other things to solve this problem. You know after further thought this carb is nothing but a trotline weight to me and it will only sit in my garage for a few years until I will at some point throw it out. If anyone wants it, 200.00 will get it—remember it is the 850 that came off a 502.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the price I'm looking for but I think that carb is a little too big for my little small block :( Thanks anyway 8)

·
Registered
526 Posts
LaMonsterV8 said:
That's the price I'm looking for but I think that carb is a little too big for my little small block :( Thanks anyway 8)
Thats cool--Got to ride it hard today or rather Curtis did at TBH and we have a problem that is going to cost about 2k to fix!! The Demon works so good that the belt will not hold and slips %#$%$!! Ordered a 3in kit from Marv at Chopper City and that will be the end of that little problem! The bike is brutal on the hookup now per Curtis said there is absolutely “no comparison” it should not be a problem using a Demon or Holley on a stock motor except for the heat issues. I guess I should have kept the Edlebrock after all—NAAAAH! :D

Oh the EXCESS!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Lamont
Are you sure the secondaries aren't getting hung up on the intake manifold? Happened to me and had to dremel the intake out a tad to allow thw flaps not to hang up.
Joe

·
Registered
526 Posts
zenbiker said:
Lamont
Are you sure the secondaries aren't getting hung up on the intake manifold? Happened to me and had to dremel the intake out a tad to allow thw flaps not to hang up.
Joe
Oh yea--you could feel the secondaries on the Edlebrock kick in. Scott Shafiroff as well as a friend of mine who races all over the country both advised to dump the Edlebrock. The Edlebrock is just not made for high performance period. The Demon will most likely get worse mileage but that is not a concern for me performance is. Talked to Marv today and we are going to set the new 3in belt at 550ftlbs and see how that works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts