V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drilled the hole on my bike today but we couldn't get it to work right. :roll: What you want to do is get the cable closer to the pivot point (more toward the center). We found out today that if you just take a pair of pliers and bend the linkage it will do the same thing, you don't even have to drill a new hole. :D I now can reach full throttle without having to wrap my hands around the top of the grip. This works great. 8)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Lamont , I think I see and understand what you did but do you now have a positive cable stop inside your throttle grip housing or are you just pulling the throttle linkage to it's max without hitting the throttle cable stop in the grip housing ? The reason I'm asking is a couple of years ago I was playing with my throttle cable stop and I ground too much away from the stop inside the grip housing . The first time I hit WOT , I snapped the throttle cable off because I was pulling against the throttle linkage stop and not the cable stop and just over streched the cable .

Jack

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not hitting the throttle stop but you can tell pretty easy when your at the end of the linkage. It feels the same as before, just not as much throw. I really don't think I was hitting a throttle stop before anyway. :roll:

I do plan on carring a spare throttle cable, just the inside cable,, not the housing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sweet!

Next time I've got the tank off I'm all over it!
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
After I ground away the throttle stop in the grip housiing on my stock throttle with a dremmal tool and took the bike out for a test ride I'll have to admit that when I cranked the throttle to WOT that I was pretty forcefull but with no stop I kinda knew either the cable would break or it would pull out of the connection on the carb. linkage and it did break . After that I fabricated a stop because it would happen again without one .

I also carry 2 spare inner cables all cut to length with the strands soldered together on the end so they slide into the carb. linkage connector without fraying . This way I can repair a broken cable in a few minutes without even lifting the tank . It's easier if you carry a long allen wrench with a screw driver type handle on it so you can reach the small allen screw that holds the cable in the carb. connector .

Jack

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Milo,

I just got back from a weekend ride . I'll check it out and get back to you .

Jack

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Milos,
I checked the length of the inner cables I have made up and they are 52" long . The allen screw on the carb. linkage that holds the cable in is 3/32" . I have the stands soldered together and smoothed back about 4" so if I have to cut the end of the cable off the strands won't fray . Now this is the approx . length that works for my set up but this depends on you cable housing length . Best thing to do if your going to make up a spare inner cable is to measure your own and make it a little longer so you can solder the strands and cut it off to the exact length when you install it .

Jack

·
Registered
40 Posts
duel cables?

my kannon has a harley style throttle set up with two cables, I guess so if one breaks you can still get home? what do you guys think of using this set up?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: duel cables?

tanner-dog said:
my kannon has a harley style throttle set up with two cables, I guess so if one breaks you can still get home? what do you guys think of using this set up?
That's a push/pull setup, that won't help if the pull breaks other than you can roll the throttle so that it's not wide open. That's how it is setup on the Valkyries anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts