V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two month ago after I washed my bike, I took it out for a small ride thru our small town of Bückeburg. I realized that my left turn signal was flashing, and thought I forgot to shut it off. I pushed the turn signal button, and it was off -> for only 5 seconds!
Then it flashed again...and again...and again..... :evil:
I had to ride 4 hours around the same block! Hehehehe.....no, no...

I had to ride home, take the turn signal switch apart, and dry it with a hair dryer. After I did that everything was fine again. It was my mistake, cause I took a lot of water to wash all the bugs and flys from the handlebar lever and switches (should have to know it better).

A couple of days ago V8Andy called me and he said he's been on a bike meeting with his 2000 502 in Rüdesheim. On his way back to Cologne he was catched by a hard rain on the Autobahn when his left turn signal came on, and he wasn't able to shut it off - like happend to me two month ago. This self activating turn signal can lead you in a very dangerous situation.

My question is - is that "poor quality" problem of the handle bar switches fixed at the new bikes? I would like to have something better water sealed, and would buy new switches if availble.

Loaf

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ghost Turn Signals

Loaf,

These are standard handle bar switches used on many, many bikes.

Do you have Radio Shacks in Germany? They have a product in a small aerosal can called "contact cleaner". It comes with a spray tube (like WD-40). Isert the small tube into your switch and give a short squirt. It is a lubricant, cleaner and leaves a water dispersing film on the parts. You should also use it on all of your fuse contacts. It keeps the contacts clean and provides a good connection as well as preventing corrosion.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Neil,
yes, I do use such a product. It's a Battery contact spray from Liquy Moly (sp?). I use to spray it inside the handlebar switches from time to time. I do also use a battery contact dielectric grease (from Liquy Moly, too) for all the other good reachable contacts, connections and the fuses. Therefore
I can't understand how this can happen :(

Do you know a good source for high quality "direct replacement" handlebar controls for our Boss Hoss bikes?

Thanks,
Loaf

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Loaf
I carry a small can of silicone spray with me on long trips. Whenever I hit rain I blast the inards with the spray and no problem. Also, when washing the bike, put either Saran Wrap over the modules or a baggie and the inards won't get wet. One time after a heavy rain my starter kept engaging with the motor running...not a nice sound. A blast of silicone spray into the keyhole straightened that problem out as well. I know of no waterproof switches
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts