V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an exhaust system off of ebay. It's the type that goes all the way to the back of the bike (beside the swing arm ) . I was wondering if any one had a part # for the exhaust donut and a picture of how the back support is connected to the frame. Thanks for any info.
Chad

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Long Pipes

Chad;

I have a set of long pipes for my Boss, and the aft mount (97) is exactly the same as the short pipes (if you HAPPEN to have the headers on the correct side!).

My pipes do not require any gasket @ the collector, they are just "metal to metal". The forward pipe flange is the female fitting, and the header flange is the male. Fairly good gas seal, if you carefully position them as you tighten the fastners.

Lamont has a stub of pipe INSIDE the header / pipe connection to further insure a better gas seal. He would have to elaborate to better explain.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
329 Posts
Chad,
the pipes are sturdy enough that there is no back support needed. If you want to use a muffler, you have to cut the pipes to length. For a regular muffler still no support needed. Only the "Japanese Muffler" is so large that it comes with a back support that hooks up to the back turnsignals.
Peter

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The back support I'm talking about is right under the trans. The 1993 boss bikes did not have a support braket here on the original pipes. I've seen the tabs in all the newer bike exhausts . I just can't picture in my mind how it stay's in place . My frame doesn't have any metal or a place to bolt the rear hanger (tab) up when I have test fitted the part. My stock pipes just bolted to the headers and hung there. I am able to put a bolt over the trans support but that only keeps it for dropping and no support from jumping up when you hit a bump. :? I'm just trying to bolt it up with out it rattling .
Chad

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry, I was not aware of the fact, that the short pipes would hold without the support underneath the tranny. Of course my long pipes are bolted to the headers and to the frame underneath the tranny.
Peter

·
Registered
624 Posts
Chad,
the bracket on my 98 uses one of the tranny bolts. The brackets are known for breaking and I have been meening to reweld (for the second time) my bracket back on to the exhaust pipe. No rush. It has been like that for several years and over 50 K miles. Also the gasket they use is a flat style. They work a little bit.
Glenn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts