V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! All this carb talk. Am I the only one around here with fuel injection? I love it. No diddling around. I don't know about any advantage to having secondaries because mine hangs in there pretty good with Bryans 385 with my two injectors. Maybe carbs can give more power, I doubt it, but the fuelly is always in tune, no matter what the weather. And a consistent 30+ mpg. It was worth the money.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You are not the only one here!!! :D I have a 385 fuel injection model, and I LOVE it! I have read where many had problems tuning the 385HP fuelies, butu mine seems to run like a sewing machine. (I hope I have not jinxed myself here). I have had her for one year last month, and been on several extended trips, almost 16,000 miles on her, and no problems so far. She runs like a champ...and Man,.....I LOVE that cam lope!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
30 miles per gal . , I'm impressed . I didn't realize the fuel injection was that economical .

Jack

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok Jack, I have to be truthful, which technically I am. Imperial gallons are 4.55 litres. USA gallons are about 3.79. So When I say that, it is in canuck gallons, not us gallons. So 30 x 4.55/3.78 = 25 to the us gallon.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EastnMike said:
You are not the only one here!!! :D I have a 385 fuel injection model, and I LOVE it! I have read where many had problems tuning the 385HP fuelies, butu mine seems to run like a sewing machine. (I hope I have not jinxed myself here). I have had her for one year last month, and been on several extended trips, almost 16,000 miles on her, and no problems so far. She runs like a champ...and Man,.....I LOVE that cam lope!!! :twisted:
I've got the Howell system on mine. Which one have you got and did you have to re-map?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Jack,

I checked mine last weekend, about 450 miles, riding"nice", got 27.38.

Now I would guess the Thursday night prior, with Wag and a couple of our HD buds, more like 10 or 12 :lol: 8) :oops: :wink:

And mine is really 'fat' on the idle/low speed circuit.

Tim

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also know that when I get bad fuel my mileage cuts by up to a third. I really suspect some stations dump 87 octane in the premium tank too.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Tim , 27 mpg is great . All round riding and getting into it a few times I usually average about 25mpg . Boy it sure is nice being able to fill my tank right up to the bung now that I have My Neil Weber design vent . Before I was only able to put about 7 gallons total in my tank before gas would run out the vent hose on to the ground and it was hard to judge just when this was going to happen when gasing up . Something about a puddle of gas under a hot set of exhaust pipes that scares the sh-- out of me .

Jack

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Yup, 24 to 25 average is about normal. I hadn't checked mine in awhile. Vicki was riding her Duece so I was behaving all day :lol: It surprised me a bit......

Even if it only got 10mpg I'd still be a happy camper....it's just a fun bike to ride :lol:

Tim

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have no idea which is on mine...I have never touched it, and it works fine. On my extended trips, I have averaged 25-26 MPG, usually at an average speed of about 82-85MPH on the interstates. For a 385, I am happy with that.. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 385 with a #7 converter and a 32 tooth front pulley, I average 30-32 miles a gallon with a bike.. :D We only get about 20-22 with my wifes trike. :(

·
Registered
141 Posts
:twisted: Rob, You and I have the exact same set up. I average about a thousand miles a tire...i.e. the avon 300. :wink: Steve

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
These mileage figures blow my mind. I get 20-22 mpg with my 383 stroker at 80-90 mph and maybe one or two more when the bike had the stock 350 motor. I do love the Q-jet kick in the ass secondaries and to convert to *.I. for 2 or 3 mpg..I don't think so.
Rob says he's getting 30-32 mpg...Imperial or US gallons? If US this has to be a record or Rob never opens it up and runs a constant 65 mph all downhill!...Joe
PS. Rob..where is Northfield, NJ? I live in Denville...Morris County.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Joe,
I don't think you realize the point. I do not get a secondary kick, but can keep up to Bryan Wards 385 with my 355 FI. I'm not bragging, he was surprised as was I, but it's true.

plus....

When I ride the mountains, it compensates for altitude changes. No dicking with float bowls etc. Don't have to shut the gas off because it can't flood out. No choke, just turn the key. Perfect mixture, all the time. Same power plus probably more most of the time. Probably can get different mapping for different engines.

That's the difference. No mechanic under 35 years old remembers how to work on carbs anymore.

food for thought on your next bike
stu

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Fuel injection is nice, but I still like the sound when my 650 Holley kicks in it's secondaries. I'm old school and will never go on a "no carb" diet. :wink:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Either fuel injection or carburetion..they are a blast to ride!! And 20-25 MPG...that's not bad..considering my Dodge Viper gets about 10-12 MPG...(on a good day, if I don't play)... :D So...actually the Boss gets MUCH better mileage than my other toy :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts