V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys has anybody been having trouble with front tires? I bought the bike last year with 5400 mi. The front tire was all scalloped so I replaced it at a local shop. I put about a thousand mi. on last year mostly back roads. This year I take the bike out on the highway for a spell and the front end shakes up and down like a bad shock on a car between 60-80 all is clear above or below. I was thinking wheel weight so I take it back to local shop who said my front end and newer tire :( :( are junk. I had them rebalance the tire and have not been out on it yet. 50 miles/ hour winds and rain. last three days welcome to new england. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I had EXACTLY the same problem with a tire on the '97 I used to own. I switched tires, had a rebalance job done, and still the same vibration. I removed the tire...took it to another bike shop, and lo and behold...after they balanced it, it was perfect! I have no idea if you may have the same situation, but during this time I searched for answers. I rebuilt my front forks, new fork oil, new steering head bearings (top and bottom), and still had the same thing. After I took the tire to a shop that actually knew how to balance a tire...I wanted to go to the other shop and tell them that they cannot properly balance a tire. But I didn't...But when asked where to take a tire for balancing, I definately relay my story. This may not be your problem, but I would definately try another shop. By the way..that tire was an Avon Venom. Since them I went with Metzeler 880 Marathon ..and am VERY happy! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I was hoping it wasn't just me. The shop told me to rebuild the front end springs, seals, oil the whole bit. The guy also recomended a compound change to a touring tire etc. One thing I did see is they did not put as many weights on as before. I just finished putting the tire back on now it's 9:30 PM. on a Mon. so I'll try taking it for a spin on tue. if the weather holds. I also took some air out 5-7 lbs. I'll play till I get it right. 8)

·
Registered
750 Posts
I hope it is taken care of...I have tried different PSI's throughout the years on Bosses, and I have found 49PSI to be the optimum pressure for ride and longevity for me. I hope this helps! (I am not sure if it helps, but I always have the shop air the tire up to 49PSI before balancing). I did the whole front end rebuild also, looking for the solution...I just hate for you to do all that when you really don't need to (if balance is the problem). :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had the same problem on my bike (when it came from the factory !). A new Avon and VERY careful balancing at a good tire shop made it perfect :) I would not fool around with the forks etc. unless you are 100% sure that the tire is round and well balanced.
Peter

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
The tire must not only be balanced but ROUND. I've had two out of round Avon fronts. Watch the balancing yourself and hold a straight edge to the tire while spinning. No amount of balancing will correct the out of round condition...Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the tire is out of round I'm hoping to run it out. It will probably just get worse. I took it out seems better. got to go see yiz.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Yeah....I've tried the "running it out" routine but it never works. I'm afraid a tire change is in your future. Stamford Boss gave me a new tire free when it happenend to me and sent the tire back to Avon....Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts