V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Flying Brick is down again!! The retaining ring on the drive shaft pulley broke and the 1 week old 3in Gates GT 2 14mm belt was shredded (outside inch or so) as it tried to work its way off and throw me on the pavement! The only thing that kept it on was the shock and the axle adjustment bolt cover on the end of the swing arm. The welds broke off just as pretty as you please—another 500.00 for a new belt sucks esp. when I did not even get to tear this one up first.

We may not have had it adjusted correctly because the new BFG G Force Drag Radial was just installed and with only a 32nd between the belt edge and the tire it was adjusted to run on the outside so it was most likely putting a lot of stress on that part! Hate it when that happens!

Going to have .25 inch of the new belt removed so belt can be centered and hopefully avoid this again! :evil: I love it when it is running!!!! :D :D This is the price you pay when you modify these bikes but life is short and I don't want to be sitting in the old folks home wishing I had done something so now I gotta pay!!! :p

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Dang Dave,
You need to keep it going long enough to get us some video of those awsome burnouts.
Sorry to hear about another problem, but you are finding all the weak links for the rest of us. :D :D

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the good news is the FB is back on the road and the bad news is the BFG Drag Radial hooks up too good and the long burnouts with the huge clouds of white smoke are over. The tire still will smoke but the soft drag compound just rolls off the tire---may get 1000 miles if I am lucky.

Hope I don't twist another output shaft!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Dave:

I have the BFG drag radials on my trike also. I can spin them at will,
but with little if any smoke. Then I look at the tread and see little sharts
of rubber coming off .

Gonna have to get me some rock hard car tires, so I can put on a smoke
show :lol:

I also worry about hooking up too well, and spitting the ring gear out the
back. 7.5 Ford rear ends are not made for applications of high Hp, but
hoping the light weight of the trike vs car application will somewhat make