V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN TOLD (AND GOT) A NEW "180" SWITCH FOR MY FAN. WAS TOLD THERE ARE NO MORE "195" SWITCHES. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU GUYS, BUT HERE IN GEORGIA, MY TRIKE GOES TO 180 REAL QUICK AND WILL NOT GO DOWN ENOUGH IN TEMPERATURE FOR THE FAN TO CUT OFF AND GIVE ME SOME RELIEF. IT IS LIKE RUNNING THE TRIKE WITH THE FAN ON CONSTANTLY, WHICH IS TOO MUCH. ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM THE TECHNICALLY HIP CROWD AS MY ASS (AND OTHER PARTS) ARE BURNING UP. N'YAH WEH (THANKS).

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
NAPA fan switch

I just bought a NAPA FS-120. The specs on it say that it'll turn the fan on anywhere from 193 degrees to 207 degrees, and it'll shut the fan off at 175 degrees. My 180 thermostat is letting my fan run too much. I'm already on my 2nd fan! I hope the Napa FS-120 makes this fan last a whole lot longer! The next step would be to install an ON/OFF toggle switch to shut the fan off while on the highway. Just have to remember to turn it back on when you get off the highway.
Bill

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've been running the FS-120 switch for 3 years. Kicks on around 210, shuts off around 180. Even in hot temps, the fan never kicks on at highway speeds. Before changing the switch the fan would run all day regardless of speed or outside temps.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
IF you're running a big block, then installing an on/off toggle switch is the way to go... period. In the summer my 502 won't cool down enough to give me a rest from the fan, so I flip the switch and the fan is off. You really have to be on your game with this since the temps will rise QUICKLY if you forget at any stop! In the winter, in Virginia, my fan often runs when it just isn't needed. The heat is sometimes welcome, but I don't care for the fan noise, so, again, I kill the fan.

I've had it on my 502 for three years now and I use it year round to take the edge off and it makes a big difference.

Bill

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Bill Taylor said:
IF you're running a big block, then installing an on/off toggle switch is the way to go... period. In the summer my 502 won't cool down enough to give me a rest from the fan, so I flip the switch and the fan is off. You really have to be on your game with this since the temps will rise QUICKLY if you forget at any stop! In the winter, in Virginia, my fan often runs when it just isn't needed. The heat is sometimes welcome, but I don't care for the fan noise, so, again, I kill the fan.

I've had it on my 502 for three years now and I use it year round to take the edge off and it makes a big difference.

Bill
Bill, I have mine set up the same, and as you said you have to be on your game. I like it a lot better this way and I rarely have to switch it on. The fan should last forever at this rate.

I would think the radiant heat from the engine should kind of tell you to look at the temperature gage and that should tell you to switch the fan on :idea:

Bryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.