V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the mods done here are musts imo that should have been done at the factory for this kind of money.

1. Radiator overflow can- every car has one.
2. Thermostat- same
3. Greasable swingarm joints
4. Cruise control as an option
5. A transmission that will play as hard as we do

Any more??

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
You have only touched the tip of the iceburg . I can name dozens of changes that I and many others have made on our bikes and the list just goes on and on as we improve on what came from the factory . The factory must read these fourms because they have used a lot of our improvements on the newer bikes .

Jack

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I know for a fact that the factory does read this forum. Jack is right,
many of the improvments we make as customers are strongly look
at by the factory for future production. Some are used and some are
not, for whatever reasons.

But I would like to submit my .02 on why we don't always recieve personal responses from the man that has to make the ulitmate
decisions.

I think we have to understand the amount of pressure "Rad" is under,
hence the reason he cannot reply to our e-mails and questions all the
time.

I would guess he receives about 30 phone calls a day, plus 25-50 emails,
together with;

Manufacturing
Marketing
Quality Control
Finance
R&D
Purchasing
Dealing with employees :(
Dealers
Five to six major trips per year to rallys
Converstations with Jay Leno :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would think the above would involve at least three or four meetings
per day, plus I am sure he is in constant communications with Monty.

He has to be running around like a mad man trying to keep the ship
running. And I understand he still does factory tours. :shock:

The growing pains BH is feeling, are hard to imagine.

He might get to see his new family on weekends, and run around on the
lawn tractor just to maintain mental health.

I don't envy his job..........Been there, done that, and now I get to see
my doctor 12 times a year. :roll:

Geezer

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I agree. He's busy.

However....

Are we looking at a developing goal oriented company with a true vision in mind here to produce the bike of bikes?

Or are we looking at an entrepeneurial spirit who sees an opportunity to produce a product for the most money with the least input costs?

Everyone customises their ride. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about items and features that should be included for the money we pay. When every single guy with a Boss Hoss has to grease the swingarms, the factory should make them greasable.

Let's develop a list of issues that every single one of us has to deal with regardless of style, opinion, customisation or taste, and come up with a consensus on it. That way, when a new Boss owner comes on line, we can say, "Here's the list pal. You're going to have to do these things to make your bike reliable and long lasting."

If the factory does listen, then when I buy another Hoss perhaps these issues will be resolved from the start. I hope they are.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Howdy Everyone,
I understand Rad is busy, but you do not tell someone something that you are not sure you can fulfill. I called Rad and waited on the phone for an extended period of time to talk with him, app. 5 weeks ago. I talked to him on the phone, he gave me some good advice, and then he promised to call me back. I have not heard hide nor hair from him since. Do not promise to call someon back unless you make sure you call them back. If you have a Boss Hoss you are successful at whatever you do, we are all busy. I do not tell anyone that I will get back to them and then do not get back them.
Sorry for the negative thinking, but at least I feel better now.
Mark from Boss Hoss of Houston, and I are finishing up all the mods that you all suggested to me for the Iron Butt Rally. I think I can. See you down the road.
Regads,
Critter

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I've never had a problem with access to Rad. Maybe I'm a bulldog pain in the ass but won't get off the phone until I speak with him. I've had my problems with the factory but I must say it has been much more responsive than any other manufacturer I've ever dealt with. Try calling the Honda or Harley factory to speak with the CEO...fat chance!...Joe

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys!!
My post wasn't to sheet on the factory, but to come up with a list of mods that all of us have to do for the good of all of us. Then maybe the factory will add the mods to their new lineup someday and eventually the Boss will be like a japper with no wrenches needed ever. HA!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Factory Are You Listening?

Crazy MF and Zen Biker,
You are both correct. Sorry if I messed up your thread here.
Regards,
Bill "Critter"

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure the factory is going flat out and maybe that Rad guy has a lot on his plate. Perhaps we can twist some of the issues with him into a recall request on all our bikes for certain issues...

In any case, you didn't mess the thread at all. It all seems to be related. Let's figure out a way to make this constructive if possible.

I don't think it's proper to be able to talk directly to a factory dude although it's certainly nice sometimes. They should perhaps spend more capital on dealer support and step away from the public directly.

I certainly think my local dealer can use more training in how to support his Boss Hoss customers.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
1. Not interested in cruise - not a car.
2. Theromstat for what - cripes it's a M/C not a friggin Hummer
3. Never had a drop of over flow from mine on the ground - rad. is full.
4. Grease zerks on swing arm - good idea.

Not knocking your wish list, but all of that stuff is available.....just aftermarket and what would those guys do if the factory offered it all.

IMHO the factory did a nice job of progressing form 1990 to 2005. You need to see one of the original bikes (Boss Hogs) next to yours to appreciate the improvements. Or even a stock '96 or '97 production scoot that has not been redone.......huge changes :)

Also remember this is not GM, Ford or Chrysler. This is a copmpany started 15 years ago in a pole barn/hanger/shop on 1 mans $$$$, who sells 300 to 400 units per year. If you do the math, that's NOT a ton of gross sales revenue to reinvest and still feed all of the folks working there.

Compare the price of a new HD ($17M average) to the BH ($34M) and then look at the two bikes side by side. Personally I think they're a hell of a bargain for what you get. I for one don't care to see them build a ton of bikes every year, then it'll be just another V8 :wink:

Tim

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GRUMPY said:
1. Not interested in cruise - not a car.
2. Theromstat for what - cripes it's a M/C not a friggin Hummer
3. Never had a drop of over flow from mine on the ground - rad. is full.
4. Grease zerks on swing arm - good idea.

Not knocking your wish list, but all of that stuff is available.....just aftermarket and what would those guys do if the factory offered it all.

IMHO the factory did a nice job of progressing form 1990 to 2005. You need to see one of the original bikes (Boss Hogs) next to yours to appreciate the improvements. Or even a stock '96 or '97 production scoot that has not been redone.......huge changes :)

Also remember this is not GM, Ford or Chrysler. This is a copmpany started 15 years ago in a pole barn/hanger/shop on 1 mans $$$$, who sells 300 to 400 units per year. If you do the math, that's NOT a ton of gross sales revenue to reinvest and still feed all of the folks working there.

Compare the price of a new HD ($17M average) to the BH ($34M) and then look at the two bikes side by side. Personally I think they're a hell of a bargain for what you get. I for one don't care to see them build a ton of bikes every year, then it'll be just another V8 :wink:

Tim
And I believe we will continue to see improvements from year to year. I like to ride and don't mind wrenching, but given the choice, I'll ride. That's my point.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Speaking of catch cans.

Having a 502 trike, I think it must be the hottest of the BH models.

Once I installed the blower, I didn't have room for a catch can, that
I use to run before it was stock. Always needed it ,as it would puke
all the time.

Since, I installed the new "higher pound rated" 05 radiator cap,
it has not puked once, even in 95 degree riding weather.

Just my experience.

Geezer

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Tell me more about the higher rated radiator cap . What's the advantage of the new cap ???

Jack

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Jack:

Just the cap is rated for a few more pounds of pressure before it
pukes water on the ground. Seems to work great with my application,
and beleive me, mine produces HEAT...... :lol: The critical time is
when you shut off the engine and it heat soaks above the running
temp. This is when it would normally puke.

The advantage, that now I don't have to worry about installing a
catch can, unless I get on the drag strip, where it will be required.

I ran yesterday in 93 degree heat, and the motor never saw above
170-180 degrees, but I have three total radiators and three fans. :roll:

The new one is a little larger in dia that the old one, and still has the
BH wings embossed on it.

Geezer

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Thanks Geez , I run a small catch can {2 1/2" dia . x 5" lg } made by George Buckley who used to be one of the first Boss Hoss dealers but has since retired his dealership { Unlimited Specialities } . Anyway it works fine but would rather not run a catch can for a cleaner look and maybe this cap would be tha answer .

Jack

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Stu makes some good points. Mine puked and puked from day one until I installed the catch can. I also had to install a thermostat because in 45 or 50 degree weather the temp never got above 150. The swingarm grease fittings are a no brainer. What about a watertight fuse box and gauges that are obviously exposed to the elements but are made for interior use so are always fogging? I won't even go near the tranny issue!.
I'd bet that the use of high quality components would not cost the factory more than $500 totally and anyone who is willing to pay $35,000 for the bike would pay $35,500 for the higher quality.
A pertfect example is the new Joker handlebar controls. I installed them at a cost of $900 (parts only) but the incremental cost of having them initially installed would be very small. They are a great improvement.
If the factory reads these posts they will begin to see our issues and I believe they are incorporating much of what we say....Joe

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
upgrades

How about Sanderson headers or even better :wink: , headers that are built by the factory exactly like the Sandersons?

·
Registered
543 Posts
*Go with a conventional high flow belt driven water pump.

*A real two speed automatic that can be power shifted.

*Offer a manual transmission with a real neutral and 2 or 3 speeds.

*A gas tank that allows easy access to the carb.

*Get the heat down or off of the rider!!

*When reserve tank is selected let the fuel gauge reflect the level of fuel in it.

*Hinged tilt body on the trike

*a real wiring diagram of how your bike is wired not just a show of connectors.

*A parts blow up list of your bike, yes the tranny included. All other manufacturers provide them

FastEddie

·
Registered
838 Posts
Geezer said:
Jack:
Just the cap is rated for a few more pounds of pressure before it
pukes water on the ground. Geezer
Geez,
I know this is off-topic, but your posting reminded me to an experience last year.

I came from a bike rally when a buddy (with his Harley) and I stopped
for gas and a coke at a gas station. I saw a puddle of coolant under my
bike, and found out that I had a VERY, VERY small leak at the rear of the
radiator. It didn't leaked when it was cold, just when it was hot and
pressure had build up. I then tried to run a "pressureless system" which
would bring me home without too much stopping for water. I cutted a
window in the lower rubber seal of the cap, so that the radiant could flow
without restriction direct into my overflow canister. After just 15 minutes
my overflow canister was full and overflowed...hehehehe...sounds funny.
I wish it would have worked. In that case I would run the system rather
pressureless than under pressure. But it didn't.

Oh - I forgot the important thing of my posting - my overflow canister is
self made from stainless steel, holds more than one quart, and still
overflowed. After the radiator was repaired I bought a new 16lbs cap and
the massive coolant travel between radiator/overflow canister stopped.
Seems like the less pressure we have the more it will puke.

Loaf

1 - 20 of 20 Posts