V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my intake manifolds has a small area up close to the mounting flange where the ceramic coating has either burned off or chipped off and has surface rust on it . This area is very small but the chrome manifold cover does not conceal it and it bugs me . Do you think High temp silver paint would cover this spot , or am I wasteing my time ? Any advise would be appreciated .

Thanks,
Jack

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
HogV8 said:
One of my intake manifolds has a small area up close to the mounting flange where the ceramic coating has either burned off or chipped off and has surface rust on it . This area is very small but the chrome manifold cover does not conceal it and it bugs me . Do you think High temp silver paint would cover this spot , or am I wasteing my time ? Any advise would be appreciated .

Thanks,
Jack
Jack

We know you meant the Exhaust manifold so yes the high temp paint will work on small areas like you have. I wouldn't paint any more of the manifold than you have to.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Jack:

I don't know if you every met "Jackie" whom is the lady that has
the 32-Duce that sell photos and business cards at rallys.

She advise me to use a product called "OSPAO" which can be found
in the paint dept at Lowes, or Home Depot. She said to brush it on the
rust area lightly and wait as it takes a few minutes to work. Then I assume you wash it off.

I haven't tried it as yet, but will check out the local hardware stores to
see if it is available.

Let me know if you have any luck.

Geezer

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Jack...If you go to an auto speed shop you'll find a silver paint rated for 1500 degrees that comes very close to the ceramic coating in color. I'd mask off everything but the affected area with tape and newspaper and shake the can well then spray "LIGHTLY" at about 8-10"" away. Repeat with another light coat and so on until you are happy. It won't cure totally until you run the engine. I also did my header cover clamps which were rusting. I had a similar problem and never before realized that high temp paint comes in 500, 750 and 1500 degree grades and you, obviously, want the highest rating. You can hardly see where I did it. The stuff is amost like a powder rather than a paint so don't touch until heated and dead dry or it will come off on your finger....Joe

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the advise and yes I meant to say exhaust manifold . Adrian , does anyone make a brush on high temp silver ?

Geezer , yes , I have met Jackie and I'll check out the "OSPAO" . Obviously this product removes or neutralizes the rust prior to painting it , correct ?

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Hi Bob
I'm not sure if they carry the product at Home Depot, I know for sure that they have it at Lows.
It's call OSPHO it's in a clear plastic bottle and the liquid is green. you will find it in the paint department. Apply it with a small paint brush, don't have to be heavy, it don't work right away wait a few minute and you will see the changes.
Hope that help
Jackie
www.jonthespot.com

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 12:15 PM
Subject: Boss Hoss Exhaust Headers

Hi Jackie:

My name is Bob Gamel and I met you at the Boss Hoss National Rally a few years ago.

We somehow got to talking about the rust color that comes out of the headers over time on the Hoss's, and you
mentioned a hardware store product that could be bought at Home Depot that might remove or coat it.

Do you remember what that product was called??

Many Thanks
Bob
[email protected]
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Jack...If you'd rather brush it on, just spray the stuff onto your brush and do that. I'm not sure how that will look but why not try my method and if you don't like it it comes off easily with lacquer thinner...Joe

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Joe ,

I've used the High temp. spray paint on Harley Heads and Jugs dozens of times , but never over rust or directily on a exhaust manifold or pipe and was not sure if it would last or just burn off . I am going to try to locate the product Geezer told me about , use that first and the either spray or hand paint the rusted area . Thanks for all the input guys .

Jack

·
Registered
13 Posts
rusted manifold

Hi Folks,
Nobody mentioned this little trick I have done several times so thought I'd pass it along. I've done several motorcycle headers over the years and found that the paint seems to stay on better if you cure it in stages, being carefull not to run the engine too long at first so the paint doesn't blister, sizzle, burn.... Even after it dries for a day, you may see steaming or light bubbling depending on the thickness applied. I usually start the engine and run only seconds untill the pipe is warm. Let cool as long as patience allows, then repeat several times, running longer each time. Seems to stay on and resist rusting longer.
Kenny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.