V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is in the 90's here is Florida already and we are getting a lot of heat off the exhaust of our boss's -- especially on the right side.. On my 03 the factory manual says that the rear exhaust is wrapped to help with the heat and on the wife's 05 the first and last exhaust is wrapped. Has anyone wrapped all of them or tried anything else to keep the heat down? Milo

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Milo

The reason that they all are not wrapped is because of rust. If you live in a dry clement with little to no humidity then you might get away with wrapping all of them as long as you don't get them wet when you wash it. The factory talked about this once and said that no warranty if it has rust and did not recommend it at all. I have heard that several guys had theirs rot out.

Adrian

·
Registered
838 Posts
Milo,
my right header pipe is also a lot hotter than the left one. I wrapped the
left and right rear header pipes and I covered the inner surface of the
right header cover with self adhesive Thermo-Tec Heat Tape. The
difference is not like day and night, but it helped a little.

Loaf

·
Registered
838 Posts
Oh, I forgot-
and ignition timing is important when it comes to exhaust temps.
Less ignition advance = noticable hotter exhaust temps
Also I noticed after I changed my distributor vacuum from full manifold to ported vacuum - the exhaust temps are DRAMATICALLY hotter
if the dist is hooked up to ported vacuum.

Loaf

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Another problem with wrap is that on coated pipes it holds in to much heat and crystallizes the coating. My first set of coated Sanderson's lasted about 1000 miles before they started splitting where the four pipes merge. on both sides. Sanderson said not to wrap them, and they've been fine for the last 9000 miles.
Another report I read said that the increased internal temperature accelerated the loss of wall thickness dramatically.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts