V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do the ZZ4 exhaust headers come from ? Are the especially made for the Boss Hoss ? I see headers in the Summit catalog that look similar . Anyone know if they can be bought at Summit instead of going through the factory ?

The ceramic coating is burned of my headers in areas and the flange's are getting rusty . Has anyone successfully painted their headers and had the paint stay on . I tried touching mine up with high temp paint but it just flaked off .

If anyone has a new takeoff set in new condition for sale reasonable , please email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Jack

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
HogV8 said:
Where do the ZZ4 exhaust headers come from ? Are the especially made for the Boss Hoss ? I see headers in the Summit catalog that look similar . Anyone know if they can be bought at Summit instead of going through the factory ?

The ceramic coating is burned of my headers in areas and the flange's are getting rusty . Has anyone successfully painted their headers and had the paint stay on . I tried touching mine up with high temp paint but it just flaked off .

If anyone has a new takeoff set in new condition for sale reasonable , please email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Jack
Jack

The headers used by the Factory are made just for the Boss Hoss and to fit the covers. If you look close most headers tubes go different and you can't use the covers.
I had a problem with car Headers so I sent them into a coating company where they recoated them, don't remember how much but mine were Stainless Steel and custom made by Sanderson many years ago. I had them polished in the beginning but the moment I started the engine they turned black as the ace of spades.
By the way any of these guys taking off their new headers to replace them with the Sandersons might sell you a set. Bob Posey gave me his 05 ones for my new trike along with the 2 & 1/2" header pipe and they will look goooood.

Adrian

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Jack...Use 000 or 0000 steel wool on the headers first on the rusted areas and then apply multiplle light coats of 1800 degree silver paint. Put them in your oven on high for 2 or 3 hours before working on them. The paint will cme off in your hands if you don't first "cure" it. My paint hasn't flaked....Joe
PS. I'll have my headers available soon when my Sanderson's come. Not perfect but good. The only areas of coating affected is where the shields clip on. Otherwise clean..Joe

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joe ,

Keep me in mind when you get you new headers . I might be interested in you stock headers . For some reason my ceramic coating is either burned off or flaked off in a couple areas near the head flange .

Thanks , Jack

·
Registered
83 Posts
A local shop that I have dealt with for street rod headers has stopped doing the ceramachrome finish since they were getting so many returned to them with heat problems. It seems that the Nitrous equipped cars were exceeding the exhaust temp limits of the ceramachrome and burning the fisih off. They also noticed that some header designs were more prone to the problems than others.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Jack..My stock headers are off and the coating is in good shape except being scratched through where the shields clipped on. 27,000 miles on them. The junctions between the head flange and primary tubes are fine...Joe

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joe , please email me with a price you would need for the . Remember I'm on a fixed income . LOL [email protected]

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
102 Posts
jack, let me know what price you need for your headers after you replace them. i realize they have some 'damage' but they would be better than my GM manifolds. lincoln.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Headers

lmbrier;

Lincoln, let me caution you in advance, when you find a set of Boss (small block) headers, there IS a left, and a right!

Been there, done that WRONG! Correct is the collector flange is approx 1/4" aft of center. Close, but not close enough.

Boss Hoss concepts has "take offs" not too badly priced ($400ish a set).
http://www.bosshossconcepts.com/pts/index1.htm
Exhaust http://www.bosshossconcepts.com/pts/exhaust.htm

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Linclon , If things work out for me and I get a set I like , you can have mine for the cost of shipping . I'll let you know in the near future .

Jack

·
Registered
102 Posts
THANKS A MILLION JACK!!! is your collector flange located ROUGHLY NEAR the center of the heads and face toward the ground? lincoln.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes .

Jack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts