V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, need some help here. I have been through all the posts I have found on modifying the exhaust to add baffles and have not seen this one yet. I know a bunch of you will say why quiet them down....Load is fine but this thing is obnoxious with just straight pipes.

Currently I have a 2006 ZZ4 350. I bought it used and right now the pipes are straight thru.... I would like to add some baffles to the exhaust but my exhaust is one piece all the way from the headers to the exhaust tips. (See Pictures). Looks like now days most of the exhausts are three different pieces which makes it easier to replace the exhaust portion or add baffles.

Can anyone help me with what I need to get to quiet it down some that would be great? Been looking at a new set of pipes to see if that would be a fix but that is going to be expensive...

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Look at post #30 in the thread below. I bought them from Chopper City a couple of years ago and they work great. Marv made these and they aren't listed on his web site, but if any interest, call him to see if he still has any. Not cheap, but much less than a whole new exhaust. I'm sure others on here will have some other options for you as well. By the way I see you own a Wing. I sold my 06 Wing recently, now with some regret, and as you know they are on the other end of the sound spectrum. Practically sneak up on people with them!

http://www.mybikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22606&highlight=mufflers

Tim :tour:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
MagicGWrider,,, first welcome to the site and the world of V8 bikes. Some have quited the bikes down,, unsure from what they have done,, hopefully they will post here.
One of the guys posted this awhile back:

1.) resonator order # from summit,,, look good if I have to go to a muffler

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HED%2D17120&N=700+0&autoview=sku

·
Registered
699 Posts
Welcome MagicGWRider,Just had a set of mufflers made for my machine 560hp 406" took a lot of the bark out.Can now hear the valvetrain and these mufflers are only a foot long,once off work I'll get a couple of pictures.
Building a new motor that will need custom headers will leave a lot more room for longer mufflers.
We used Stainless Specialties.Dog

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody.....I saw the mufflers that Marv made. Guess I will have to give him a call....

Dog155, look forward to seeing what you had made....

I need to get the bike up to Mountain Boss Hoss too just to have them go through it and make sure things are in good shape. They may have an idea for the muffler too.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Not meaning to be a SA but have you tried ear plugs? i wore some recently for the first time and was AMAZED how much they block out,,,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried them and they help me but not everyone around me. The reason I am looking to tone down the bike is so that I can leave the house at 6am without waking up everyone in the house and the whole neighborhood. Also when I pull it into the garage it shakes the whole house. I already have gotten a few complaints from my neighbors. They are a good bunch of people so I don’t want to make it sound like they are the problem. I just want to bring the sound down a little.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I hear ya on the neighbors,,, mine took me to court,, i won. he was a company man before retirement and was use to having his way all the time,,,they have been pri,,s since we moved in,,, before the V8 bikes,,, all the other neighbors don't have a problem with it. i don't wear the earplugs,,was just surprised how quiet they were.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Same here with the neighbors,they tollerated my wild and crazy days with parties and loud Harleys.The other thing is Maine is becoming a retire state and these old birds like peace and quite,so we now have a noise issue to deal with.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I guess I'm lucky to own enough land that my neighbors are at least 1000 feet away from my house .

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
You guys with the quiet bikes are giving us with the loud pipes a bad name! Folks are gonna start expecting us to obey the rules. If you got OLD neighbors they probably don't hear to well anyway so maybe it will brighten up their day if they hear your pipes and think their hearing is getting better. My neighbors don't mind my bikes at all but they say my ol lady drives so bad that even the mexicans in the neighborhood bought insurance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
One of my neighbors put a note on my truck which was as loud as my Boss and my Street Strip Camaro and said that he would appreciate it if I toned it down when I came home at night. I generally shut down and coasted in so I didn't feel it was warranted. Living in a smal neighborhood of 30 homes with one entrance and one exit, I decided to offer my place as a good finishing point for our annual HOG Chapter "Midnight Ride". I agreed to provide breakfast. You can imagine the fun when over 100 bikes showed up for breakfast at 3:00 a.m.. Every neighbor was up so I am confident I got my point across. Needless to say, it was fun and for the most part my neighbors thought if was great!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Living in a smal neighborhood of 30 homes with one entrance and one exit, I decided to offer my place as a good finishing point for our annual HOG Chapter "Midnight Ride". I agreed to provide breakfast. You can imagine the fun when over 100 bikes showed up for breakfast at 3:00 a.m.. Every neighbor was up so I am confident I got my point across. Needless to say, it was fun and for the most part my neighbors thought if was great!
I like it!!
Any more notes on the windshield?

·
Registered
699 Posts
mufflers

These work great given what little space there is.The new exhaust should easily give me close to another foot of clearance,hopefully a legal db level for a sticker.When the new motor and exhaust are done will post with pic and results

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Dog , none of my business but if it were me I'd rotate that left muffler clamp for more ground clearance . Looks kinda low . I have that same clamp on my exhaust but I have the bolts above the pipe instead of below . It looks like you should have room to do the same . Just a suggestion .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts