V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So envision this.....

I am on the ferry from Gibsons Landing to Horseshoe Bay. I don't want my bike rolling around so I lock the rear brake, just like I've been doing on all the ferries on my holidays. I go to unload off the ferry and BAM!!!, it won't unlock no matter what I do. The guys unload the whole ferry while I'm dicking with it, about 300 vehicles or so. At the last second I get a brainwave and crack the bleeder and let the pressure off. I was within 30 seconds of doing a round trip again but managed to get off. WHEW!!!!

Now I can't get it to bleed and suspect my master cylinder is bypassing, which may be why the thing wouldn't release in the first place.

Made it home after a couple weeks holidays with a 10% rear brake. Fun stuff but the Boss got me home again in one piece, 2000 miles.

·
Registered
404 Posts
it is a common problem that strikes at the worst times, & luckily you found the common solution. Stupid jammer. Good luck with the bleeding process.

·
Registered
898 Posts
parking brake

I bypassed mine all together, will use a small tie down on the front brake if need be. The parking brakje makes bleeding the brakes nearly impossible and I like things simple.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
ONe thing to remember aboout the "parking brake", it is really a 'line-lock' valve. If you have evdr used one in a drag car, if you apply too much presure to the brakes before you apply the 'lock' you can create a situation where you cannot overcome the fluid pressure when you try to release it.

Owners manual states not to use excessive pressure (brake pedal) when you apply it.

It ain't perfect, but I use mine a lot and have never had it stick....

Tim

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm, I must have done that. I haven't looked at it since I got back from holidays. I briefly tried to bleed it on the road but need to have a close look now.

Thanks

Still learning....

stu

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bleeding the Rear Brake

Here is a procedure I have used many times to bleed the rear brake caliper.

Air gets trapped in the line which is higher than the bleed screws. You CANNOT force the air out as it is lighter than the fluid and simply goes to the highest point. I take the back caliper off its mounting bracket and hold it up vertically in the air. I even take off the little mounting bracket that holds the line to the swingarm so the line has a smooth continuous curve up to the caliper. I put a metal bar in the caliper the same thickness as the rotor to keep the pads from pushing out. Hold the caliper up, tap it with your hand to cause the bubbles to go to the top and just use the top bleeder screws for bleeding.

I think you will find that this gets the air out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I did the same thing to remove some bubbles last week, except I used a MityVac pump. The pump alone would not remove the bubbles, but taking the calipers off and rotating it so the bleeders were up did the trick.

Alan

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Tim is correct. Just apply medium pressure to the pedal before pushing the plunger in and you should have no problem. This enough to hold the bike in any parking situation. Don't "floor" the pedal. Six years of using it with no problem....Joe

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had previously used it about 6 times. I may have used more pressure I guess. The times before just required a tap on the brake pedal to release. I didn't have any fluid on my trip and couldn't find any at the local gas stations, so rather than try to bleed until I ran out, I rode home with a weak back brake, no biggie.

I'll try the bleeding procedure soon.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I got this idea from Lamont I think . I made a simple small plastic wedge about 1/2" wide X about 1/8" thick X about 1" long with ring on it so I can put it on a key ring or whatever . Pull your front brake lever on and stick this wedge in the space between the lever and the front master cylinder mount and it holds you front brakes on . Works great . In some situations it works better than using the rear brake lock and at least you don't have to worry about the rear brake locking up on you . Just don't forget to take the wedge out before taking off . Got a picture Lamont ?

Jack

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Looks good , thanks Lamont .

Jack

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bled it out tonight by taking the caliper off and raising it. Seemed to get some air out, but master cylinder seems spongy. Rode it and it was better but not perfect. All of a sudden from one pump to the next, nothing. I strongly suspect I need a new master cylinder.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, did you guys see the smashed ferry on CNN today. That's the one I was stuck on!! I guess the Boss was too much for it. Seriously, whew, coulda been us....

I did have to put a kit in my master cylinder. The rubber cup was bypassing.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I sure am glad somebody explained the proper way to use the parking brake. I had tried it once each on both bikes I've had and had to open a bleeder screw to release it. Major pain and hadn't used it again till the other day. I applied just enough pressure on the rear brake to get the park brake to hold. Came back a little while later and depressed the rear brake pedal and it worked like a champ.

Chris

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Re: parkit

crazy_rick said:
I sometimes have to press the brake down while at the same time pull on the line lock knob to get it to pop out.

That's the same thing I have to do. Especially if it has been parked for sometime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts