V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

Elliot's Old Bike

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  HogV8 
#1 ·
Just got this from Elliot. Wow, this is the guy who bought Elliot's Big Red. Extremely Lucky

Motorcyclist, passenger hurt in crash

By NANCY CUTLER
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: July 12, 2004)

A motorcyclist and his passenger were sent flying over a guardrail on Route 9W and onto the grass 10 feet below after the bike struck a car head-on, police said.

The driver was airlifted to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla and the female passenger was taken by ambulance to Nyack Hospital after the 9:21 p.m. accident on the north end of the Sparkill Creek viaduct.

The motorcycle was traveling north when it drifted into the southbound lane and struck an oncoming Toyota four-door sedan, said Sgt. Michael O'Shea of the Piermont police. The occupants of the sedan were not treated, police and paramedics said.

The large motorcycle was stripped of its body metal, exposing the engine as it lay on its side in the southbound lane. Its make could not be determined. The nameplate was burned off, O'Shea said.

The driver was John Wardell of Harrington Park, N.J., and the passenger was Stephanie Makrias of Norwood, N.J.

No determination of speed could be made last night, O'Shea said. The Orangetown Police Department's accident investigation team and the Rockland County Sheriff's Bureau of Criminal Investigation were working at the accident scene last night.

O'Shea said Wardell, who was airlifted from Tappan Zee Elementary School in Piermont, sustained numerous fractures. Makrias, who was taken to Nyack Hospital, appeared to be in shock, he said. Both were wearing helmets, said Jason Paluck of Rockland Paramedics.

Route 9W at the north end of the viaduct was cordoned off through the night as the investigation continued. Police were inspecting the area, including the grassy patch between Route 9W and Highland Avenue, which leads to Route 340 East.

The accident was just south of a group of shops, including the Mini Mart and Hinode Japanese restaurant. Inside the Toyota, which sustained front end damage, a white bird cage could be seen. Police said a cockateil escaped in the commotion of the accident.

See less See more
#2 ·
That sucks. Hope it wasn't his fault, but being that he is a new rider on Big Red, he is suspect. I hope that they both survive this without any long term injuries.

It is a good lesson for new riders of Boss Hoss motorcycles. These bikes are in such a different ball park from any other cruisers that you may have ridden before that they really have to be treated with the utmost respect at all times. All bikes should be treated with respect at all times, but the horsepower and accelleration of the Boss can take a new rider into trouble if he/she is not on their guard.

Sounds like there may have been a fire too considering that the manufacturers plate was "burned off".

Ride Safely everyone and best wishes for a speedy recovery to John and his passenger.

Hossman

#3 ·
Hopefully John & his passenger pull through......we just lost a very close friend one month ago today and two others seriously injured in a 3 bike accident ........ same scenario.....but not Bosses.....only thing to take away from these types of carshes is heightened awareness and don't get complacent or lose concentration.

Eddie, maybe you can keep us posted how John is doing.

Tim

#4 ·
Tim - I sure will let everyone know if I hear of anything. Tim, you are so correct on awareness. I hate to say this but most accidents on motorcycles happen to people riding their bikes daily. Why? Well you would think the opposite but like you said , you lose that awareness edge and get laid back.

When I get home from riding I am usually beat to hell, not from the physical aspect but rather the mental. Senses are on over drive alert.

Ride Safe,

FastEddie

#5 ·
Rider / Operator awareness

I concur here. I'm no expert. by any means, but am an actice EMS Pilot here in East Central Florida. We do get the obvious "Didn't see the bike" classics, but we also get lots of "attention, distraction (brain farts) and or gusty cross winds" type accidents. One that, sadly, keeps reoccuring here are large scoots, incl 6 cyl wings, towing trailers. FHP, on a couple fatals in the last couple years, have walked back and found a trailer wheel barely off pavement, then over corrected. Similar with lots of solo scoots too. I95 and the Turnpike have long streatches with very narrow r/h paved areas, mostly grass after a 1-2" drop. I guess if you drift past the rumble strips, it may be better to become a novice dirt rider and suck it up, than get back to pavement sideways and hi-side into moving cars.
I have noticed that fewer vechiles seem to "challange" the Hoss than either of my sport touring scoots. Maybe they get more thrill terrifying crotch rockets!

#6 ·
Yes , you have to be alert and defensive but the more you ride the better the odds are that you could have a wreck . A guy that rides a couple of thousand miles a year and can't ride for **** may never have an accident , but the guy that rides 15,000 - 20,000 miles a year and is an expert rider , is more prone to an accident only by exposure .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.