V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had my belt loose a couple of times here recently and it seems every time I go to tighten and align again, it gets worse. I'm about to attempt a major drivetrain alignment. I've read the postings but have a further question.

Are the frames straight to begin with and can we rely on anything to be straight? How many guys have actually had to realign the engine and trans?

My belt initially was in the middle of the front pulley and the outside of the back one. Now it's outside on both no matter what I do.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Stu...I have to admit that after 6+ years of ownership and 28,000 miles I've never been able to get my belt to run in the middle of both pulleys. I think I have tried every method of alignment suggested and have been unsuccessful with that issue. The bike, however, tracks absolutely true and stable at any speed with my hands off the bars with no body leaning which is really all I care about.
The last time I changed the rear tire I used the simplest method yet which i saw Kevin Vetti do at Stamford Boss. He simply measures the distance between the slider and the front of the oval hole on each swingarm side with a caliper and adjusts the axle so that both sides are identical. Then tensions the belt by screwing in each adjuster bolt the same amount and finally rechecks the distance again on each side. I can't believe that this has worked perfectly for me after years of using so much more complicated procedures to get the same result....Joe

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, like I said, I've read all the old posts and remember the last time and all that.

I'm just questioning how much we have to pay attention to engine/trans alignment on an ongoing basis or does it normally stay good once it's adjusted?

Right now my bike tracks good off the bars. However, my adjusters are unbalanced and the bike seems to lean a bit to the left, could just be my perception though.

I think once I dig into this further it'll get clear to me. I just haven't dug that deep into it yet.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Stu , Adrians laser level wheel alignment is the absolute best way I've seen to align the rear wheel to the front wheel. I use two laser levels though , one on each side or the rear wheel . It's just easier than switching the one level from one side of the rear wheel to the other . Once you have the wheel alignment right and the belt tension right don't worry about where it tracks as long as it isn't making noise or wearing anywhere .

If it is making noise or is wearing anywhere you may have to adjust your front pulley , shim your engine mounts or possibly both . But like I said , if it isn't giving you problems , I wouldn't worry about it .

Jack

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to do it the easy way I suggest and check it Adrian's way with the lasers. I haven't done so because the tracking is perfect and i wouldn't change it in any case.
The tranny/engine alignment is not changeable due to the fact that they are bolted together by the bellhousing. The whole tranny/engine unit, however, can be moved a little in the frame by shimming the lower and upper motor mounts...Joe (Neil Weber does this).
PS. If you perceive a slight pull to the left you are almost surely correct and you need to tighten the left adjuster bolt or loosen the right. Do it 1/4 turn at a time.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Well I would love for someone to show me how to get the belt to run in the middle of the rear pulley. The last time I had the wheel off I knew that my belt was running to the left of the rear pulley. I know that you tighten the side that the belt is running on to get it to move the other way. I started off tightening the left side only to get it to move to the right. That didn't seem to matter, it still wanted to track to the left of the pulley. The other side was completely loose and it still would not move to the center or over to the right at all. After fighting it for about an hour I just evened up both sides and gave it the proper tension and called it good. The bike tracks fine but my belt is off to the left and that's where it is going to stay I guess. :roll:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My belt stays left too but the bike tracks straight. I use a caliper as well after I saw Daytona BH align my rear that way.

On the way to work today I started getting a pretty loud squeal when accelerating from a slow cruise. It goes away after the speed builds back up to 50+. I am guessing it is my belt. I changed the rear tire recently and have ridden it about a month with no noise and now it shows up. I'll break it all loose and try to realign it again. It sounds like it is coming from the front pulley because I almost thought it was my tranny making the noise and it may be eventhough it does not do it all the time.

I've never tried adjusting the front pulley but I may move it out a 1/4 inch or so and see what happens.

Chris

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to get ugly with mine until I get to the bottom of this. I'll keep tearing until I figure out a way. I'll let you know who wins.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Alignment

Stu;

A couple of things that may, or may be significant.

First, my chrome covers on the rear axle are not exactly the same size, so even when my wheel is aligned, they make look skewed. Of course I have an older Boss with LOT'sa different parts.

Next, when you get your wheel aligned to suit, and the belt running where you want, if the road isn't perfectly flat (runway, or centerline on a crowned road), your bike WILL lean to compensate for that tire.

Hope I'm not firing blanks to muddy the water!

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
LaMonsterV8 said:
Well I would love for someone to show me how to get the belt to run in the middle of the rear pulley. The last time I had the wheel off I knew that my belt was running to the left of the rear pulley. I know that you tighten the side that the belt is running on to get it to move the other way. I started off tightening the left side only to get it to move to the right. That didn't seem to matter, it still wanted to track to the left of the pulley. The other side was completely loose and it still would not move to the center or over to the right at all. After fighting it for about an hour I just evened up both sides and gave it the proper tension and called it good. The bike tracks fine but my belt is off to the left and that's where it is going to stay I guess. :roll:

Lamont

What you are doing is aligning the engine to the rear wheel.

I have done 3 bikes that had the same problem that yours has and it can be done by loosening all the motor mounts, remove all the washers on the top and the lower front ones. Take the tranny bolts out and replace them with a stud (all thread) and move the back where you need it then install a wood drift type key between the stud and the frame (I have used small allen wrenches). Replace the washers where they need to keep the engine in line.
That is the how I have done it and it works.
This takes a lot of time as an example if the belt is over to the left the rear needs to go to the left.

Adrian

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jack,
I thought the bike leans to the left a bit but can't be sure and thought it may be the tire. If you get that same thing, then that's all it might be. Thanks.

Adrian,
What seems to me is that there are many variables here and what everyone says is correct. I'm with you on putting in an adjuster on the back of the tranny and will look at that. Also, wondering about checking the swingarm alignment as well as I have two extra shims under the right one and just the heavy washers under the left one. Also, my swingarms spring apart about 1/2 inch when the axle nut is realeased.

I haven't got to it yet, but maybe today.

thanks guys
stu

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Chris , take a look at your bottom belt guard . My belt was rubbing mine once and caused a whinning or squealing sound . Also , 99 percent of the Boss's I've looked at including mine , the belts are all running to the left side of the pulley .

Jack

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Alignment

Stu;

I really think all of us really want to be sure our alignment is good is to help avoid the dreaded Death Wobble Tank Slapper.

The only time my Boss hinted @ one, I had been fart.... Scuze me, fiddling with the tension adjusters and had the wheel noticeably misaligned, and the pressure in the 230 was low (negligence!) The belt was rubbing hard. I got it realigned correctly, proper air pressure, and all has been well since.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I did the laser check today and I was within the chalk line exactly 5 inches on either side of my front tire already so no adjustment. Belt was howling a slight bit so I backed off 1/4 turn down to around 400lb or a bit less on the finger guage.

The belt still runs outside both pulleys and I don't feel like dicking with it.

I'm planning on doing the national rally so if anyone can tell me a good dealer between Edmonton and Dyersburg, I'd appreciate it. Maybe even at the rally. I'd like to get somebody to do an alignment on it who knows what they're doing.

til then, I'm riding it, and I forgot to put the lower shield on.

stu

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally got my belt aligned as good as possible without readjusting the drivetrain. I had to push my front pulley into the tranny as far as it would go to get any adjustment at all on the back one. The back wheel is still cocked to the left about 4 mm measurement from the front of the tire to the swingarm, but the belt is dead center of the rear pulley.

The rear of the tranny still needs to come a couple mm to the left to be perfect as the belt is on the outside of the front pulley. I may shim the swingarms to the left a bit.

How exactly do I pull the back of the tranny over? I see two 1/2 inch bolts on the bottom of the tranny and of course the engine mounts. Are there more? I haven't torn the battery out yet to see if there's a top trany mount.

Sorry, I went back and reread Adrians post. I'll try that.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Stu , what you have are the top and bottom motor mounts and the 2 bolts on the tranny and thats it .

Jack

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did some redneck wrenching yesterday. Loosened the trans bolts underneath, of which one was barely past finger tight. Took a pry bar and moved the back of the trans over exactly 15 thousandths. Finally got rid of the squealing off the front pulley and the back is dead center.

Good enough for now. Torqued the trans bolt to almost 100 lb. I hope they hold or I'll have to shim them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts