V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an idea I got from Bob Posey. How many times have you been riding the boss around noon and found the sun reflecting off from the chrome dash inserts just at the right angle to blind you? Bob came up with the perfect solution.... refridgerator magnet material cut to fit the inserts.... simple and easy to carry aroound with you when not in use. :lol:

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I don't have those, but on a related note, does anybody have an idea where to get speedo and guage hoods to keep the reflection off the windshield when riding in low light conditions?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm looking for carbon fiber dash inserts to solve that very problem. Here in Arizona not only does the sun reflection knock you right off the bike, you really feel the heat radiate straight back to your face.

I've heard they were available from Mountain BH at one time but so far I'm not having any luck. Talking to a machine shop buddy to make me some.

Ralphie

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the chrome inserts on my 97 Boss and can sympathize with you on the reflection issue. My 2001 has the black fiber inserts which look pretty good on a yellow bike, but you are correct they are hard to find. That brings me to the point ....the quest for the perfect riding glasses to eliminate glare and make riding on super bright days more enjoyable. After trial and error, I found a pair of Ray-Ban aviator style glacier glasses and had them polarized to boot. They have removable leather side pieces, a mirror finish and I had them made to my Rx. Bottom line...no glare! Of course, if a bunch of dark clouds rolls in you can't see sh_t so have some other glasses handy. Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
Howdy,
Glare is never a problem when I have my tank bag over the chrome inserts. I swear I have thought at times without the tank bag, that I would take the $%^&*&*((()&*&^$$## things off and see how far I could fling them. Then I think maybe I will just sand them down and paint them with non-glare flat black paint. I know the tank bag is bad on my paint job, but I will worry about that once I get all the functional things taken care and get down to the chrome and paint stuff.
I have heard that orginal BHs come with a flat black insert, but I have never found a set yet. Please let us all know what you find out about the fiber ones. I hope that they do not cost as much as the chrome ones, that is what prevents me from flinging them and smiling as they fly away.
Regards,
Critter :oops: :evil:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Although I have chrome tank inserts on my Boss they would be so easy to duplicate out of just about any material you could think of . Just trace them on the material of your choice and cut them out with a jig saw . You could even cement leather to them to match your seat .

Jack

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's a great idea Jack. I think I'll drop by an upholstery shop and ask about covering the chrome with a thin leather like material. Something that will handle rain and washing. My bike is black and easy to match but I bet you could dye just about any color.

Ralphie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had the same issue with the glare and reflection. Was running a chrome dash and chrome inserts. I bought a sheet of the carbon fiber decal off of e-Bay and covered both inserts. Definitely knocked down a portion of the glare. I was able to get the carbon fiber to color match the paint scheme. Worked well and could not even tell these were a decal.

JMan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts