V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my bike on the lift and I noticed my folks were hanging down quite a bit and it really looked a lot better so I decided to crank the adjustment bolts till the bike sat how I liked it. It took 30 short turns but I gained about 2.5" of travel and the bike will not dive when I brake now. I may back it off just a bit but it's a whole new bike now. 8) You guys might want to mark you forks and then jack it up and see how far the legs drop before the wheel lifts off the ground. Mine was about 2.5" :?

·
Registered
526 Posts
You are fortunate!! Mine are all the way down and still bottom out!!! :twisted: I am going to upgrade to the new insides when I can do without the bike and the money for a week or so. This soft front end has almost killed me before and I am sure it won't be the last. :(

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Lamont,

You may recall I posted a story about my forks moving around a bit with no weight on them. I'm curious to know if yours were similar. My front end dives a lot while braking as well. Maybe this is the whole problem. I'm going to check this out first before I take anything apart.

My parts that I ordered for the front end on May 7, finally arrived yesterday, May 25. I told Barry there was no rush so they were sent the slow way. I'm sure if they were urgent I could get them a lot quicker if I wanted to pay air freight.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Lamont,

I made the adjustments that you suggested and what a difference!! I jacked up the front and I could actually push the lower tubes upward into the upper tubes. This told me that while its up with no weight , there is no compression at all on the springs at that point. So I started tightening the top allen head bolts, which were basically finger loose, about 25 X 1/3 turns each until I could feel some spring compression. The bolts were originally about flush with the top of the forks and are now about an inch below the top.

My sweetie (Twyla) and I went for a 670 KM ride yesterday into British Columbia and back. (not a cloud anywhere and about 80F.) The bike has never handled better :D . The new 400 LB. springs in the back and tightening up the front end have made all the difference.

However, if anyone knows what the correct adjustments procedures are for these inverted front ends, it would be nice to know. I really don't want to make any mistakes especially where suspension adjustments are concerned.

At this point, I don't see a need to pull the front end apart. With some compression on the springs, I can't get any lateral movement out of them. But I'll keep an eye on things just the same. :roll:

Thanks Lamont!!

Bryan[/b]

·
Registered
102 Posts
hey Lamont, is there an adjustment on the '95 front shocks? i get dive on braking & she stays down until a backwards roll and brake or accelleration. lincoln.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Could be several things that are not letting your forks recoil , but try loosening the bolts on your fork brace . I think the manual calls for 40 ft. lbs . , but try 20 ft. lbs. and see if it improves . Most of us found that 20 ft. lbs. works best . If that doesn't work , maybe you should think about rebuilding them .

Jack

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Busa Dave said:
You are fortunate!! Mine are all the way down and still bottom out!!! :twisted: I am going to upgrade to the new insides when I can do without the bike and the money for a week or so. This soft front end has almost killed me before and I am sure it won't be the last. :(
You have not lived until you take the forks apart on 01 and latter.
Read my post.

Adrian

http://www.v8bikeriders.com/viewtopic.php?t=722

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I tightened my springs some more the other day out on the highway ( 3 turns ) I am down aprox an inch now too. It was almost like riding a sport bike aroud the long sweeping curves. A little to stiff so I backed off 1 turn and now going around those corners it feels like I am Jumping lightly across a trampoline with both feet together as opposed to one foot at a time. Feels more stable now.
Thanks guys
Bill

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
On top of your fork legs are 2 3/8 allen head bolts. They have little hole plugs in em you have to pop out. My bike is an 05 and I ended up with them both down aboout an inch. ride is MUCH better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts