V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my friend Gary that just bought his Boss 2 weeks ago called me tonight and told me he is having problems. First, his fan quit working today. I told him the only thing I know to check, is by wiring the fan straight to a 12 Volt supply, to see if it is the fan motor or the on/off thermostat on the intake? Any better ideas? Also, he has had a problem with it not wanting to start from time to time. When you press the "start" button, sometimes all you get is a click, and the solenoid doesn't engage. I first suspected a bad connection in the switch area, so he took the switch apart, cleaned it good, but the problem is still there. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it just clicks. I now suspect the solenoid, am I on the right trail, or does anyone know anything else to check out? I am going to try to get down to his house to take a look at it tomorrow afternoon (when I get off these 12 hour nights). I just wanted to draw from you guys knowledge and experiences. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
You are on the right track. I always break down power into an easy process whether automotive or a 20 million dollar mining shovel. A flow diagram of sorts. Power is produced somewhere, transported somehow and used somewhere. A break anywhere along the way will cause problems.

The fan I would pull the leads off the temp switch and short them together. If that doesn't work, take each one individually and ground it to the engine block as it's switched on the ground side, not the hot side. Next, check each with an ohmmeter to make sure one of the switch leads IS grounded with a low resistance reading, 0.1 on a digital or so. Check to see if you can hear the fan relay click and make sure it's connected. Mine was tie wrapped to the frame on the right front under tha gas tank. Check the fuse box, obvious. Then put power directly to the fan.

The other problem I'm not sure which angle to approach because I've not touched that on mine.

It's a small possibility that the two may be related with a shaky main ground somewhere.

Hope that helps.

stu

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
<<Check the fuse box, obvious.>>

If it were me, I'd do this right off the bat. It's happened to me before and a simple fix if the problem.

Chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
Starter

I agree with Stu and here is a simple test.

You have to catch the problem when it is ocurring. Make up a 12 volt test light and attach one of the leads directly to the wire that runs from the solenoid to the starter motor. Attach the other lead to a good ground. If necessary, wire tie it to the bike so you can watch it each time you start the bike until it fails. If the light is lit, but the starter is not running. The starter is defective. (You didn't say what year the bike is. The early starters ingested water and failed due to corrosion. The solution is to replace with a current version of the Power Master starter.)

If the light is not lit but the solenoid is clicking, the fault is either the solenoid contacts or the cable connecting it to the battery.

Continuing with this logic will nail down the problem for you.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I can pretty much tell you the starting problem is the little 30 amp relay. I have been through three of them so far. If it goes completely bad on you then he can jump across the starter to get it going, been there done that. :roll:
I have a 70 amp relay on mine now and so far that is holding up, I think it's a heat thing. :?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
What I do to all my motorcycles is mount a marine waterproof starter button wired directly to the starter and mount it some place so it is out of site but accessable so if you have a problem with the handlebar starter button or wiring or a bad relay , this auxiliary starter button bypass'es all of this and allows you to start the bike providing the starter itself is OK .

Jack

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
HogV8 said:
What I do to all my motorcycles is mount a marine waterproof starter button wired directly to the starter and mount it some place so it is out of site but accessable so if you have a problem with the handlebar starter button or wiring or a bad relay , this auxiliary starter button bypass'es all of this and allows you to start the bike providing the starter itself is OK .

Jack
Another great idea from Jack. That works better than my screwdriver. ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
I used my knife a few weeks ago when the fuse had a bad connection. It must be the old farmer in me. Repalced all the fuses and is fine. Most of the fuses were originals so I cannot complain with the overall miles and the amoun of rain I have driven through over the years.
Glenn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts