V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished the Coan convertor install on my 02 B.H. small block chopper and I want to tell everyone that is interested in this DO IT!!! It was the best money and time I ever spent on this bike. It ranks right up there with the chopper job. Coan is a great company to deal with. Great service, timely delivery, guality, the best performance upgrade I have ever done. No doubt I would do it all over again. Craig at Coan is without a doubt the BEST and MOST FRIENDLY person I have ever delt with. I would recomend this to anyone that has ever even thought of doing it and if they haven't thought about it they should. I am not saying how it compares to the #7 since I have never owned one but this one is great. If anyone has any questions I would be glad to help anyway I can.

Chopperman

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks Elliot..This is exactly what I wanted to here. This re-enforces my thoughts. The only thing that Nesco had at the time I decided to go with Coan, was the Crappy converter that came in the Boss. Some of the guys had Craig to rebuild their Nesco, but as someone said "you can not make chicken salad from chicken sh-t". Now, I see that Nesco has came back with an answer, and evidently a good one, as several of the guys like it. I still have to question the quality...as I found out a long time ago, you usually get what you pay for...my 2 cents

·
Registered
616 Posts
Russell,

I had the first high performance BH converter Coan made in my bike. It was an effort sponsored by Jon Ukman with feedback from Neil, Geezer, Adrian and a few others. It was a great improvement but the one they subsequently built ground up was far better.

I put the first high performance (#7) converter Nesco made into my bigblock testing it for them. Took it to the track and puked it. It trashed my entire tranny. Metal everywhere. Nesco assured us the fix was subsequently made and I haven't heard of any other failures. I think there was a tolerance issue that was resolved. Still, for high performance application, I feel the components Coan is using are higher quality with more attention to engineering detail than what Nesco is using. Craig at Coan had once told me the differences but I don't remember.

For the guy wanting to do some good smokers and wanting a better feel, the Nesco seems pretty good for the money. I don't know what Nesco is currently charging but the difference was roughly half the cost of the Coan. That converter will eliminate a great deal of the "tractor" effect on the bigblocks and the concern over extra heat from a higher stall seems to be negligible. I saw virtually no difference on the tranny temp gauge.

One way or another the higher stall converters seem the way to go. I hope you guys are doing them yourselves as I can't imagine the cost associated with a dealer having to do it.

Elliot

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Elliot,

Must be that NESCO finally got most of their issues addressed. Think about it, used to hear of 2 or 3 converters / trannys a month, now very seldom do you hear of one, and most of those are probably units that have not been updated. Of course guys are riding a little different in ome cases also.

I haven't stopped to see Marv lately, but the last time I was there this summer, I know he was still doing a lot of dyno work on converters and tranny parts. So hopefully this exercise by all of the guys who had problems was not in vain and the products really are better :)

I know I ran my #7 as hard or harder than the original last year and it has performed as advertised. I know Marv told me about the internals on these more recent NESCO units and it sounded (not a converter expert) like they were finally getting into some of the hand brazed vanes and better bearings like the COAN units.

I do know that Marv said NESCO had developed a converter for the 502, but it was not the #7, think he said it a #5 or something of that nature??

It's just nice to have most of the guys up and running and see that the factory and their suppliers did pay attention to most of the discussions and suggestions from owners :lol: I was impressed this year at Sturgis when I saw the '05 models and the improvements & upgrades they had made to them.

I still get a woody every time I look at this beast :oops: :wink: Just wish the damned snow would melt and streets would dry...........it's been a long winter already.

Tim

·
Registered
616 Posts
Tim,

I believe you're right with the #5 nomenclature for the bigblocks. There's some truth to Nesco getting it together and some that isn't true although I'm not sure it's a result of their not wanting to fix things as much as it's Boss Hoss not wanting to spend the bucks to fix things.

There are currently 2 Bosses around here with no reverse. The owners don't want to go to the huge chore of fixing it so they just don't use reverse. There have been numerous additional tranny failures mostly a result of the older gearsets which are nothing but junk. The outter case of the gearset will fail on almost every bike regardless of how it's used. Just a matter of time.

People are still cooking 2nd gear clutch packs as a result of improper driving technique. This goofy local dude has been telling everyone how he cooks the tire on his bigblock in 2nd gear at 80 mph (coughing....BULL****). He's now at a dealer having his tranny pulled with cooked clutches. The dumbass didn't know the difference between spinning a tire and slipping his clutches. I do believe that all the chatter on the websites, particularly Yahoo in the old days impressed upon owners how to and not how to drive these bikes.

Still, I think there are more failures than you think out there. Particularly down here with year round riding and very hot ambient temps, there are bunches. As a matter of fact, I can't think of one single bike amongst the group I ride with that hasn't had one tranny problem or another. If there are any of you S. Florida guys that have 20,000 or more miles and no tranny issues, speak up.

I'll also be the first to say that the tranny with the upgrades has been very strong even at the track. When I consider the abuse given that tranny with the big nitrous shots, big back tires and such, it's impressive. Keep in mind though that all that abuse is without shifting. The 1/8th mile track doesn't require a shift before hitting the trap.

Elliot

·
Registered
121 Posts
Amen to Crazy Rick

I have watched Rick do dozens of 400 ft burnouts on his big block and have heard the folklore of even more outrageous stuff. He has had no tranny problems but he has NEVER abused it in second gear or reverse. I now ride mine with the #7 the same way and will see if I have the same results. I should point out the he has the stock avon tire and does not have the traction that tears thing up as some of you do :twisted: . YeHaw see you guys in Daytona on Friday.

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.