V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

clutch

9K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  hossman 
#1 ·
hello
i am serch a clutch kit for my boss hoss 1995 350 engine! from witch car is the same engine where i can use the clutch?

thanks guenter richter germany :?:

#2 ·
AVZAnsbach said:
hello
i am serch a clutch kit for my boss hoss 1995 350 engine! from witch car is the same engine where i can use the clutch?

thanks guenter richter germany :?:
Hello Guenter?

I have a 98 clutch Boss Hoss. When I replaced my clutch last year I called the factory and was told that the clutch was a 10 1/2" fiber clutch from a '70 chevy nova.

You should probably call the factory to verify that this is true for your '95 bike. I don't see why it would be different, but it doesn't hurt to play it safe.

Good Luck

Are you a new Boss Hoss owner? 8) I don't recall hearing from you before.

Hossman

#5 ·
Welcome

Hallo Guenter. Heißen Sie willkommen zu den Ausschüssen. Ich hoffe, daß Sie Ihren Chef Hoss genießen. Es ist eine ehrfurchtgebietende Maschine. Ich habe Ihr Land vor mehreren Jahren besucht und habe es geliebt. Wir haben Zeit in Bavaria verbracht. Ich möchte zurück gehen. Dieser Ausschuß ist voll von großen Leuten, die mit fast irgendetwas Problem helfen können, das Sie haben können. Nehmen Sie Sorge.

Chris

Olaf,

Wette ich Sie mit mir, ja würden übereinstimmen?

English:

Hello Guenter. Welcome to the boards. I hope you enjoy your Boss Hoss. It is an awesome machine. I visited your country several years ago and loved it. We spent time in Bavaria. I would love to go back. This board is full of great people that can help with almost anything problem you may have. Take care.

Chris

Olaf,

I bet you would agree with me, yes?

#6 ·
Re: Welcome

hallo Chris - Olaf,
ich habe sehr viele verwande in denver und bin so alle 4 jahre in den usa. nun durch das ich die boss hoss gekauft habe werde ich natuerlich jetzt jeden tag einen besuch hier im forum machen! ich hoffe nur das ich bald die richtige kupplung fuer meine boss hoss bekomme.danke an dich und allen anderen fuer die hilfe bis jetzt.

gruss guenter

#7 ·
Re: Welcome

Ncbosshoss said:
This board is full of great people that can help with almost anything problem you may have. Take care.

Olaf, I bet you would agree with me, yes?
I totally agree. Lot's of nice people with a lot of knowledge on
this board. A very good place to learn about the Boss Hoss's tech.

Chris, your german translation was kind of funny. :D You had a little help from an electronic translator, right? Hehehhe....

Olaf

#9 ·
What did he say? What did he say? Come on Chris or Olaf translate it for us English only guys.

hallo Chris - Olaf,
ich habe sehr viele verwande in denver und bin so alle 4 jahre in den usa. nun durch das ich die boss hoss gekauft habe werde ich natuerlich jetzt jeden tag einen besuch hier im forum machen! ich hoffe nur das ich bald die richtige kupplung fuer meine boss hoss bekomme.danke an dich und allen anderen fuer die hilfe bis jetzt.

gruss guenter
hallo,suche leute in deutschland und usa die eine boss hoss besitzen wegen ersatzteile und erfahrungsaustausch sowie treffen! ich komme aus der naehe von nuernberg/deutschland.suche auch ein handbuch der boss hoss von 1995 mit den 5,7 liter motor.

#10 ·
="CarburetorMike"]What did he say? What did he say? Come on Chris or Olaf translate it for us English only guys..
Ok, give me a try:

Part #1
>hallo Chris - Olaf,
>ich habe sehr viele verwande in denver und bin so alle 4 jahre in den
>usa. Nun durch das ich die boss hoss gekauft habe werde ich natuerlich
>jetzt jeden tag einen besuch hier im forum machen! ich hoffe nur das ich
>bald die richtige kupplung fuer meine boss hoss bekomme.danke an
>dich und allen anderen fuer die hilfe bis jetzt.
>Gruss guenter
Hello Chris and Olaf,
I've got a lot of relatives in Denver and I'm visiting the US every 4 years.
Well, I'll visit this forum once a day because I bought the Boss Hoss, and
I really hope to find the right clutch for my bike soon. Thanks for the help
given to me until now.
Regards, guenter

Part #2
>hallo,suche leute in deutschland und usa die eine boss hoss besitzen
>wegen ersatzteile und erfahrungsaustausch sowie treffen! ich komme
>aus der naehe von nuernberg/deutschland.suche auch ein handbuch der
>boss hoss von 1995 mit den 5,7 liter motor.
Guenter said:
Hello, I'm looking for Boss Hoss owners in Germany or the USA to
exchange experiences, swapping parts, as well as meetings. I'm living
close to Nuernberg/Germany. I'm also looking for a manual of my
95' model Boss Hoss with a 350cui engine.

#12 ·
English

Olaf, you're right. I was using a translator! Just having a bit of fun. I have to translate what Guenter posted in reply. I wondered how good those translators were. Oh, Mike, I put what i wrote to him in English below the German. You had to scroll down to see it. Sorry!

Chris

#14 ·
V8soundlover said:
When I replaced my clutch last year I called the factory and was told that the clutch was a 10 1/2" fiber clutch from a '70 chevy nova.

Hossman

Hossie, didn't the factory changed from these first chevy clutch plates to a ceramic type with better springs? Someone said that a while ago if I remember right.

Loaf
Loafer,

When I contacted the factory, they told me that the fiber clutch is the way to go. I had the ceramic clutch on my Boss when I bought it. It was ground down to nothing. I suppose that that will happen to my fiber clutch, but I rode it all last summer with no problems. That is like two men riding it all the time. I didn't even have to adjust it in for wear yet. I think that George Williamson might have told me about the fiber clutch too. It also seems to have more contact space with the friction plate.
I got mine from NAPA I can get a part number if Guenter wants it.

Hossman

#15 ·
On the other hand, the guys in the yahoo group told me about a higher performance clutch last year. It costs twice as much money, but it is supposed to be the cat's ass. I may go to that clutch next time I have to replace mine. I can't recall the name off hand, maybe someone else can.

Hoss

#16 ·
Hoss,
They were talking about the centerforce high performance clutch. It has weights on the pressure plate that work with centrifigal force to increase the clamping pressure as rpm increases. Still alows for a minimal of clutch effort.

#19 ·
Guenter,

Here is some information that I found for you on the yahoo V8 Cycles Group:

----- Original Message -----
To: v8cyclesgroup@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 12:56 PM
Subject: [V8CyclesGroup] Re: Clutch problem?

Les,
I understand that your bike has low miles but when clutches make
noise engageing and disengaging without the engine running, there is
usually something wrong. I was getting a clicking sound one time and
the torque springs on the disc had all come loose. That was on the
original disc supplied by Boss Hoss. A ceramic clutch. Bad news.
Too much grab. I got rid of that for an organic clutch disc and have
had no problems since.
Rick

From: "Rick Carnevale" <v8rider@a...> Date: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:26 pmSubject: Re: Clutch ?

Jason,It is the pressure plate made by Centerforce that is different fromother clutches. It is a unique design thats sole purpose is tolessen pedal pressure without sacrificing clutch tension. You willhave to use the Centerforce pressure plate or there will be noadvantage to using the Centerforce clutch disc without the correctpressure plate. This unit works great. I put one in a friends biketwo years ago and have not had to touch it since then. Not evan anadjustment.

Rick--- In v8cyclesgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Pierret" <jpierret@k...>wrote:> Called Boss Hoss to clarify things. They provided 10 1/2" and 10spline. The only thing I'm concerned with now is the pressure plateand how much pressure it's gonna take to release while driving.Anyone have a part number of a pressure plate or kit they put in fromcenterforce they would recommend? Or if not from centerforce thenwhere they got one and for what application? Does anyone have aclutch kit they want to get rid of?

Thanks>> Jason>>> ----- Original Message -----> From: Jason Pierret> To: v8cyclesgroup@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 11:28 AM> Subject: Re: [V8CyclesGroup] Re: Clutch ?>>>

Ok then....I called a local high performance shop and told themmy application. they said a centerforce is readily available butneed to know a couple of things. I don't know whether it is a 10 or26 spline on the input shaft or if it is a 10 1/2" or 11" disc.>> I was going off of the suggestion that the clutch currently inthe bike is equivalant to a 1978 Camaro. Does that sound aboutright? I bought the bike from George Williamson and that is what hesaid he put it in to the best of his memory.>

I hope this helps.

Hoss

#21 ·
I bought a manual from the Boss Hoss Factory for my 98 Boss. It costs either 10 or 20 bucks. You should be able to get one for your Boss. Factory phone number is:

731-286-4915

The manual is not the best, with poor quality pictures. It reads more like an assembly manual, but it usually gets the job done.

My wife told me that you called last night. Sorry I missed your call. I have been trying to locate my clutch box so that I can get you the NAPA numbers, but so far, no luck. If it turns up, I will get back to you.

Hoss

#22 ·
hello hossman,
i call with the boss hoss dealer in nederland and they say the best what i have to do is put out the old clutch from my bike first and look whats diameter have the clutch 10 1/2" or 11" disc and 10 or 26 spline.then its no prob order new one.

guenter

#23 ·
hello hossman,
now today i get one mail from bosshoss.com what you think for the price?:

Thema: Boss Hoss
Datum: 28.01.2004 16:15:27 Westeuropäische Normalzeit
Von: dougzaricor@bosshoss.net
An: avzansbach@aol.com
Kopie an: levigentry@bosshoss.net, lindarichardson@bosshoss.net
Internet-eMail: (Details)

The VIN looks to be a special PA registration and title.
Possibly a very early kit bike.

The clutch is probably the same as our application.
Recommended was a 10.5" clutch disc and pressure plate. You originally had a stock type clutch disc with a pressure plate designed for a (preferably) straight six engine ('68-'71 truck or bus, even a Nova if need be, with a straight six) this allows easier mechanical break over of the diaphragm. Later we offered a button disc that would not slip as a stock disc could but it held to the point of twisting the center out of it, possibly causing the clutch to not operate properly the next time it is needed.
It was definitely the disc of choice after it came out but very expensive.

Clutch, Fiber 3120100 $73.50
Clutch, Ceramic Button 3120101 $165.90
Pressure Plate 3120200 $120.41
Throw-Out Bearing Short 3120301 $35.93

If you would like to order or have more questions, please contact Levi at levigentry@bosshoss.net

Thanks for your interest in Boss Hoss,

Doug Zaricor

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Zaricor;Doug
FN:Doug Zaricor
ORG:Boss Hoss Cycles, Inc.
TITLE:Quality/Production Manager
TEL;WORK;VOICE:731-288-0598
TEL;CELL;VOICE:731-676-1441
TEL;WORK;FAX:731-288-0923
ADR;WORK:;731-286-4915;790 So. Main St.;Dyersburg;TN;38024;U.S.A.
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:731-286-4915=0D=0A790 So. Main St.=0D=0ADyersburg, TN 38024=0D=0AU.S.A.
ADR;HOME:;;;Dyersburg;TN
LABEL;HOME:Dyersburg, TN
URL;WORK:http://www.bosshoss.com
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:dougzaricor@bosshoss.net
REV:20040128T165345Z
END:VCARD

#24 ·
Sounds like what they told me last year. If I were you I would buy the throwout bearing from Boss Hoss and the rest from a good parts store. Before I did that, I would contact Levi at the factory and ask him if this would work. I believe that they modify the throwout bearing at the factory, this is why you want to buy that from them. The rest can be bought in a package from a good parts store. I used NAPA. I don't know if you have NAPA in Germany. You will save about $200 dollars American by doing it this way. I paid $115 for the entire clutch kit. If money is not an issue for you (it is always an issue for me :oops: ) then buy everything from Boss Hoss. If it doesn't work or fit, you are covered that way.

The dealer that you spoke to locally had a good idea. Split the frame, pull out the clutch, and take it in to be matched up.

I did my clutch myself, however, I defer to the much more knowledgable members of this board. If anyone thinks that I speak in error, please set me straight.

Hoss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.