V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a small tip. If you get a "clank" over sharp bumps like railroad tracks and such, it's probably the upper belt guard hitting the frame downtube near the pulley. Cut a 1" square piece of rubber (I used radiator hose) and cement it to the downtube where the belt guard hits it. Noise gone. Stupid little trick that works and can't be seen...Joe

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
The rear bolt fell out of mine half way back from Ohio this spring and it rode on the belt for a whole day until I could get to some tools.

Lamont, you got it, and I did just that when I got home. The bottom one too and one day I'll grind off the hangers too.

·
Registered
481 Posts
In the middle of the upper guard is a secure point with a spacer. I took out that spacer and no more clanging!

Dave in Columbus

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Stu...
Do NOT take off the lower guard!!!! you will be leaving yourself to picking up a rock or piece of debris in the rear pulley. your belt will let go soon after.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Yeah I know. But that's like eating spinach. I know it's good for me, but I just don't want too. I promise to mention it here if and when it happens so you can say 'I told you so'.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
crazymf said:
Yeah I know. But that's like eating spinach. I know it's good for me, but I just don't want too. I promise to mention it here if and when it happens so you can say 'I told you so'.
Stu

I want to be the first to stand in line and tell you "I told you so " because it will happen. It is not like it might happen and the consequences is big time. I'm not sure what a new belt costs but heard $500 or so. If I were determined to ride with out a lower belt guard I would carry a new belt, jack and necessary tools to change the thing when it brakes out in no mans land.

Adrian

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I might have to come to Sturgis so you can tell me in person. I needed a reason anyway. Depends how busy we are here at the kennel after the Aug long weekend.

I'm going to put it back on now just because you guys are invoking Murphys Law on me. Damn...hehe...after I do my alignment.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Stu , you should have listened to you mother when she said to eat your spinach because it's good for you and you should listen to Adrian and run your lower belt guard because it's good for you .

Jack

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
:D I will be able to cross that off my list of 'when' things that are going to happen.

Now it's just 'when' I'm going to drop my bike....

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I thought there was supposed to be an advantage of a belt over a chain :?: Of all the dozen assorted bikes I've owned, I've always had a chain. Yeah, maintenance, ya gotta wash & oil it every other ride, but I've never had one break in the middle of no where. The worst abuse I did to chains was on my new 1976 YZ250 motocrosser in the New Jersey pine barrens almost 30 years ago. Sand ate up chains and sprockets like they were made of butter.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK...play with the Devil but at your own risk. Maybe ok and may be a disaster but an in-pulling sprocket in the airstream near the bikes bottom, unprotected just makes no sense to me at all. The bottom of my lower belt guard is so full of abrasions and pits from road crap which would have all been sucked into the sprocket....Joe
By the way...The sand and rocks will eat up your sprocket quite nicely and the advantage of the belt over a chain is constant tension, no needed lubrication and longer wear.

·
Registered
838 Posts
LaMonsterV8 said:
No stinking lower belt guard for me. :twisted:
Mine is off, too. It was rusty and ugly at all. I took it off when I bought
the bike. I've cut the front hanger completly, and the rear hanger to half
the lenght. I use the (rest of the) rear hanger as mounting area for my
side mounted licence plate.

Loaf

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Ya , back in the old days we didn't run no stinken ugly front brake either . Not too smart , but cool .

Jack

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
So tell me of one guy you know of that had a problem because they didn't have a lower belt gaurd on their Boss. I'm not saying it can't happen but I just don't know anyone it has happened to.
Show me one custom chopper that runs a lower belt gaurd. All the ones I have seen only run a top gaurd if that. :roll:

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Well I haven't heard of any either, but because the guys jinxed me I'll be the first and then Adrian will say 'I told you so'. hehe

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I know of two harleys that lost drive belts from a rock.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
7000 miles since I took off both top & bottom.......not a mark on the belt.

However, after a burnout...stay out of the rocks as the tire really picke them up hot.

Only failure I've seen was Marv....and he ran the belt with several holes in it for a long time before it puked

1 - 20 of 21 Posts