V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's a weird one. My left pipe gets noticably hotter than the right one. The blue is further down the header on the left pipe. When I checked my mufflers, the glass was half burnt out in the left pipe. Hotter to the touch too on the left.

Fuel injected, no thermostat. Is this just nature of the beast or should I be concerned??

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would think that just running without a thermostat is a problem by itself, especially with fuel injection. The sensors are looking for proper air/fuel mixture which is irregular with temps being off. That alone shouldn't make one side hotter than the other, but it could be part of the effect if you have better water flow in that part of the block and heads. The thermostat no only lets the engine warm up to proper operating temps but also keeps the hot water in the radiator long enough to allow the air flow through it to cool it down while the thermostat is closed. If it runs too fast through the radiator to allow the heat to dissipate properly it will get too hot.
I'd start off with a thermostat, then get an electronic temp gun and point it at each cylinder and monitor the differences then, take it from there.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I threw a thermostat at it today. The chev dealer said a 195 is stock and standard issue for smallblocks. I drilled 8 1/8 holes in it on the advice of a couple guys to not deadhead the water pump. Temp was 19 degrees c today and the engine temp climbed to 175-180 cruising down the hwy. I suspect it will climb a bit more as the temp comes up in the summer. Yesterday same air temp and it was sitting at 145 cruising, so it made some difference.

Engine still seems to run the same, but I'll do more checks on some stuff. My local chev guru wants to check the tps position and we'll check codes too.

Learning something every day.

thanks
stu

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Stu...no need to drill holes in the thermostat with the water pump we have and 145 is just too cold. An excellent engine man I know told me that 160 should be the absolute minimum operating temp. My advice is to take out that drilled thermostat and replace it with an intact one like I've been using and many others with no problem...Joe

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Joe,
I may do that as today coming to work at 10 degrees c, the temp only climbed to 155 or so. I'd like to see a more consistent temp myself. I can say that after researching my FI system, which is a Howell, that it definitely runs better with engine up to temp. I don't notice it so much at higher speeds but I don't get the surging at lower rpms. It has something to do with the system going into 'closed loop' operation where the computer actually takes over control. If the engine isn't up to temp, it operates in a predetermined fuel mix called 'open loop'.

I was disturbed that they put a 10 cent air filter setup on a 40k bike too. Going to Airdrie today to get a K&N setup for it. Probably change the thermostat again while I got the tank off.

You guys were right, this ain't no Jap bike. My wrenches have never been so busy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts