·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Joe , for some reason I can't see it .

Jack

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Thanks Joe and Don, that's the same can I have .

Lamont , I bought my Boss new from the guy that developed this particular catch can and it was Installed on the bike when I bought it . No it does nothing for cooling but does your bike ever puke antifreeze out onto the ground ? I don't know because I've never been without the catch can .

Jack

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
As you know I have used that ugly water bottle for a reservoir for a bit. It completely fills when the bike is hot, and completely empties when cold. That's what it does. Keeps the radiator full.
stu

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
That's why I was asking about the radiator pukeing antifreeze . I know a few of my friends that wouldn't like an antifreeze puddle on their driveways when I come to visit them . I"d have to park it out in the road . It would be nice to have a catch can with a sight glass in the side of it so you could see what happening inside .

Jack

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Overflow can

Stu;

If you could do a "Ripple" or "Chianti" there might be a good market! I'd certainly line up!

Lamont;

My Boss never stopped "spitting" until I put an overflow container on it (1 of Barry's). I kept hoping it would seek a level, but it didn't. When I would first turn the key on you could hear all sorts of gurgling in the cooling system. Spit can stopped that.

My radiator is about 1 7/8"s thick, and single speed kept the engine wound tight on the big road.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
HogV8 said:
Thanks Joe and Don, that's the same can I have .

Lamont , I bought my Boss new from the guy that developed this particular catch can and it was Installed on the bike when I bought it . No it does nothing for cooling but does your bike ever puke antifreeze out onto the ground ? I don't know because I've never been without the catch can .

Jack
Mine puked until it got to a certain level and then it quit. I was going to buy one when I first went to Daytona on the Boss and a dealer talked me out of it. I guess it really doesn't matter. I did have one for a little while but have seen no ill affect by getting rid of it and it held a lot more than those little cans. :roll:

·
Registered
838 Posts
HogV8 said:
It would be nice to have a catch can with a sight glass in the side of it so you could see what happening inside .

Jack

Jack,
I've seen this catch can at the European Bike Week last year.

Loaf

·
Registered
838 Posts
LaMonsterV8 said:
Mine puked until it got to a certain level and then it quit. I was going to buy one when I first went to Daytona on the Boss and a dealer talked me out of it. I guess it really doesn't matter. I did have one for a little while but have seen no ill affect by getting rid of it and it held a lot more than those little cans. :roll:
Mine puked not very much, but again, and again, and again, and again...
..until the radiator was only 2/3 full. After I installed the catch can it never
puked a drop after, and the radiator is full like I am at saturday night 2am.

Hehehehehehe...

Loaf

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Olaf , I like that idea with the sight tube or glass but I like the overflow can that Lamont made better because it is out of sight under the side cover and you can see thru it . My problem is I'm out of room under my seat and side covers but I'll have to think about this . I'm used to seeing the one I have but would rather it wasn't there . I like the clean look .

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for upsizing the photo, Don.
My radiator continued to puke at every stop and a lot! Like Loaf, I actually had to keep adding coolant and it never found it's own level which I believed it would. It made no difference in terms of temp and cooling but I hated the mess after every ride especially on my garage floor. This little catch can stopped it totally and the puked coolant is then sucked back into the radiator as cooling occurs.
If you don't have the problem don't use one but if you do the small one works perfectly without the need for the really long unit I see posted. The volume of coolant puked is never enough to overflow the can...Joe

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Lamont , what is that container , a widsheild washer tank ? Does it have a hose connector both top and bottom or did you have to fabricate ?

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
HogV8 said:
Lamont , what is that container , a widsheild washer tank ? Does it have a hose connector both top and bottom or did you have to fabricate ?

Thanks,
Jack
Doing a little testing here and I may have to eat a little crow. :roll: Seems I was lower than I thought as far a coolent goes and the new bottle seems to be helping as far as keeping the temps down.

You can get these at just about any auto parts store Jack.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Thanks Lamont , I'll check it out . Like I said , I would rather have my catch can hidden than hanging out in the open on the crash bar . I just got to find a space .

Jack

·
Registered
153 Posts
This site continues to save me money and give me ideas that sometimes just don't come to me. Like Jack, I would rather have my catch can hidden and was just getting ready to purchase one of those polished catch cans for $45. While looking at LaMont's picture of his plastic container, I saw the ratchet strap for his Odyssey battery. Not rocket science but for some reason I just didn't think of that when installing my Odyssey battery. I used a couple of humongous plastic cable ties around the battery carrier to tie mine down which is fine until I want to remove it. I did put some strips of tacky weather stripping on the bottom of the tray to keep the battery from sliding around in the tray. Thanks guys.

Mike

1 - 20 of 38 Posts