V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a catch can for radiator overflow that will mount to the crash bar they don't need. Lookin for a chrome or polished one if possible.
Kevin

·
Registered
613 Posts
The July-August Issue of Summit catalog or www.SummitRacing.com has several catch cans from $14.50 to $159.88. They should have something that fits your budget and tastes.
They also have a Red Line Water Wetter Cooling System Treatment and a Design System Engineering Radiator Relief. Both of these treatments are supposed to reduce operating tempurature by 30 degrees *. Has anyone had any experience with these?
They also have exhaust wraps and Heat Barriers. I plan on trying these and will keep you posted.
Milo

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 98 SB and ran Water Wetter last year w/ only water in the radiator. It lowered my temp about ten degrees. I was still running 200 degrees, or more, on the highway. Last winter I changed to the bigger radiator and now I run 150 to 160 all the time. The Factory told me I could run the temp up to 210 and it should be OK, but at 220 I would have a problem. With the aluminum heads I was concerned about so much heat, so I switched to the bigger radiator.

I think it probably runs too cool now, and am playing with the timing to get it a little hotter.

Dean

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I gotta get one too. My local dealer won't order one for me though so I have to go down south, again. Until then, here's what I use.

I've heard lots of guys talking about engine temperature and so forth. It seems to be a mindset of past days and air cooled engines that lower temperature is better. These are chevs, not harleys. I for one put a 180 thermostat in my small block and didn't drill out anything. Brought my temp up to between 200 and 210 in any weather condition. Now my fuel injection works right and I get 30-32 mpg on the hwy no matter how hard I ride. The fan will kick in if I sit for a while and goes off when I move. No brainer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I bought one from Southwest Specialties (www.swspecialties.com) for $45.00... polished stainless and mounted it with a couple highway pegs mounts to crash bar. Looks great ! Less filling ! I will post pic of it as soon as I can... It looks just like the one that Atlanta Boss Hoss sells for $300 ???
Kevin

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Dean....Install a 160 or 180 degree thermostat instead of screwing with the timing. You certainly don't wnat to increase the temp by messing with good timing! I put in a 160 thermostat and maybe should have gone to a 180 but at least I know the minimum operating temp will be 160 at least....Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts