V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to mount a Carter fuel pump vertically between the carb. and the distributor . I know I will probably have to fabricate my own mounting bracket , but is there room . Just curious if anyone has attempted this or knows if it will fit there . I know there are other places it could be mounted , but I'd like to try it there .

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
898 Posts
Carter fuel pump

Jack
Your better at these modifications than I am but personally I wouldn't mount it under the tank - heat and noise would be my concern. My pump is pretty quiet but some people have commented about theirs being pretty loud. I'll send pics of the way Tim and I did it if you want.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Jack

I mounted mine there and it fit perfect. It was the Holley and I think it is about the same size as the Carter.

Adrian

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Hey Jack,

Depends on the Carter you use. The one Wag & I use (4070) could not be mounted there as the pump is too large. I believe Carter does have one the same approximate size as the Holley and it would probably fit, although as Wag said, the heat can't help it. We mounted ours way back near the battery and off the bell housing to get it to run cooler. So far they have been flawless.

Tim :capwin:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've used up all the space above the bell housing so that's why I would likw to mount the fuel pump between the carb. and the distributor . It seems like if it was mounted properly it should get enough air circulating around it ?

Adrian , what Holley did you use that fit there and did you ever have a problem with vapor lock ? Also is the Holley noisey ?

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
HogV8 said:
I've used up all the space above the bell housing so that's why I would likw to mount the fuel pump between the carb. and the distributor . It seems like if it was mounted properly it should get enough air circulating around it ?

Adrian , what Holley did you use that fit there and did you ever have a problem with vapor lock ? Also is the Holley noisey ?

Holley red (12-801) is the one I used, it never Vapor locked and is quite as a mouse. It fits nicely behind the Carburetor and does the NOS proud. The other nice thing, you don't need to use a press regulator.

Adrian

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...k=KeywordSearch&Ntt=holley+fuel+pump&x=19&y=5

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Adrian ,

I like the the Holley Red because it will fit where I want to install it and the mounting bracket looks a hell of a lot simpler than the one that comes with the Carter .

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Wag or Grumpy

I bought the same fuel pump you guys have and looked at the location yours are mounted in. Would you please post or email me the pictures you have. It looks like a pretty tight fit alright. I tried to pull up the carter fuel pump section on your site Wag but it would not come up.
Thanks Bill

·
Registered
624 Posts
Jack,
Mounted mine behind my left cover. I have used both the Holly Red Pump and the Mallory 110. I currently have the Mallory 110 in. Welded a mounting bracket and it cust clears the belt by almost 3/8" and is approx 1/8 - 1/4" from the top frame section.
Glenn

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Wag,

Can you e-mail or post those pics for Bill?? I don't know that I took any, otherwise I'll take some this week.

Bill,

With the original battery it was a tight fit to it, but we installed the 925 sealed batteries and have a lot of room.

Tim

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Thanks Tim. I put the smaller sealed battery in mine but had to build a storage box behind it that was the same height as the original battery. The corbin seat that came with the bike actually rested on top of the battery. So now I have a sealed storage box behind and no more room than with the original set up.
I looked at putting it over the drive belt but dont know if there would be road slime getting thrown up on the electrical conections. You would think all I have to do is have a look at how dirty it is around that area but after having the bike a year I have yet to ride in a storm.
Going riding for a couple of weeks on friday and thought I would take the carter as back up. I could be on the side of the road for a day trying to make it fit :x or get some real long gas hose and hold the fuel pump on my lap :lol:

I have just now decided to rely on the dependability of our BOSS HOSS MOTORCYCLES and change the pump when I get back as a just in case fix. It works just fine so far.

Thanks for the heads up to Wag
Bill

Bill

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
WHADDAYA MEAN YOU'VE NEVER BEEN IN A STORM?????!!!!!!!

All I gotta do is think about riding and a cloud forms over my head. You need rain, invite me down. hehe

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
MF
I have been in storms but not with this bike. Only had it 1 year and wound my way around wet weather or holed up till the sun was shining. No particular place to go except riding. That is until my wife calls and asks ,when are you coming home. I'm a suck so I head back in the general direction.

Bill

·
Registered
624 Posts
Bill,
Having it over the belt is no problem. The positive connection is connected with a butt connector and heat shrink tubing was used to seal and the ground is to one of the mounting bolts and "gooped" with di-electric grease. I have done more than a few days in the rain. Up to 500 miles a day in rain. I ride in the winter/spring when the salt is washed off the roads and there is plenty of sand. No electrical problems. Only thing I have found is the rotary pumps last 25 - 30 K miles. (I am told this is standard although I had hoped for more.)
Glenn

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think if your going to carry a spare fuel pump , a spare stock pump is the most compact and would be the easiest to replace if you were to have a problem on the road . With everyone replaceing the stock pumps on the older bikes , there should be plenty around .

Jack

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Jack
I thought about carrying a stock one but I just got the carter and now I am going to just ride, leaving Friday, and worry later if I have too. The carter will be a little project over winter. (cross my fingers)

Bill

·
Registered
624 Posts
Bill,
The rotary pump is the style of pump. The Holly Blue and Red Pumps and the Mallory 110 are rotary style. I believe the Carter is also (not sure never had one) but the size is similiar to the Holly pumps. For a spare I carry a "barrel" style Carter that I keep in my tool pouch.
Glenn

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hay MF and Bryan

There is going to be a little folk festival just outside Toefield ( S.E of Edmonton)at the sholtz farm this weekend. 11 or 12 bands. All profit going to the heritage society around there. Ask for directions around the town if there are no signs. I am headed over on Friday.

Bill

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Bill,

I'll be on another ride for the day on Friday, going over the Highwood Pass with a bunch of oilfield bums I know.

Are you going to be there on Saturday? If so, I'll take a ride up and meet you. Stu should go if he's not tied up already. He doesn't need a big excuse to go for a ride and he only lives about 30 miles or so from Tofield.

Bryan

1 - 20 of 34 Posts