V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just added this cargo net to the trunk of the trike. Much needed for helmets, gloves, glasses etc. This also keeps things away from the trunk latch so it won't jam. Cost was only about $20 bucks.

http://www.v8bikeriders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1391 <<<--- all photos here

:fullsize:
IMG_2389.jpg

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Excellent photo display! Can't go wrong doing it the way you've shown us? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Great idea, 57. I've heard other
members say that the contents
of the trunk move around a lot.
Having to empty it if you raise
the body and this handles all that.

Paul H

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
This also keeps things away from the trunk latch so it won't jam.
Good idea...one problem I find with the '57 is definitely the contents of the trunk moving towards the latch and up against it and then you can't open it because the latch has to go inwards to open...even just a jacket is a pain if against the latch

Your idea will help somewhat but a fuller / packed trunk will still cause contents to move up against the latch..any ideas to cover the latch for a permanent fix??

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Barry, I have been thinking about this for a few weeks. I was going to cut an empty can of baked beans in half and pull the label off - thinking to self .... "hmmm it almost looks like chrome." Just kidding about the bean can. Not sure what I will end up doing. Maybe when I am walking through the hardware store I will see something cool to use. Anyone else got any ideas on protecting the trunk lock to keep it clear of jams?

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
Barry, I have been thinking about this for a few weeks. I was going to cut an empty can of baked beans in half and pull the label off - thinking to self .... "hmmm it almost looks like chrome." Just kidding about the bean can. Not sure what I will end up doing. Maybe when I am walking through the hardware store I will see something cool to use. Anyone else got any ideas on protecting the trunk lock to keep it clear of jams?
You and I are thinking exactly the same...I was also going to do a walkabout...something like a small plastic cap cut in half and fasten to the trunk bottom in front of the latch

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stainless steel soup bowl, maybe?
Good one Ric ...and I thought you said you only had one brain cell... ha ha. What you said made me think, and I may even still have a nice little old stainless hamster feeding bowl that I can cut in half and smooth the edges if its the right size. Even got a flanged lip on it to screw it down. A hamster bowl trunk dam!

Chuck

·
Registered
8,619 Posts

Good one Ric ...and I thought you said you only had one brain cell... ha ha. What you said made me think, and I may even still have a nice little old stainless hamster feeding bowl that I can cut in half and smooth the edges if its the right size. Even got a flanged lip on it to screw it down. A hamster bowl trunk dam!

Chuck
Or a dam hamster bowl latch cover .

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
When we purchased our trike in 2008,it came with a small plastic rectangular bowl that had a cut-out for the latch assy. It came in handy until we learned how to pack the trunk. Since then,it's kinda rare for the latch to get blocked.
One of the reasons we haven't installed a tilt kit is the fact all of the trunk contents will be weighing heavily on the trunk lid when the body is lifted. Though,the 2009-later 57's w/higher cut trunk lid wouldn't be as much of a problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
That was the problem on the first lift I installed on a 57 but was a snap to make a small 1/2 round 3" tall shield to keep stuff from getting in the latch. Just make a neat shield and works like a champ.
I have had one that when they got on it hard the stuff in the trunk would block the latch and they didn't have a body tilt. He would speed it up and then jam on the brakes so it would slid forward.

Adrian

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife donated a nice little stainless cup. I cut it and it just might work, but I havent installed it yet. Photos of it after the holidays.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
My wife donated a nice little stainless cup.
Does she know yet? :wink:

Although I understand the issue with the lock, since I don't have a trike it's challenging for me to visualize what is needed and therefore have had no suggestions at all. Looking forward to the pictures.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Does she know yet? :wink:

Although I understand the issue with the lock, since I don't have a trike it's challenging for me to visualize what is needed and therefore have had no suggestions at all. Looking forward to the pictures.

Cheers,
Mike
well she knows now. She said why didn't you just try a bin pull handle, cup pull handle, or half moon handle? I had forgotten about this old style drawer handle. I think I am in trouble.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&.....0.0...1.1.ljJcYMQ-01Y&q=drawer cup pull#p=9

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
She said why didn't you just try an drawer cup pull? I had forgotten about this old style drawer handle. I think I am in trouble?

If we men wanted to go the logical, direct and easy route - we would do things differently. Like stopping and asking for directions. Like checking to see if there is a product already out there to do the job rather than making one from scratch or re-engineering a totally unrelated item to fit our needs. And in my case, after the fact I typically discover that I've spent as much, if not more, buying the materials, creating one or more prototypes and making it work than I would have if I had just gone the easy route in the beginning. But to me..............that means I would have missed the opportunity to use my brain, my hands and my tools to craft what I wanted. And therein lies at least half the fun...........

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trike Trunk Lock Guard - "Ric's Soup Bowl Hamster Dam"

Here is a quick video from inside the trunk Mike. Not the final thing yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts