V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got the nerve to go WOT with my soon to be wife on the back , expecting from these posts to feel the secondaries give me that rush you all talk about and NOTHING......
I am a lay-person when it comes to carbs. I mean to say the engine progressed well, but that extra 2 barrels were not to be felt!
It's a 1999 SBZZ4, with a stock 750 Edlebrock. I have read Carb Mikes' posts' 5 times and still really don't know what to look for. A screw underneathe. 0 tension, then 7/8" of a turn on a different screw.
Can anyone help me, before I call Lima Boss Hoss?

Dave in Columbus

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Turn the throttle farther, I'm guessing they are there but you really need to grab a handful to hit the secondaries unless you do the quick throttle mod.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Dave,

Before you try the throttle again, make sure your throttle tension screw (on the bottom of the twistgrip ass'y) is almost turned all of the way out.

If that screw has been turned in to keep the rpms up or just inadvertently, it will catch on the cable groves inside and limit you to about 50% throttle....ask Wag :lol:

Tehn try Lamontstip, reach around and grab a HANDFUL of that bad boy :wink:

Tim

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hi Dave, The first thing to check is to see if you are getting a full pull on the throttle cable to the carb. (with the engine off) Have someone twist the throttle for you as you look under the tank on the left side. Watch the linkage as they open it up. Once it's twisted all the way reach under the tank and see if you can open the carb up any more by hand. If you can then you are not opening the carb all the way with the grip. Make sure there is no slack in the throttle cable. It has to be tight. And take the throttle stop knob out from under the grip. Those have been known to hang things up.

If those check out. Then it has to be the secondary lock-out is kicking in. Either tiewrape the choke open or brake the lockout tab off. It's on the right side on the lower butterfly's.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Lamont, Hawk & Mike,
Will try a hardy handfull from a 40-50 MPH roll-out today and see what happends.
Mike, I took the screw almost all the way out, until 1 day I noticed it no longer is there :shock: but I will try with the engine off a full throttle and see if maybe the cable might be alittle loose.

Dave in Columbus

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Dave,
Exactly as Carb Mike said, but if you have a working choke, hold it open even if the engine is warmed up, (engine off of course) while you twist the throttle to test for secondary operation.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Bump

Mike or anyone,
I'm OK on the secondaries kicking in (as you noticed in Erie a few weeks ago) but about half the time when I come down afterwards it sits on fast idle rather then idle and I have to goose it briefly to kick it down. What would cause that? Not a big issue but makes stopping it after accelerating a bit harder and is certainly annoying. I'll be out of town for two days so I may not be able to check back on the site until Thursday afternoon.
Thanks,
Conrad

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I found I had alot of play in the throttle cable. What I did was to loosen the idle screw and adjust the cable for proper idle. I let the bike warm up (150 degrees), shut it off and then looked at the carb with WOT. The secondary arm (bottom of cab, left side) appears to open to 45 degrees to 55 degrees, is that enough to feel the rush or do I need 80-90 degree opening?

Dave in Columbus

·
Registered
526 Posts
Might think about going to the Demon----I never could get my Quadra Jet to work right! BH has finally realized the error and will use the Demon on the 06 for both the SB and the BB.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Interesting, as I have run "Demon's" on both my small block and
current big block.

Wonder which model they will use??

Geezer

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Dave , you shouldn't be adjusting your idle speed with the cable if that's what you are doing . You should first adjust your idle speed at the carb throttle stop screw . Once you get that where you want it { about 600 to 800 rpms } then you adjust the slack out of you cable with the cable adjuster so you have very little to no slack in the cable and make sure your idle speed doesn't change with the engine running . Also with the engine running in neuteral , turn you handle bars in both directions and make sure you idle speed doesn't increase . If it does , back off on you cable tension slightly and try it again until all is well .

Jack

·
Registered
526 Posts
Geezer said:
Interesting, as I have run "Demon's" on both my small block and
current big block.

Wonder which model they will use??

Geezer
Don't know but the highlights for the 06 Models just said Demon. About time, BH started making these bikes with a little more performance. The "I ride a V8 so I must be high performance" attitude will definitely benefit from this change. The other issue is hookup which they will not address because of the weak drive train (mine is currently down due to a broken reverse) which will cost quite a bit to solve but I would pay the money for a more robust unit. The other change that I liked was the incorporation of the control displays on the tank display including a fan on and a gear position indicator.

That was the good the bad is that they are so ugly now with the new sheet metal that I would not buy one. Just my taste but they look like a Indian motorcycle.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Jack,

It is on-line but the public cannot view it unless you are a Dealer. Lots of 05 units they want to sell so it will be a while before the factory posts the updates.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is "some" 06 info if you worm around on bosshossdirect.com. There are about 4 photo's and pricing information but no long drawn out explanations as to what's new and improved.

Ralphie

1 - 20 of 62 Posts