V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

Broken dip stick

6K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Zenbiker 
#1 ·
To any and all mechanics out there! I went to Myrtle and had a great time, BUT I came home, cleaned the bike and checked the oil. That's when I found the bottom 4" of my dip stick is gone. :evil: How difficult is it to remove the oil pan and should this be where I find the piece?

#2 ·
Hi Rob, If it broke off in the engine, it will be laying in the bottom of the oil pan.

Pulling the pan is a big job.

If the dip stick is magnetic. I would first try draining the oil and fish around through the drain plug hole with a magnet. If that doen't work. Pull the distributer and do the same.

That would be the fastest and best way.

#4 ·
I would think you could probably just leave it in the pan. It can't go anywhere. The pickup has a screen on it, and if it is magnetic, it's stuck to something like the side of the pan. Just my thoughts.

I'm no expert about this kind of stuff. What do you guys think? Just leave it there until the day comes when you have a problem and the pan MUST come off.

Bryan

#5 ·
I would take Mikes advice and drop the oil.....get a long neck magnet and see if you can locate the piece. Not sure about the configuration of these pans (Geezer ?) but they most likely have windage trays in them which will keep you from having complete access to the pan......

Only problem I could envision is the engine at high rpm and the damned thing deciding to go "swimming". Ouch ! Don't think you can get the pan off without pulling the motor out.

Tim

#6 ·
A neighbor of mine a long time ago, had help building a motor for his stock car. After the motor assembly was complete his helper couldn't find the oil pan drain plug, so he just got another one. On initial start up the motor sounded awesome, instant throttle response, open headers singing away, then bang, the crankshaft found the missing drain plug that had been placed in the oil pan for safekeeping. Quite a nice size hole in the side of the block.
But what harm could a little piece of dipstick do :twisted:

#8 ·
I just couldn't leave it in there either. The turbulence at speed might make it do crazy things like trashing your engine. Probably not but living with that possibility in your head would not be acceptable to me.
I'd start by removing the dipstick tube. Maybe it will be standing up and the broken edge will be reachable. If not, maybe a thin magnet down into the dipstick tube hole will do the trick...Just a thought and the way I'd go first...Joe

#10 ·
zenbiker said:
I just couldn't leave it in there either. The turbulence at speed might make it do crazy things like trashing your engine. Probably not but living with that possibility in your head would not be acceptable to me.
I'd start by removing the dipstick tube. Maybe it will be standing up and the broken edge will be reachable. If not, maybe a thin magnet down into the dipstick tube hole will do the trick...Just a thought and the way I'd go first...Joe
I'm with you, Joe. A couple of years ago I rebuild a Ford 460 BB from
ground up. The engine was back in my Lincoln and broken in, when I
decided to turn the vacuum pod in another direction just for "optic"
reasons. Cylinder#1 at TDC - then I pulled the new Mallory dist. I didn't
noticed that I pulled the oil pump drive as well, which shouldn't happen.
The oil pump drive was secured with a snap ring, which was somehow
slipping over the pump drive. At the point when the dist was 3/4 way out I
heard the snap ring fallen into the oil pan. DAMN! I fished one day without
success thru all openings. Then I thought about 2 days what to do now. All
my friend told me not to worry about it and they would leave it in. But I
couldn't live with that. I lifted the engine 10" up, and dropped the pan just
to get this damn small ring out. Probably it wouldn't have hurt anything if
I would have left it in, but who knows for sure???...

Loaf

#13 ·
Rob, How in the hell can you break the bottom 4" of a dipstick off?? Ya think it was the burn out at Myrtle Beach :?: I hope ya get it solved. I couldn't...wouldn't..... want it in my pan. Remember, if all else fails, hire it done. A hammer and chisle won't work here. My best to you my friend. Later..Steve 8)

#15 ·
I second Mike's request. We're all waiting to hear about the broken dipstick Rob.........Where are you???? Steve

#18 ·
Anyone know of Rob's phone number. Its not like him to not respond to us. I hope everything is OK.........
Rob...Rob.....Rob....... are you there??????????
Steve

#19 ·
Sorry Guys, I have been working every day for the past couple of weeks. I have not had any luck with the dipstick but I also have not tried very hard yet. :oops: All I can do is to drain the oil and see what I find. I have been told dropping the oil pan is no small task. And for you Steve; if you didn't make me do that burn-out I may not be in this position! :p

#21 ·
I'll tell you what I would do. Buy a rare earth magnet and slap it on the bottom of the pan and forget about it till your ready to pull the pan. That magnet is so strong that it will hold that dip stick so it won't go anywhere and it will pickup any other steel wear particles you might have.

#22 ·
I agree with Lamont . I bought a couple of these magnets , 2" dia . and they are super super powerful . I would place one or two 2" magnets right next to the drain hole . The magnet may draw the broken dip stick to where you can fish it out the drain hole or it will hold it there so it can't move around . You will probably be suprised at all the other debris these magnets will attract

Jack

#23 ·
Broken record here.

I couldn't do it. I'd be twisting wrenches until I resolved this problem one way or another. My eyes would have to see into that pan or I wouldn't be able to ride very far.

Maybe Jimmy Hoffa is in there. You just wouldn't know until you look and confirm.

#24 ·
Lamont, I like that idea. I was told by my dealer that the piece can't fit through the screen, but if there is a way to at least keep it stationary as you guys recomend, I would feel alot better. :x I would love to get it out, but that is just to much for me to try myself. Can you tell me where to find those magnets? Thank you in advance.

#25 ·
Rob-BH350 said:
Lamont, I like that idea. Can you tell me where to find those magnets? Thank you in advance.
Did a search and found these links.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/
http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/
It's a good idea to take heed to this too, they will bite you if your not careful. :shock:
Safety
Handling of Rare-Earth Magnets

Rare-Earth magnetic products should be handled with care. These magnets are very powerful and can accelerate a great speeds toward each other and toward ferrous material. When these magnets come together quickly, they can shatter and break sending particles at high speed. These magnets can also pinch strongly if allowed to come together against the skin. You should always wear gloves and eye protection when handling strong rare-earth magnets.

#26 ·
I placed one of these 2" rare earth magnets on top of a metal cabinet where I store nut, bolts , etc. , and the magnet drew a bunch of nuts out of the top drawer and they stuck to the inside of the cabinet where the magnet was placed . These are some powerful magnets .

I originally bought these magnets to stick on the bottom of my oil filters .

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.