V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the one I put on last week and rode only 15 miles or so was defective. I tried to ride in to work this morning on my bike and got only 2 miles from home before it died on me. This time the pump was only slightly warm to the touch. Heat was not the cause. I spent the morning rounding up yet another pump, put it on (I'm getting very good at doing this job) and rode it back to the house.

For those who are aware of my problem, I relocated the pump to a cooler location away from the engine and bell housing, but I haven't done my re-wiring yet. I've been riding it with the driving lights off to save amps. I was going to take it to a friends place today to do that work but didn't make it. DANG!!!!!!

This makes number 5 since I purchased the bike in December. I've been using the stock universal pump #E 8012 S. I believe that I need to keep the pump in the new, cooler location and the new Carter pump is too large to fit there. If I go to the Carter pump, I'll have to mount it in front of the battery, near the hot bell housing. It gets hot here in Tallahassee....96 and very humid today. Maybe the last pump was just defective.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Redtro...
I have 7500 miles on my 05 bike using the new carter pump. Here in the valley we see temps of 95-105 all the time. No problems so far...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Go with the Carter, no problems with ours since we installed over a year ago.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Call Curtis---he thinks it may be the fuse box or possibly the master relay. Take the fuel pump off of the fuse box --put a in-line 30 amp fuse on that wire and put it on the switched side of the master relay. That will eliminate everything but the fuel pump and master relay. If everything is still running when the pump is not then it is the pump---low voltage will also burn that pump up. Curtis HIGHLY recommends going to the new style fuel pump!

BUMMER!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Many of us in 2000 changed over to the Carter Pump. In 2001 when
the 502 was introduced, the engine would fall flat on it's face due to
lack of fuel when the secondary's were open, with the small fuel pump
that was standard back then.

I have yet to hear of a failure of the Carter pump.

Geezer

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Busa Dave said:
Call Curtis---he thinks it may be the fuse box or possibly the master relay. Take the fuel pump off of the fuse box --put a in-line 30 amp fuse on that wire and put it on the switched side of the master relay. That will eliminate everything but the fuel pump and master relay. If everything is still running when the pump is not then it is the pump---low voltage will also burn that pump up. Curtis HIGHLY recommends going to the new style fuel pump!

BUMMER!!!!!! :(
The wiring that I was planning to do today is just what your talking about. I've already bought a 80 amp relay with plans to run both the fuel pump and the water pump though that and get them off the fuse block entirely. The fuel pump and water pump are on the same fuse on my bike and at idle rpm's I was getting only 11.74 volts with the driving lights on. When I raise the rpm's I get over 13 volts on that circuit. When I turn off the driving lights at idle speed, I'm getting 11.96 volts on that circuit. I planned to fix that today but didn't make it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There is a wiring diagram floating around from Neil Weber that changes the primary wiring on our bikes to #8 wiring with one of the changes being that you feed the top and bottom of the fuse block. After I made the changes, my bike runs almost 14 volts at idle and barely moves when the fan kicks in. Very big improvement. I'll try to find it.

Chris

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I rewired mine per Neil Webers diagram using # 8 wire with the same results as Chris . Huge difference . Should be done new from the factory and I think owners would have a lot less electical problems .

I know the Carter is a great pump but after 3500 miles , no problem with the Holley red . If I do , Carter it is .

Jack

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Redtro,
Lamonster never has problems like you because he "babies" his bike. The bike will seldom break when you idle it around town. :D Great picture and captions!
Conrad

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
So when you inspect the pump, what's wrong with it? Melted down, brushes, open windings, broken wires? Do tell. Different wreckage tells different problems.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I had the except same problem that you are having and it was a faulty fuse block. After replacing it I have never had another problem. The possible of having 2 or even 3 bad fuel pumps in a row is almost impossible. The reason the water pump and the fuel pump is on the same fuse, is in case the water pump freezes up it will blow the fuse and kill the motor.

Adrian

·
Registered
175 Posts
I too added the #8 wire per Neil. I run it along with the existing wire. All you do is run from your alternator to the starter to the master relay. Then run from the master relay to the fuse panel. Neil runs two wires to the fuse panel but I only ran one. As was said before the voltage hardly ever drops except at idle. Also Neil hooks up the second wire on the alternator and gets rid of the low voltage on idle.

Bill

·
Registered
131 Posts
pumps

Redtro, I have 45k on my STOCK pump in the stock location. You must have some other problem causing the pump to go bad. Call the factory or Mountain Boss Hoss for some advice on what to look for.

My guess would be some kind of electrical problem.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions. I do plan to upgrade some of the wiring, and if no one else is having the problem with the Carter pump located in the heat in front of the battery, I guess it's time for me to make a change. Does anyone have a part number for the Carter pump?

Nice captions Lamont...hey, took any "mature" ladies for a ride on your bike lately?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
crazymf said:
So when you inspect the pump, what's wrong with it? Melted down, brushes, open windings, broken wires? Do tell. Different wreckage tells different problems.
The universal pump that's stock on my bike is a sealed unit and can't be dissasembled without a hack saw. Maybe I should take a look inside!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts