V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a Bridgestone Spitfire 11R rear tire installed on the front of my Boss Hoss ZZ4 '57 Chevy trike this weekend.

I chose the tire for three primary reasons:
- Higher weight rating than the Metzler ME880 that was on it (67H vs 57H)
- Lower cost than the Metzler ME880
- Raised white letters (to go with the BF Goodrich Radial T/A's on the rear)

The Bridgestone tire is designated as a rear motorcycle tire and is the same size as the Metzler (130/90-16), but it is a little more rounded across the top than the Metzler. The Metzler is pretty close to being flat-footed across the treads.

The tire rides a little more choppy than the Metzler at slow speeds, but it's easier to deal with in slow turns (especially when parking) because of the more curved shape across the treads. It doesn't fight the turn as much as the Metzler did. It also makes turning the handlebars a breeze when parked (getting fuel).

At high speeds, I really couldn't tell a difference. I decided to take both hands off the bars on a newly paved stretch of freeway at around 75 to 80 MPH. The trike tracked straight and true. The steering stabilizer/damper did its job. The (more curved) Bridgestone tire didn't fight back.

Overall this appears to be a worthy tire. I've put only a few hundred freeway miles on it and very few miles around town, so it's too early to know for sure.

Unless I got confused, tire pressure is 50 PSI.

Front axle torque is 50 Lbs-Ft (recommended for 2001 BH with inverted forks and 3/4" axle).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Looks really good... something to keep in mind for my next tire change! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tread Depth

I got curious, so I decided to go out and measure the tread depth. It's 3/16". Considering I didn't even have 1/32" left on the Metzler, I'd say that's pretty flippin' deep!

No idea how it will handle in rain yet. We get less than 2" of the liquid sunshine per year, so I'll just have to catch a patch in California or northern AZ some day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts