V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new Boss Hoss owner, thought I share my shopping experiences for insurance and for shipping.

I'm in California age 46, ride 8k a year, no insurance claims in 30 years, havent been caught doing naughty stuff yet :lol: (the 95 in a 55 zone ticket past a prison on my Valk didnt get recorded heh heh)

I went with GMAC per Adrian's recommend and shopping around. It really gets old telling people what a boss hoss is and how to spell it. I'm not a GMAC customer so I figured I could lower the quote if I move my other lines to them...later project
My cost with GMAC is $708 per year with 250 deduct or $624 with a 500 deduct. I went with the 500 deduct. (I put 500 aside to go to the gym and buff up so I can lift this gorilla off the sidestand). Not bad seeing that my 6 year old Valk is costing me $319 a year with progressive.

Coverage was for
Bodily injury 100k/300k
Prop Dam 50K
Passenger liability 15k/30k
Uninsured Motorist 30k/60k
Free $1500 accessory coverage

Compared to the 250 deductible from GMAC for $708 per year
Geico wanted $1621
Progressive wanted $1890
State Farm $900
Metlife $1000
and many other hysterical quotes inbetween...

Also...I shipped my bike with keyboard motorcycle shipping
http://www.samscycle.com/transport_rates.html
$700 COD for 1600 mile trip including surcharge for delivering to a residence. This was the cheapest quote compared with JPcycles, Allied etc
I guess rates went up with fuel prices etc and the extra hassle of a big bike like the Boss. Some folks treat the Boss Hoss as two bikes, so their shipping quotes were over $1000.

Rubber side spinnin'
Aldo

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hoss, I got progressive, live in Wisconsin, 571.00 year on the 2005 and 417.00 per year on the 2003 trike..total 988.00.
bodily.....50-100,000
property...25,000
unisured motorist...50-100,000
deduct collision 500.00
deduct comprehensive 250.00
We can't get GMAC in Wisc..at least I couldn't when I asked my agent. Said GMAC pulled from Wisc or maybe its just cause I'm Norwegian. Anyway, doesn't seem to bad compared to yours. I know this has been discussed before, but sometimes for the sake of new members it helps. Just my 3 cents.......Steve

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I think mine is about $650/year with everything including 2 million liability. Sounds like insurance is slightly different in Canada than USA.

I have collision, which covers my bike if I damage it. I don't know my deductable for sure , probably $500, could be higher.

I also have comprehensive, which covers damage to my vehicle if I hit wildlife or hail. That also covers fire, vandalism and theft. Not sure on the deductable.

I have a clean license.
stu

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I have been using GMAC for some time now and there price has beat all I have tried by a bunch. 2 Boss Hoss Trikes, Rune, KLR 650, TW-200, and a V Star 650, cost is $1,800 per year. I have had 3 losses (Boss Hoss, and Mean Streak at the same time for $35,000) and a SS/454 Pick Up stolen with no rate hikes yet (knock on wood).

Adrian

·
Registered
121 Posts
My ordeal in North Carolina was a nightmare... I went to no less than 13 agencies tryin to get a policy.. finally got one under my homeowners policy ( ERIE) and its about 740/year...

NC is a tough state to get bike insurance in anyway, when you add like you said the BH and explaining its 5700 CCs it just compounds it...

you got a good deal from what I see,,,, enjoy the new ride!

MosaV8!

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
G'day Aussie Rob

I would chrome my insurance if I could, but I understand your question.

Having spent 7 years of my life in Brisbane Australia, and having my brother, mother and sister (somewhere in the outback around Tennants Creek), I know Aussies love to take the mickey out of everything. Chroming insurance...really!

7 most enjoyable years of my life was spent in Brisbane. My job sent me to Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Rockhampton and Townsville. I worked as a geek for a pathology software company.
Never drank so much beer in all my life, never had so many near misses before, never laughed so much, lost my driers license for speeding 3 times at the same intersection on my 1981 Kawasaki GPZ1100B, never been sworn at so much by people who loved me. My house and pool parties were outrageous too! We built gates between our houses just so we could stumble home after the parties, that's how cool my neighbours were.

I'm a mixed up guy,born in Cape Town South Africa, still an Aussie citizen with 2 of my 3 kids born there, US permanent resident alien, 2 of my daughters carry Swiss, South African and Aussie passports and I married a nice True Blue genuine Southern Belle from Virginia who is a lifetime Hog member and former newsletter editor of the San Jose Hog Chapter. Walks around with a titanium rod in her right leg from a bad motorcycle accident in 1989 and wears it with pride.

Whenever I get homesick for Australia, besides calling my bro, I buy another Rodney Rude or Kevin Bloody Wilson album, or dig out my old Rolf Harris stuff and choke on a beer laughing. I still remember Hogues, when he had his TV show. How far Paul Hogan has come.

Someone asked me how come some many Aussie guys were winning motorcycle races. I said...the entire country is covered with kids that are insane. Will do anything for a laugh, so winning bike races is a yawn for them. And they aint dumb either!

Hats off to you mate..now on yer bike!

Keep the rubber side spinnin'. if you ever come to San Francisco or thereabouts, drop me a line. It'll be my shout!

Aldo

·
Registered
213 Posts
HossZZ4 said:
My cost with GMAC is $708 per year with 250 deduct or $624 with a 500 deduct. I went with the 500 deduct. (I put 500 aside to go to the gym and buff up so I can lift this gorilla off the sidestand). Not bad seeing that my 6 year old Valk is costing me $319 a year with progressive.

Coverage was for
Bodily injury 100k/300k
Prop Dam 50K
Passenger liability 15k/30k
Uninsured Motorist 30k/60k
Free $1500 accessory coverage
Check to see what the price drop is if you eliminate the uninsured motorist. I have the number for the carrier Mountain uses. Said it will cost me 600 and change from central PA to OKC. I am using "Big Jim" who hauls Big Dog Choppers for Big Dog for around 500 for the same distance. I have thier number too if you want it.

Mike

·
Registered
404 Posts
Re: G'day Aussie Rob

HossZZ4 said:
I would chrome my insurance if I could, but I understand your question.

Having spent 7 years of my life in Brisbane Australia, and having my brother, mother and sister (somewhere in the outback around Tennants Creek), I know Aussies love to take the mickey out of everything. Chroming insurance...really!

7 most enjoyable years of my life was spent in Brisbane. My job sent me to Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Rockhampton and Townsville. I worked as a geek for a pathology software company.
Never drank so much beer in all my life, never had so many near misses before, never laughed so much, lost my driers license for speeding 3 times at the same intersection on my 1981 Kawasaki GPZ1100B, never been sworn at so much by people who loved me. My house and pool parties were outrageous too! We built gates between our houses just so we could stumble home after the parties, that's how cool my neighbours were.

I'm a mixed up guy,born in Cape Town South Africa, still an Aussie citizen with 2 of my 3 kids born there, US permanent resident alien, 2 of my daughters carry Swiss, South African and Aussie passports and I married a nice True Blue genuine Southern Belle from Virginia who is a lifetime Hog member and former newsletter editor of the San Jose Hog Chapter. Walks around with a titanium rod in her right leg from a bad motorcycle accident in 1989 and wears it with pride.

Whenever I get homesick for Australia, besides calling my bro, I buy another Rodney Rude or Kevin Bloody Wilson album, or dig out my old Rolf Harris stuff and choke on a beer laughing. I still remember Hogues, when he had his TV show. How far Paul Hogan has come.

Someone asked me how come some many Aussie guys were winning motorcycle races. I said...the entire country is covered with kids that are insane. Will do anything for a laugh, so winning bike races is a yawn for them. And they aint dumb either!

Hats off to you mate..now on yer bike!

Keep the rubber side spinnin'. if you ever come to San Francisco or thereabouts, drop me a line. It'll be my shout!

Aldo
Hey Aldo,

looks like you have some seriously fond memories of Oz. Sounds to me that with you would have had a good time wherever you spent your formative years - I reckon just about every Boss Hoss rider could rattle off a story like yours cause it all comes down to attitude. Good attitute = good life.
San Francisco ay...watch out each year for a knock on the door about national rally time, I might just turn up!!

By the way, other than the personal liability insurance that comes automatically with registration, there's just no way I could afford insuring my bike - IF I could find a company that would do it in the first place. I guess it's risk I'm prepared to take.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I wouldn't drop the uninsured/underinsured coverages from your policy. There are alot of people out there with either no insurance or only 20/40/10 coverage. We knew alot of our seasonal help at our farm drove in with either no insurance, same plate fits any car and who cares about a license or suspended license. Those coverages (or lack of any) sure as hell is not going to go very far if they hit you. I filed against my insurance carrier over 10 years ago under that clause to cover expenses but retracted when we finally found the other guy had sufficient coverages. Have a friend that got screwed cause the other guy was underinsured and there wasn't enough to cover all the bills.
Just my 5 cents.
Glenn

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sage Advice Glenn

Sage Advice Glenn..

It only needs to happen once to ruin your financial picture.

Cheers
Aldo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts