V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I hate to bring it up but saw two big blocks and a small block Boss at ATCO dragway. None of them may it out of the 11's. Each had at least 4 goes at it. I talked to the guys, who were from Phila. area and very pretty cool. They said they didn't power shift but just shifted hard into 2nd.

All definitly had wheel spin off the line. All them would only do solo runs also. One guy had nitrous but said he didn't use it.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Ed...Can you tell me why everyone who does the 1/4 or 1/8th mile has to nail the throttle from a dead stop spinning the tire and losing valuable time? The puppy has to be rolled in at the limits of adhesion but smoke doesn't do it at the drags. Christ! I never nail it from a dead stop even when stoplight racing a hot car. Only for show but not to get best times or to beat the **** out of the competition..
What am I missing here? It's like the big block against the Busa video where the Boss 502 sat there spinning and the Busa was half way down the track when the Boss started to move.
I roll it from a stop and don't hit the secondaries until about 40 mph which gives me the best launch. Get the power to the ground efficiently and forget the show. Explain this obsession with nailing it from the getgo...Joe

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe - don't shoot the messenger. I agree 100%. When I said wheel spin I don't mean 250 feet of rubber. They burned some coming out of the hole , nothing like the run against the busa did. They went pretty straght also down the track as far as I could see. The sound and burn outs they did prior to staging got the crowd up to the fence but that was about it. Lots of trash talk in the stands after each run. I was embarassed for them and I wasn't even the one on the bike.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Ed...certainly not shooting you but just commenting on the way these bikes are launched which seems counter productive. Hey, for all I know I couldn't break 12 seconds! With the weight these bikes carry, the dragstrip is not the place to shine. 40 to 100 mph is where it's at as far as I'm concerned.
BTY...how's your little enterprise going?....Joe

·
Registered
88 Posts
Fast Eddie, where in S Jersey are you from? I'm just outside A.C. and haven't seen any other Bosses in the area. My wife has a 63 vette, and a 350 bike for myself. We would love to hook up with other Bosses for a ride. :D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Ed:

Someday we have got to get together over a case of beer about this
subject. Too much to discuss on the board.

Heck, I even buy and pick you up at the Milwaukee airport...heehee

Geezer :beer3:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ed, you knew I'd pop up on this one right?! You're saw the real deal with respect to the Bosses at the track. The guys you reference must have been glued together or they would have mistakenly done a WOT shift into overdrive...and possibly scattered tranny parts all over. That's the best times a stock or slightly modified Boss is going to see. Not very impressive in the bike world as there are at least a dozen or more models that will see low to mid 10's and three production Jap bikes capable of high 9's.

Joe's reference to rolling on to prevent wheel spin is fine in theory but with that gradual roll, the clock is ticking at the track. A sportbike with a serious launch will be halfway down the track by the time it's time to go to the throttle stop and secondaries on the V8. Just doesn't work at the track effectively. Better off with a drop of wheel spin and quickly in the big torque range. I know 40-100 mph feels great Joe, and with your stroker motor it may be an exception, but there are a host of Jap bikes that will spank a stock 350 or bigblock in that speed range too.

As mentioned, best 1/8th mile time in our group, a 6.05, with a HIGHLY modified smallblock with a 300+ hp, 2 stage nitrous shot and a BIG street/strip tire. Doug is also an excellent dragracer. I continually marvel at Marv's and some of the Minnesota guys breaking 6 seconds. Their bikes don't resemble stock machines however.

In conclusion, settle for looking good and having the coolest ride around when you're on the Boss. Invariably, street or strip, there's quite a few oriental models that will spank a mostly stock V8 convincingly. Unfortunately at the track, there's a desire in the stands to see the underdog win. The crowds will mercilessly critisize the guy riding a 30+thousand dollar V8 knowing an $8k sportbike turns better times. I'm guilty of the same. Last time at the track I about did cartwheels seeing a gal in a Subaru eat this cocky ol' guy in a newer Vette with all his fancy paint and ground effects.

Elliot

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Geeze I'm at the airport where are you? You the guy doing wheelies with a big block trike??? hee hee...

I may really take you up on that someday...

FastEddie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts