V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I not sure if it is appropriate to put this in the "General" forum, because the predominant V8 motorcycle talked about here is the BH, but I'm sure people will let me know right away if it isn't.

Anyway, here's a link I stumbled on yesterday:
http://www.bigbrutev8supercycles.com/

As you can see, it's a Canadian company manufacturing a V8 motorcycle, but API's primary business seems to be manufacturing heavy-duty racing transmissions - http://www.api-racing.com/transmissions.htm - and here - http://www.v8bikes.com/VR-MCT.htm

Their final drive/swingarm setup is quite a bit different than the BH.

Anybody know anything about these bikes and, more specifically, their transmissions?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Tony... don`t just walk away... RUN....Vic richards who owns API is a flake and doesn`t stand behind his stuff.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I am sure you have never heard of Vic Richards and some folks on this board has also not heard of him. HE IS CROOK and will rip you off in a heart beat. His tranny is supposed to be good but go back in our post from yester years you will see what I mean. My friend Reilly bought one and it took 4 years to get it working where as he had to get some one here in the USA to build a shaft strong enough to hold the Stock Boss Hoss.

Adrian

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Tony,

We discuss the BH predominantly on this board because it IS the predominant V8 motorcycle in the world. Simple as that.

If you think there aren't very many BH's, remember that Big Brute probably built around 35 to 40 total in all history.....Kannon didn't do too much better before the economic woes caught up to them......

Vic @ Big Brute/API wrote a lot of checks with his "mouth" (typing fingers) that his tranny and bikes couldn't cash.......he was one of the initial product developers for the Boss and he and Monte had a"falling out" somewhere along the line.....he was out & NESCO was in.

Hopefully guys like Breedlove and V8 Choppers can garner a little more success in their endeavors.....they definitly have the advantage of entering the market way better educated about the products than most were.....

Lamont, maybe you could create a "survey" for us......just a simple totalling box......how many BH owners, Kannon owners, Big Brute owners and "about to be owners" and lurkers on the site......

Tim

·
Registered
543 Posts
The big brute was a pretty cool looking and a well engineered bike. Unfortunately Vic was not a good business man nor was he customer oriented. He definitely knows how to build a bullet proof tranny because he builds them for 2000 hp drag machines. Long story with him developing the two speed tranny for Boss Hoss then Boss sticking to him also. To be fair we have to let that be known.

Vic farmed out too many of the tranny two speed parts and didn't have a quality control.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Eddie,

I was remiss in not including that. But I never did hear the other side of that story, only Vics'......I have learned in 60+ years to only believe things that are recounted from first hand sources who have nothing to gain. And after listening to Vic I have some doubt about the degree of involvement or the commitment Monte made to him........

Elvis,

Darn it I left KingV out..........sorry man, and you know howI feel about them :oops:

Tim

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Big Brute

Tony1M;

I was VERY interested in a Big Brute early on. I had found a "left over" Demo (Barney) @ a fair price as well.

I had read enough during my search to that point, and conversed with enough Big Brute owners to still not have a "warm Fuzzy".

I called Vic to ask about Warranty issues. His response was basically, "If it has T...(Hooters) or Spark Plugs your going to have problems".

I never looked back.

Git-R-Done HAWK
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
One thing to remember is the availability of repalcement parts.......and I'm not talking about driveline.......somebody here recenlty was involved in an accident on a Kannon, and I think the insurance company totalled the bike, in part due to lack of replacement parts (?)

If you trash a Kannon, Big Brute, or another "non-current" brand, your chances of repair parts is gonna be slim and/or none unless you buy a parts bike.

At least Boss Hoss is still in business and producing parts and we have a virtual grab bag full of talent and knowledge on this site to assist in anything from oil changes for the newbie, to full blown restoration and fabrication for the builder.

Tim

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Barry

Why are you not a dealer in your world? Seems like Boss Hoss factory would want you.

Adrian

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts
Adrian,

I do promote the Boss Hoss out in Western Canada...sold Bryan Ward his Boss Hoss..

I work thru the Canadian Distributor in Ontario, Boss Hoss of Toronto..

That is why I sold 2 new Boss Hoss 350 bikes in March and am now riding the 2006 502 with another unpainted 2006 502 sitting on the showroom floor...
The factory has been great to me in the past 4 years...

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I know if I were younger I would become a dealer or at least a service center. The main reason I didn't try earlier was I love to go and ride baby ride. Even as a Boss Hoss lover I keep busy working on other folks Boss's and I enjoy it.

Adrian

·
Registered
0 Posts
I not sure if it is appropriate to put this in the "General" forum, because the predominant V8 motorcycle talked about here is the BH, but I'm sure people will let me know right away if it isn't.

Anyway, here's a link I stumbled on yesterday:
http://www.bigbrutev8supercycles.com/

As you can see, it's a Canadian company manufacturing a V8 motorcycle, but API's primary business seems to be manufacturing heavy-duty racing transmissions - http://www.api-racing.com/transmissions.htm - and here - http://www.v8bikes.com/VR-MCT.htm

Their final drive/swingarm setup is quite a bit different than the BH.

Anybody know anything about these bikes and, more specifically, their transmissions?
Hi Tony.I used to help buiold these Big Brute v8's They still make the trany but not the bike.You can contact them by e-mail on the web page.
I am trying to send you a picture of one of the bikes in the building process. Thanks. Bill Z

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ok I may have been confused way back, on the API / Boss Hoss origional two speed tranny design issue ? I was thinking that Vic R. was contacted by Monte to design a new tranny, which he did ! But did Monty want exclusive rights to it, and Vic wanted to market his design also ? So Monte went else where, hence Nesco ? Please correct me here, Thanks, Craig H.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Ok I may have been confused way back, on the API / Boss Hoss origional two speed tranny design issue ? I was thinking that Vic R. was contacted by Monte to design a new tranny, which he did ! But did Monty want exclusive rights to it, and Vic wanted to market his design also ? So Monte went else where, hence Nesco ? Please correct me here, Thanks, Craig H.
Just the name of Vic R makes several folks sick from the rip offs he has done to them.
My Friend John in Oregon has had to spend several 1000's of dollars trying to fix the junk and finally had to throw it in the trash can. Ended up with a 2 speed clutch bike.

Adrian

·
Premium Member
7,038 Posts

Monte met Vic in Dayton in '98 I beleive.

Monty told Vic that he wished he had an automatic tranny for the Boss Hoss.

Vic told hin...no problem...he could do it and so Monte gave him $50,000 to develop.

When compelte Monte sent a Boss Hoss to Toronto to install the tranny into and Monte went up after and demo rode it...it was exactlywhat he wanted.

According to Vic.... Monte then seemed to want to just take the tranny design South and run with it kind of keeping Vic out of the loop of profits.

According to Monte...Vic saw $$$$ and wanted to up the price of each tranny from the original deal.

I believe Monte fully...they parted ways

There was a court battle of sorts and Monte left with the Boss Hoss and no tranny and Vic was left holding a tranny with no V8 bike for it.

Monte then found Nesco who in a short time gave Monte the automatic tranny he was advertising already when he thought there was a deal with Vic...albeit a 1 speed.

Vic thought he would beat Monte at his own game and develop his own V8 bike around his tranny...he built about 15 bikes of which I owned 3 and screwed enough people on different things that nobody wanted to deal with him anymore...even his son who was building the bikes.

I beleive that the Big Brute bike as a whole was a better designed bike compared to the Boss Hoss at the same time...lots of cool engineering things that I noticed were not there when I bought my first Hoss.

Here are a few of the design things I liked and noticed:

- all the gages were in a panel on the tank that came off with about 4 1/4 turn zurks screws and you could take that panel and lay it on a table beside the bike while still attached...there was enough wiring...2 minute job

- the gas tank then was removed by 2 screws at the back and it fit up front with 2 front facing U supports that it just slid into and the gas tank now could also be laid on a table beside the bike without disconeecting..easy to work on gages or the tank or the carb...2 minute job

- the swingarm pivot points were in complete alignment with the tranny output shaft whcih meant the when the swingarm moved with the suspension the belt was always the same tension...AND the wningarm pivot points had 2 - 21/2 inch bearings...that's right...actual bearings.

- the alternator was above the frame...not below and was looking cleaner and out of the water.

- the tranny was electrically shifted with solenoids...the high/low light switch was where you shfted the tranny...quite unique...then the lhigh/low light switch was actually a car dimmer switch beside the floorboards.

like I said...lots of good engineering designs...Vic should have been locked in a room and then slid all his designs under the door to the outside world and NEVER should have run the company.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I believe we have 2 in my area....I first saw the big brute when I went to the Mustang ranch in Reno on an HA Easyriders run....That was Clark WIlliford in my area that had one. He swore by them. Mt local striper, Mike I think still has one in storage.....He let me sit on it one time before I bought the banana...Scared the crap out of me when I fired it up. As Barry said, lots of good ideas...company just couldnt get it off the ground in any big numbers.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts