V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost the throttle cable (broke at the hand grip) and had to call TBH to come get it again and this time it was not my fault! Well maybe mostly not my fault---too many twists of the throttle to the stop finally took its toll! Got it back on the road and TBH made a new cable that was larger in diameter but would still work in the casing. For those of you that no longer use the factory carb and have it set up for a short twist to full open be advised the cable needs to be strengthened as I am not the only one this has happened to. TBH did another last week that had to be brought in on the trailer as well.

While I was at TBH Redtro called me to let me know how happy he was with his paint and to tell me he posted the pics. I looked at them (along with everyone else at the shop) and we talked about it for a while with the only word that adequately describes that paint is DANM!!! Can’t wait to see the tank---I know who is going to paint mine and after seeing Redtro’s it will be sooner than later.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Dave,
a broken throttle cable isn't unusual. Therefore it is suggestable to
carry a spare cable with you like I and most others do. Try to change it
yourself before you bring it to a dealer. It's not hard to do, and you can't
destroy anything if you do it wrong. Someday it maybe happens on the road in the middle of nowhere at 1 am - and then you are prepared if you
know how to change it. My cable broke right after I bought the bike, too.

Loaf

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Throttle Cable

Dave;

I used a "gazillion speed" bicycle cable to "get home" ($2.50ish).

None of the OEM or fixer-upper shops in the Melbourne Fl. area had any cable stock, or an appropriate cable.

Took a few hits with a small jewelers file to remove the unnecessary half of the derailer cable and didn't even have to raise the tank.

Worked so well the new cable is in the bag for a spare!

I concur with Ricks paint! Wow! Must file away his painter info for future!

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks---will make one up and keep in the tool bag!!! On my bike you have to raise the rear of the tank and Curtis at TBH used a coule of pairs of pliers with bends on them that I do not have! The cable that replaced the stock one had to be ground down so that it would work in the throttle grip(ball at the end). I will make sure that the one I make up will work---thanks for the tip---if it will quit raining I am going to wear the rear tire down a little more today. :D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Someone had posted a while back that a 10 speed bicycle cable will work, and I'm glad I remembered that. I broke mine in Florida back in March about 2 hours after we had finished crossing Aligator Alley. That was luck :D

Anyway, we were just pulling into a motel just north of Ft. Myers when it broke. Next morning I went to the Walmart up the road and bought 2 of them for about 5 bucks. Had it fixed in 15 minutes and away we went.

Bryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts