V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a simple way to save a serious fire. I have used mine once and made it worth every cent and time. You could also turn it off and take the red key so it then becomes a real problem for a would be thief.
I also had my starter keep running after I started it and kept running after I turned off the key. This stopped, a could have been, a major problem.

Adrian

·
Registered
616 Posts
Adrian,

Really nice! Would work better on a 2000 and earlier just because of the ease of getting the side panel off vs. having to unscrew on the '01 and later models. I ended up getting those quick-disconnect knobby screws that Marv sells and they're dynamite. Have that side panel off using no tool in a matter of seconds.

Really like your idea and you're right, if you only need it but once....

Elliot 8)

·
Registered
898 Posts
They are a good idea...

I put one on mine right away, mostly for theft but you bring up some good points!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Battery disconnect

I have a battery disconnect also and I am running 2003 side covers on my 2000 . I mounted the disconnect on the left side of the bike on the down tube just behind the front pulley . The side cover conceals it yet I can reach in behind the shock and side cover above the belt and turn it off or on . You have to have one if for no other reason than to turn the power off when working on the bike .

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Craig
Most of the NAPA stores have them but I don't have the part number. I have mine set up so you can turn them on or off with out taking the side cover off. As fast as you can put your hand down to the side is how long it takes to disconnect the Battery. I have the 02 side covers so any one can do it that way if they want.
I cut my cable and bought new ends for them so I didn't have to buy new cables. I have the same disconnects on both bikes and are a snap to install.
One other thing I did was to make up a new 8 gauge wire from the Alternator to the battery conection at the starter. Has nothing to do with the disconnect but is a good idea while you are down there.

Adrian

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure is and works fine.

Adrian

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sounds good in theory . Long term reliability of the quick shutoff is in question. I have used it in two different cars and after a while I was having problems. Car would shut off by itself while cruising etc. Seems that the contacts get pitted tooo quick and just plain stop working-that is not allow current to flow to rest of the system. I took it out and the car ran fine. Bought another one and installed in second car. Same problem after a while. Never again for moi.
Milos

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
barbarianthemadserb said:
Sounds good in theory . Long term reliability of the quick shutoff is in question. I have used it in two different cars and after a while I was having problems. Car would shut off by itself while cruising etc. Seems that the contacts get pitted tooo quick and just plain stop working-that is not allow current to flow to rest of the system. I took it out and the car ran fine. Bought another one and installed in second car. Same problem after a while. Never again for moi.
Milos
Milos

If you live where the weather will cause pitting OR (YOU USE IT A LOT). I seldom use mine because there is no need to unless you have a problem.

Adrian

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I run the same disconnect for 3 years now with no problems . It is made for marine use so I would say it's got to be very weather and corrousion proof.

Jack

·
Registered
544 Posts
Battery Disconnect

On my 02 SB, I mounted the disconnect next to the parking brake buttom, using a bracket off the same mounting as the buttom. This hid the batt. disconnect, but I would have to get off the bike to get to it, didn't need to remove the side cover. I recall cable re-routing was easy. But as Adrian says, it is not something that you would use on a daily basis. Craig

·
Registered
141 Posts
barbarianthemadserb said:
Milos

I don't believe this, how quickly we forget....DIELECTRIC GREASE.....hmmmmmmmmmmm... 8) Steve

·
Registered
423 Posts
battery disconnect

Adrian
I think this is a good idea so I went to Summit Racing and bought the same one that is pictured here.
My question is should I move the alternator wire that runs back to the battery terminal on the starter motor to the battery side of the new disconnect switch to prevent alternator from supplying power to allow engine to cotinue to run after switch is turned off.
Also can you explain the Ford style selonoid that is mounted to the bell housing. It appears to me that it is energized buy a grounding source because there is 12 volts + on one large terminal with a jumper going to the small coil terminal that is hot all the time.
Does any one have a wiring diagram for a 97 smallblock Hoss.
Thanks Wayne

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: battery disconnect

wtrippe said:
Adrian
I think this is a good idea so I went to Summit Racing and bought the same one that is pictured here.
My question is should I move the alternator wire that runs back to the battery terminal on the starter motor to the battery side of the new disconnect switch to prevent alternator from supplying power to allow engine to cotinue to run after switch is turned off.
Also can you explain the Ford style selonoid that is mounted to the bell housing. It appears to me that it is energized buy a grounding source because there is 12 volts + on one large terminal with a jumper going to the small coil terminal that is hot all the time.
Does any one have a wiring diagram for a 97 smallblock Hoss.
Thanks Wayne

I would run the alternator wire to the starter cable if is not already there. It will not be able to keep it running at all but you do not use this to turn off the engine, it is for a safety factor.
The ford style solenoid is the main power up switch. One side goes to the battery and the other goes to the fuse block. The small terminals one goes to the battery side and the other goes to the key switch. When you turn on the switch you are grounding the small side that will energize the solenoid supplying power to the fuse block.

Adrian

·
Registered
423 Posts
I installed the battery disconnect and tested it with the engine running.
Be advised that the engine will continue to run with switch in the off position If you want this switch to be a emergency shut down switch the alternator wire must be rerouted to the battery side of the disconnect switch so the engine doesn't run off the altenator.
Wayne

1 - 20 of 21 Posts