V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All;

Sorry I'm too backwards to post photos yet. Check out this neat website "hotrodsUSA".

I just received the "Special Polished Finned Aluminum Chevy Oil Pans $74.99!

This is a polished Chevrolet aluminum oil pan. Comes in two different configurations: 1980-84 with dip stick on passenger side with 2 pc rear main seal and, the 1985 and up with dipstick on passenger side and 1 pc main seal.

The total price, including DHL shipping was $86.41. It's really heavy cast alum, and has an excellent polish job.

CHOPPERMAN pointed out the drain plug might be a target to hang on something, so I'm going to try and find a "smooth" head fastner for the drain plug.

Thought it was a good price, and worth sharing.

http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/oilpans.html

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oil pan clearence

Joe;

I got the "HRC 5384440" 85 and up, passanger side dipstick, single piece seal (never imagined small block parts would be so difficult to ID and find).

It appears to be nearly the same physical size as the stock steel pan, just the drain plug is all the way aft and possibly easier to hang while on sharp loading, ramps, etc.

I will not be installing this or the trans for about 3 weeks, but will give a full report when I do. Will also shoot inprog photos, and see if Lamont or someone will post the appropriate ones.

Lots of other seemingly "inexpensive" BLING on that site. If it's all the quality of the oil pan, may be worth a look.

PS: I called their tech to help ID the correct pan for me, and he called me back very quickly.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
526 Posts
CRAP---I would love to put one on mine!!!!! Great price but they are for SB only. On my bike the frame has to come apart to get the oil pan off but it would be good to have for the next time it does! Anything to take heat out is good!!! :D

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil Pan

Dave;

My frame has to come apart as well. I'm gathering the "pieces parts" to convert to a 1 speed auto, and will install the pan @ the same time.

Some bonehead (not me this time) crushed the bottom of my pan with a floor jack. Not hi-tech forensics, just perfect indentations!

Peruse that sight a bit, there appears to be LOTS of well priced "stuff". Even billet HEI distributers.

Ride Safe!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FINNED ALUMINUM OIL PAN WILL NOT FIT A 97 Boss Hoss

FINNED ALUMINUM OIL PAN WILL NOT FIT A 97 Boss Hoss

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL:

edited to help keep someone from buying the WRONG oil pan I recommended JLP

I was TOTALLY WRONG on this one!

http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/oilpans.html

The alternator being real close to this pan is not the STOPPER, the Finned Aluminum Oil Pan I bought, and was so proud of WILL NOT FIT, IT WILL NOT CLEAR THE FRONT CROSS-MEMBER on a 97, and Probably won't on a later model Boss Hoss either!

I had no idea it was a larger Capacity than the OEM PAN. I didn't recognize this until Adrian, Jack and Tim brought it to my attention, never even realized it was 1 1/2"-ish inches "Deeper" than the stock pan until I read what you guys posted in that thread, THANK YOU!

Probably kept Pam from having me hauled away in a straight jacket to a rubber room!

I sincerely hope my thread hasn't caused any one else to purchase a really nice looking piece of Garage Art!

If any one wants to see if it will fit a newer Boss, I'll take pics for comparing the OEM to the Aluminum Pan, or send it to you to compare it yourself.

Lamont, I'll pay the packaging and postal fees for the STRESS CARD!
HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jack , thanks for sharing . What will you do now ? Straighten the old pan and repaint seems the most logical thing to do .

Jack

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oil Pan

Jack;

Can't answer that immediately. I'm pretty disgusted right now.

Rick told me I can get a chrome STOCK pan from Summit for $40ish. I went back to my old searches for a oil pan when I discovered mine STUPIDLY bent a year or so ago, and not knowing any better, was obviously pricing whiz bang steel pans for race motors or something.

That's where I got the idea that a steel pan, black, chrome or otherwise cost more than the Alum pan I was so proud of finding. Rick is getting me a Summit number tonight for a pan, and I'll go from there.

One more Stone Wall, and it will be together before Daytona, when I'm way too old to ride it! Getting, and today feeling, way close to that!

I will post the answer to your ? when I figure it out.

HAWK88
Jack Phillips

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Jack...What about a simple call to a dealer or the Boss factory to get a pan that fits? The stockers aren't pretty but they fit..Joe

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pan

Joe;

Also a better idea than my original brain Storm.

I'm taking my pan to a Chevy dealer in the morn also (for show and tell) to see if they can match it. Definitely going to do better research than before.

The Oil Pan is only part of the OOPS! discovered today, I was well wound up before that. For medical reasons, the welder has a 1 week delay doing the L and R aft frame tube mods. He not only already started and invested a lot of time in the project, he's a good friend, whom I'd really offend if I "moved" the project somewhere else. 100 Boss Hoss's are not worth jeopardizing a friendship over IMHO.

Then we (Milo, Danny and I) discovered the alternator bracket has been previously welded, WAY SLOPPY JOB, and is not close to holding the 2 pulleys in alignment. The welder (<I had to change this word several times) had to angle ream the outer hole by about 1/3 to get the adjustment pivot bolt back through it AFTER he spread the ears apart which misaligned them, and the alternator.

etc., etc.

Just hasn't been a fun day, BUT I HAVE A PULSE!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Jack... Again... I think I saw an Alternator bracket on BOSS HOSS CONCEPTS site for 40 bucks. But even if you get a new one.. weld it where it makes the sharp bend on both sides or it will break.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts